C350 with 7G Gearbox whine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C350

Car
W203 C350
I have a 2006 W203 C350 with the 7sp Auto. Ive started to hear a lot of Gearbox / Transmission whine. Its worse when you lift of and goes when you apply power.

The car is under warranty so is this something I should take up with the dealer and can I have some pointers as to what it could be?

I want to be armed with knowledge to reply to the 'they all do that Sir'

My M5 used to do it but that had 150K on the clock and the C350 has just passed 64K.

7g doesn't whine. That's a new one. It's shocking you'd be palmed off like that, but not surprising

Are you sure it's the gearbox? have you checked the prop shaft?

Is it a high pitched sorta noise or a actual whine???

Shak

if its a high pitched whine... i've actually heard from merc V engines (V6 and V8) do it quite commonly, not sure if it was an issue as such, but definitely irritating

if its a high pitched whine... i've actually heard from merc V engines (V6 and V8) do it quite commonly, not sure if it was an issue as such, but definitely irritating

Yeh mine has a slight high pitched whine, not very loud which i thought was the gearbox but its coming from the engine as i can hear it when i rev it in neutral, been on the american mb forums and allot do it, apparently its one of the idler pulleys that makes the noise :-/

Shak

Are you certain that it's the gearbox that's whining? Mine has had a whine since I bought it, but Olly tells me it's the turbo that's whining and that 'some do, some don't'.

Are you certain that it's the gearbox that's whining? Mine has had a whine since I bought it, but Olly tells me it's the turbo that's whining and that 'some do, some don't'.

Mine a 3.5 V6 so no Turbo

Not taken it in yet, just wanted to be armed with some knowledge of what it could be before I do.

Its not very high pitched but if more of a whine sound. It doesnt sound far enough forward to be the engine. Its worse when Ive done a few miles and the car is well up to temp.

Diff or prop could be a possibility though because its worse when coming on and off the throttle and cant hear it if I rev when in neutral.

if its a low pitched drone then it might be what you're suggesting... I'd take it in anyway and get them to check the oil levels - u could take the technician out for a drive and let him hear it - always helps

Finally got round to taking it in this week, needed a couple of other bits doing and surprise surprise they couldnt hear anything.

Oil levels checked, nothing found. Im going to have to take it in when its doing it so I can take a technician out. Frustrating to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom