C350 SE coupe 2006 .. are they any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
I am thinking about buying one of these and wondered if I should?
Are they fun to drive?
Any real world experience would be appreciated.

Also, a reminder ... is there somewhere on the web you can put chassis number in and get a factory spec?

Many thanks!

Thank you very much!

Car has sold that I was looking at so decision made for me :)

Keep looking, one will turn up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks ... not end of the world. I never really liked the way they looked but if feedback was good I would have tried it for a while. Can't be all bad having a 350 in a small car?
I am looking for a bit of a cheap toy at the moment and this wasn't really what I was looking for. Fancy a convertible I think ..

Have you looked at a CLK?

I am definitely keeping eye out for one. Looked into a few ... it's finding one with nice history, nice spec without too much rust.
Keeping hopeful of a full history designo for a couple of grand ... I would actually like one, especially a convertible.

I am definitely keeping eye out for one. Looked into a few ... it's finding one with nice history, nice spec without too much rust.
Keeping hopeful of a full history designo for a couple of grand ... I would actually like one, especially a convertible.

Think you would need to look at a 2004 model onwards, as the rust proofing was improved from then on.

I have one!

Things I like:
1. It's pretty rare - have a look on howmanyleft.com! I like that there aren't many around, in fact I've never seen another one
2. It's extremely versatile - depending on how you're feeling and what you need to do it's either a sports car, an estate (with the back seats down), or a long distance cruiser
3. It's comfortable and luxurious, albeit a bit of a hard ride over our pot-holed roads. Depends what you're used to
4. It's aged pretty well on the inside, it doesn't really feel dated. With the COMAND/nav and the panoramoc sunroof it looks and feels pretty modern
5. It's fast and handles well - I think I'd struggle to use much more power on a daily basis. There's not much it struggles to keep up with
6. It's understated and most people ignore it - nice if, like me, you don't want attention
7. Servicing and running costs are very reasonable
8. The 3.5 V6 sounds great
9. No supercharger or turbo to go wrong, just a nice big n/a engine, which may soon go the way of the dodo!
10. A lot of car for the money, especially if you find one with plenty of extras (panoramic sunroof, COMAND/nav, heated seats, evo sports pack, leather)
11. Long shot but...future classic...?

Things I don't like:
1. Highest tax band - annoying!
2. It does look weird from some angles, the back especially - I can never decide if I like it or not. However, I think the slightly odd looks add to its rarity and the fact most people ignore it. I like to think of it as 'interesting'! I do think it looks good from the front
3. BALANCE SHAFT! Google it if you're not already aware of it - a weak point in the m272 engine. An expensive repair if your engine is within a certain range (all 2006 ones are) but once done, it's a permanent fix. This does mean that the cars can be cheap to buy though. I'm treating it as a (possible) second installment ;)
4. Visibility isn't great, the A pillars are thick, the rear side windows very small, and the rear visibility is poor. I got used to it after a while

I really like mine and am planning to keep it for a long time - I've had it about a year and a half so far.

Oh forgot to say, on your second question, I have a free app on my iphone called 'MB VIN decoder' where you can enter a VIN and get all the car specs.

Oh forgot to say, on your second question, I have a free app on my iphone called 'MB VIN decoder' where you can enter a VIN and get all the car specs.

Can you screen shot that app as I can't find it?

Can you screen shot that app as I can't find it?

I just checked, if you search the app store for 'vin decoder' it's the 4th one down called 'VIN decoder for Mercedes Benz' (blue icon). I don't know if it's any better or worse than the other free ones. It has all the right info for my own car, though.

I just checked, if you search the app store for 'vin decoder' it's the 4th one down called 'VIN decoder for Mercedes Benz' (blue icon). I don't know if it's any better or worse than the other free ones. It has all the right info for my own car, though.

Found it, thanks [emoji106]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom