C350cdi hesitation when moving off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueGriff

Car
C350cdi sport estate
Had a drive in a 2010 C350 Diesel estate. It would do the job but thought it was a bit hesitant when puling away. May just be something you get used to but when driving in stop start traffic or pulling out at a junction there seemed to be a delay between applying the throttle and moving forward. Didn’t notice the same thing when already on the move so could perhaps be the gearbox waking up from idle. Is the effect a fault or normal with this car, anybody know ?

Welcome BlueGriff,

I'm afraid it's a trait with the V6 - this has been posted many times. Some say there's a software upgrade but mine's always done it despite having the latest software.

It's annoying.

Isn't it something to do with the gearbox shifting to neutral at rest (for economy reasons) and the delay is drive being re-engaged?

That would explain why the effect isn't there when already on the move.

I get the same, but quickly got used to it.

I tend to put the gearbox in HOLD mode, it makes moving off again pretty quick.

It's really not a problem to me any more.

I feel it more in E mode than in S mode - so maybe it's a gearbox setting?

E mode will move into second gear before moving off.

You'll get people complaining about the hesitation (and maybe there was more of one in the 2010 cars which got resolved).

Don't worry about it.

I'm clearly showing my ignorance here, but what is HOLD mode?

I'm not sure if this feature is on the E class or not, but when you're at a standstill, press the brake quite hard and you should see "HOLD" in the LCD screen. Take your foot off the brake and the car will hold in place. Placing your foot on the accelerator will result in you instantly moving forward.

Look in your handbook and see if it's mentioned.

I'm not sure if this feature is on the E class or not, but when you're at a standstill, press the brake quite hard and you should see "HOLD" in the LCD screen. Take your foot off the brake and the car will hold in place. Placing your foot on the accelerator will result in you instantly moving forward.

Look in your handbook and see if it's mentioned.

Yes it is a feature. You can also click the upshift paddle whilst holding on the footbrake when a gap is coming up, if the car has dropped into neutral. This puts it into gear ready for the off.:)

Two useful tips there - thanks.

My last car was manual, so when I wanted it to go immediately, I just dropped the clutch....

Yeah. Driving auto is a slightly different way of thinking.

I'm clearly showing my ignorance here, but what is HOLD mode?

According to my MB dealer the HOLD feature was only introduced on the C Class with the facelift this year. He might be wrong though...

Found this thread when looking for the answer "does the brake hold feature now appear on all the MB range ?"

I've got a 2009 (pre facelift) C250 and it does not have the brake hold feature. I had a 10 plate S350 loaner a while ago, and that did (of course). So I'm looking to see if all models in the range now have this feature.

What I think I've found is that any car with 7G-DCT will have the brake hold. Not sure if thats right or not, just what I think I've read (between the lines).

An extra push on the brake pedal, when stationary, will activate the hold function. Had this on an '11-reg facelift C350CDi that I recently tested.

I think this is only on facelift cars (the ones with the colour dash display).

My 2011 C220 has it and I use it constantly.

I also think the facelift got the newer 7g+ gearbox as opposed to the 7g which has addressed much of the hesitation and gearchange issues.

The answer is get a facelift car.

There is a software update for it which cures it for S, but if you want to stay in E mode and don't have the hold function then before you set off pull the paddle to upshift before you press the accelerator and it hardly hesitates at all.. don't have any problems on my E-Class

There's no real cure for it on the GL350 CDI/7G with any software updates so I use that method and left foot holding the brake too which reduces the impact of it.

I agree. I drive a C350cdi, just swapped from a C320cdi and the hesitation came as a bit of a shock. It's a lot better if you put it in S than E, but the C320, same engine, same 7 gears didn't have this problem at all...

why would that be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom