C350 Rear tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
What life are you getting out of the rears ?
Mine are Bridgstone Turanza, put them on as thought they might last longer than the 8k I got out of the previous Goodyears.

I am on 11k of mostly easy motorway miles at 60mph, average 49mpg for the last 14k and they are almost shot already..

Friend of mine has a 2021 330 BMW 3 series and gets 30k out of the rears..

Last edited:
Mine are Bridgstone Turanza, put them on as thought they might last longer than the 8k I got out of the previous Goodyears.

I am on 11k of mostly easy motorway miles at 60mph, average 49mpg for the last 14k and they are almost shot already..

Ok, not many with a 350 diesel I guess, how does the mileage compare to a petrol with similar torque such as a C63 of the same era driven with a light foot - if there are any out there ?

And on that note a full electric car with maximum torque at zero rpm ?

Not a 'C' but 350cdi E. I've just changed the rears (Michelin Primacy) at 36,000 miles, with 3mm remaining. 95% of mileage on European autoroutes.
Eta - front changed at same time (only due to age), with 4-5mm tread remaining. Same mileage.

I think you can be reasonably sure that the easy motorway miles are not the cause of wear and the fact fact that they are rears means it's unlikely to be braking either. that only leaves acceleration as the wear factor. With modest acceleration then 30K should be possible. For what it's worth, on a lower powered petrol, I'm up to 34K of mostly motorway miles with 5mm remaining on Michelin Energy savers.

I think you can be reasonably sure that the easy motorway miles are not the cause of wear and the fact fact that they are rears means it's unlikely to be braking either. that only leaves acceleration as the wear factor. With modest acceleration then 30K should be possible. For what it's worth, on a lower powered petrol, I'm up to 34K of mostly motorway miles with 5mm remaining on Michelin Energy savers.
In that case I must be getting 2000 miles to a set of tyres around town as that is probably all I have done..

I recently replaced my front discs for the first time, somewhere around 108k if I remember so your right, not heavy braking.
Just looked at black Circles, the only Michelin's are pilot sports for 255/35/18, around £190 - £220, don't think they will last 5 mins...

i once got 4k from a set of falkens , e320 straight 6 diesel with a tuning chip . 190 nail on the head, acceleration kills tyres. plenty of e350 cdi coupe owners on here , basically same car as c350 cdi just a bit more tech ... bridgestone potenza are a long lasting tyre , very hard compounds.

Might be worth checking the tracking - if they're scrubbing?

Ok, not many with a 350 diesel I guess, how does the mileage compare to a petrol with similar torque such as a C63 of the same era driven with a light foot - if there are any out there ?

And on that note a full electric car with maximum torque at zero rpm ?
The Michelin PS4S on my C63S have lasted 15k and counting, i'm pretty sympathetic with my right foot, but by no means a drive like 'Miss Daisy'. That mileage also includes 2 days of hard driving during a performance handling course (with skid pan etc). I'd say you have another problem there...

Maybe I wrongly assumed the Bridgestone Turanza would outlast the Potenza ?

They are a on the wear marks on the centre groove with about 0.5mm to 1mm left over the remainder, both tyres are almost identical in wear. Always run them 38, as the filler cap states, maybe that's too much...

I think the BMW 330 I mentioned in the first post is on Pilot Sports but they are run flats...

I would be happier with 15k obviously, I'll look into them..there is all sorts of PS options.

Maybe I wrongly assumed the Bridgestone Turanza would outlast the Potenza ?

They are a on the wear marks on the centre groove with about 0.5mm to 1mm left over the remainder, both tyres are almost identical in wear. Always run them 38, as the filler cap states, maybe that's too much...

I think the BMW 330 I mentioned in the first post is on Pilot Sports but they are run flats...

I would be happier with 15k obviously, I'll look into them..there is all sorts of PS options.
Well I got that wrong 😳, took the reading from October's mileage claim which was obviously for Septembers mileage - if I add in the almost 4k I did in October it become 15k!

Pressures are standard 38 front and rear.
Would dropping a couple of psi help with the rear wear in the middle and increasing help with the front wear on the outside?

Not now obviously but for the next set ?

Attachments

• 20220713_112821.jpg
    20220713_112821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220713_112809.jpg
    20220713_112809.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Well I got that wrong 😳, took the reading from October's mileage claim which was obviously for Septembers mileage - if I add in the almost 4k I did in October it become 15k!

Pressures are standard 38 front and rear.
Would dropping a couple of psi help with the rear wear in the middle and increasing help with the front wear on the outside?

Not now obviously but for the next set ?
Something amiss with the alignment ?

Hi , I read that wider rear tyres tend to wear out in the middle regardless of pressure ( within reason )

I have 255/30/19 on my car and had a similar wear pattern to yours.

Jeez i had a 330d BMW and i used to get 6k out of the rear tyres.

Depends entirely on they type of driving you do.

30k would be do-able if you spend a chunk of time on a motorway

Time for another set, this time I got 12K and they look exactly the same as the above :(

Time for another set, this time I got 12K and they look exactly the same as the above :(
Try a set of Michelin tyres. They are generally the best wear wise. Might seem more expensive but if they last longer are they really more expensive 🤷🏻‍♂️

38 psi from cold will rise to something like 42 when hot. I check mine from warm usually and stop on 240 kpa

£157 for the Bridgestones, £207 for the michelins so another 25%....

34psi when hot - so maybe 30psi cold ?
Might try dropping to 34 cold - see what happens - nothing to loose

£157 for the Bridgestones, £207 for the michelins so another 25%....

34psi when hot - so maybe 30psi cold ?
Might try dropping to 34 cold - see what happens - nothing to loose
If you get 25% + more longevity then are they even more expensive 🤔

Bridgestones i have had have never lasted that well imo

I got 25k on my rear UR5 with approx 4mm tread remaining when replaced last week due to wheel refurbishment. The wear was pretty much even with slightly more on the inside edge. I ran with 37 psi mainly to increase the distance of the rim from the road to provide more protection from potholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom