C350cdi - Maximum of 30MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dixonrg1

Car
c350cdi
Hello everyone,

Can drivers of C350cdi's please post their general average MPG's. Basically I'm sure I've got a problem with my C350cdi, but MB have done the diagnostics and suggest nothing is wrong with it. Even when drive "like a granny" I cannot get above 30mpg for any journey.

Thanks

When querying mpg you should first of all brim your tank, run it for 200-300 miles then refill the tank noting the exact quantity taken from the pump or till receipt.
Knowing the exact amount of fuel and the miles driven you can then work out your mpg in real terms and not as reported by the onboard system.

You may be surprised.

Just checked the Fuelly site and 8 C350s are being tracked, and they seem to be averaging around the 30MPG level too.

Just checked the Fuelly site and 8 C350s are being tracked, and they seem to be averaging around the 30MPG level too.

I've a C320cdi, very similar engine. Fuel consumption varies between 23mpg in heavy traffic to 42 on quiet motorways at 70mph. Overall about 34mpg.

The disparity between real world figures and the EU test figures is just ridiculous, especially bearing in mind the EU test is so short.

Is the link in your sig tied to the Fuelly website? The figure in your sig is a lot better than the one on the Fuelly site!

Having just achieved a personal best of 57.2mpg on my old bus, I am aghast at these figures.:eek:

Having just achieved a personal best of 57.2mpg on my old bus, I am aghast at these figures.:eek:

How accurate is your OBD reading?

Your concern is the same as mine, why spend a lot of money on a new car to achieve less mpg as well. I actually like my car, so why bother changing especially as the new models are a lot less reliable as well.

Hello everyone,

Can drivers of C350cdi's please post their general average MPG's. Basically I'm sure I've got a problem with my C350cdi, but MB have done the diagnostics and suggest nothing is wrong with it. Even when drive "like a granny" I cannot get above 30mpg for any journey.

Thanks

To answer your specific question :-

Did a 75 mile journey yesterday, started from cold and reset the display. About 40miles was motorway or dual carriageway, spent about 10 mins going slowly in rush hour traffic. Deliberately drove carefully, not slowly but avoided enthusiastic acceleration, the display reported 40.3 mpg. On the return journey I put the gearbox in manual, reset the display again and drove more enthusiastically, at the end it reported 37.6mpg.

I have had my 350 for about a month now and (according to the display) is shows 36mpg for just over 1000 miles I have to agree that the consumption is rather poor but not unexpected. Prior to buying I read many threads about MB cars in general not getting near the quoted figures, I factored it in to the cost calculation. The 530d BM I just replaced was considerably more frugal for similar performance.

It may be worth saying that the last 4 or 5 cars I have had have been Diesel and without exception the fuel consumption has improved as the car gets more miles on it.

I must agree with dixonrg1 - don't get me wrong I really enjoy the car but I am a little bit disappointed in the fuel economy and I don't think I'm driving it that hard.

I used to get about 25 mpg out of a 5.0 V10 Touareg (which weighs more than half again) so I'd expect 35/40 out of this really.

I must agree with dixonrg1 - don't get me wrong I really enjoy the car but I am a little bit disappointed in the fuel economy and I don't think I'm driving it that hard.

I used to get about 25 mpg out of a 5.0 V10 Touareg (which weighs more than half again) so I'd expect 35/40 out of this really.

Considering your car is fairly new, I'd expect mpg to improve once you have put a fair bit of miles on it.

Considering your car is fairly new, I'd expect mpg to improve once you have put a fair bit of miles on it.

Yeah the Audi A6 I had last improved slightly over time - probably about 5mpg better after approx 10k miles

Fingers crossed this one does the same - doesn't stop me enjoying it though :D

take it back to the dealer and challenge them to take it for a run and to get within 10% of their quoted EU figures. Hell - I can't get within 20% on my E350 - it's averaging 31 if drive like I'm a - that's 30% under the quoted combined number for my car. I believe MB are misleading their customers.

- I can't get within 20% on my E350 - it's averaging 31 if drive like I'm a - that's 30% under the quoted combined number for my car. I believe MB are misleading their customers.

You might be interested in this: Daimler's fuel efficiency data - a load of hot air | Care2 Share

HonestJohn has made comments in his Telegraph column that people have sued MB in the UK but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else, and have never seen reports of such cases.

Honda is in all sorts of trouble in the US at the moment having just lost a class action lawsuit on one of their Hyrids, but I think they're appealing.

Of course, worse MPG figures being quoted by manufacturers would mean higher road tax, and much higher benefit in kind tax for company car users, so there's a strong incentive to get the MPG figures as high as possible. The whole life costs for fleets would also look a lot worse.

Last edited:
take it back to the dealer and challenge them to take it for a run and to get within 10% of their quoted EU figures. Hell - I can't get within 20% on my E350 - it's averaging 31 if drive like I'm a - that's 30% under the quoted combined number for my car. I believe MB are misleading their customers.

The EU figures are meaningless. Cars are optimised for that specific test, so it bears little relationship to the real world with its huge variation in drivers, conditions, traffic and climates.

It is possible to achieve the EU figures, but not in a way that bears any relationship to real world driving.

I'm fairly happy that my car is fast, well built and reliable and does 34mpg. If I was that worried about economy, I'd have have C200:)

doesn't stop me enjoying it though :D

Which is probably the issue. Acceleration uses fuel and seems effortless in a 350cdi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom