C350 MAF Error codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C350W204

Car
C350
Bit of a long one, gonna try to put as much info in as possible as it may help someone else in future.

I have a C350 W204 62-plate 50k miles. Owned the car for 10 months.

A couple of weeks ago, the engine warning light came on. Due to the worry, I couldn't wait 4 days for the main dealer, so took it to an independent garage to have the codes read:
100C00 - upper limit value of MAF sensor reached.
16F400 - ECO Start/Stop low engine speed.
P010A MAF B circuit.

Garage advised likely a new MAF required, cleared codes and advised to note the circumstance if/when it happened again (e.g. cold engine, slow speed, hard acceleration etc)

Car was error free for over a week. Drove it hard as well as stop/start on traffic around town with no problem.

One evening, I set off (cold engine) to go to the petrol station (car was low on fuel). As I set off gently from some traffic lights, the car felt like it was about to stall, but didnt. Engine warning light came on.

Went back out later that evening, and warning light was still on. Next journey (20 mins later) light had gone out.

Next day, car was fine. After work i was in some traffic in town. As I set off under very light acceleration, the car felt like it was going to stall, but then didn't. No engine warning light this time.

The next day, no problem going to work. After work, started the engine and the engine warning light was on!

Taken it to to a garage again today and the following codes came up:
100C00 - upper limit value of MAF B sensor reached.
100E00 - lower limit value of MAF B sensor reached.
P16F400 - ECO Start/Stop low engine speed.
P161400 - something about Air temperature Bank B (can't read hand writing!!)
P16150 - something about Air temperature Bank B (can't read hand writing!!)

Garage have cleared the codes and advised giving it a bit of a run. He said it's not necessarily the MAF, could be something to do with the regeneration(?). He checked the exhaust pressure, and it was 18 psi when he would expect it to be 10 (apparently this points to the regen not kicking in due to the engine light being on.)

I am not a mechanic, so at this point I'm a little lost. The engine light is now off. I have been for an extended run at motorway speeds to kick the regeneration into action. Despite this, I am expecting the light to come on again I the next few days.

In summary, one mechanic told me it's the MAF, and it needs replacing. Another mechanic said it's unlikely to be the MAF - he has never replaced one - and advised that it's possibly the regeneration side of things.

Has anybody seen this before or have any idea what it may be? Hopefully the error codes may shed some light to someone in the know. I've tried googling them, but not much came up.

Genuine thanks to anyone who has read this far, and much appreciation to anyone who replies.

I am by no means an expert on these things but my CLK350 had a very similar problem. Engine light came on, similar codes though I didn't have any MAF related codes. Other symptoms were an uneven tick over.
After a bit of investigation I found that the gasket found between the airbox and the intake to the MAF sensor was damaged. Replacing it did the trick. A word of caution though; the airbox is a very tight fit and it is essential that it is seated correctly onto it's mountings otherwise you will have the same problems.
I don't know if you've had the car serviced lately, is it possible that the airbox isn't secured correctly?

I am having a smilar error code problem (P16F400) on W221 S350CDI Bluetec 2012 74k miles, was previously stating DPF needed a regen. This as dne a couple of days ago.. My car also just stalled at Traffic lights - restarted fine - no limp mode or anything and accelrated fine no hesitation - only experenced once so far. I have a CARly universal Adapter and it only picked up the above fault. I appreciate your msg above was a couple of years ago. Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem. Any steer appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom