C350CDI - remapped by eurocharged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ferg
Map from your ecu is extracted by obd2 or directly from the ecu dependent on whether the ATP (anti tampering protection) has been cracked or not. This is then loaded onto a laptop with tuning software that decodes the data into maps that affect the various running characteristics of the engine and throttle. With a basic remap on a diesel you can get away with light - medium increase of fuelling, boost, smoke and throttle sensitivity without live mapping. Live monitoting will be of benefit if you are going for the last 10-20% where you need to make sure you're not pushing egt too high etc.

Not strictly true, last 10 years or so Mercedes via ODB is normally id only, the company doing the file will have a file already based on your Car and ECU type Etc, this file is modified and uploaded to your car, you cannot extract a full read of a Mercedes ECU Via ODB, just the basic information ie type and vin, hence why you see persons on the net offering cheap remaps and full reads, and try to load a manual map on an Auto car as one example, 1) because they don't have a database of the correct tuning files, 2) don't know what they are doing but will take your money anyway. Anyone offering a full read on a Mercedes via ODB stay well clear

Last edited:
Not strictly true, last 10 years or so Mercedes via ODB is normally id only, the company doing the file will have a file already based on your Car and ECU type Etc, this file is modified and uploaded to your car, you cannot extract a full read of a Mercedes ECU Via ODB, just the basic information ie type and vin, hence why you see persons on the net offering cheap remaps and full reads, and try to load a manual map on an Auto car as one example, 1) because they don't have a database of the correct tuning files, 2) don't know what they are doing but will take your money anyway. Anyone offering a full read on a Mercedes via ODB stay well clear

Performance information for some models can be extracted via OBD but there are very few (some c220cdi for example)
As you say for a full read most cars require the ecu to be out.

Billy - most of my ecu experience has been with Bosch ME7 on VAG 1.8T engines ...
Thanks for the correction.

Time for an update
Drove 360 miles this weekend, 180miles on Saturday and Sunday, same journey but at different speeds.

Saturday - 98% motorway , 95 ish for 180 miles return journey. 38mpg
Sunday - Same as above, but 80-85 ish, windier. 42mpg.
Temp about 10c

Acceleration is still impressive.

I've looked at the dyno graphs again (previous page in this thread), after 3700rpm, the power and torque difference between the original and new map is minimal. So would I be right is saying that the top speed will be largely unaffected ? 1900rpm is about 80 ish. 3800rpm would be 160. So it'll take less time to get to 155, but unlikely to go a lot faster?

Lovely figures there glad you are pleased! To get high figures from the new engines the DPF is a clear limiting factor, and removal or high flow DPF is the only option.

To clear up a few things:
New Mercedes from 2012 running the 2.2CDi (E220 Cdi) engine and some Vito's (116) for example can be tuned solely by OBD. They are the newer Delphi CRD3.10 ecu's and successfully cracked by OBD. Older 2.2 running the older Delphi ECU's are by the BDM mode only which is approximately 2006-2012 era.

New Mercedes running the 3.0L plus engines plus others have TPROT (Tuning protection) on the OBD port, so have to be pulled, various pins placed on the board depending on the ecu model and how many boot pins/resistors plus reset pin depending on the tool is required.

Live mapping is impossible on any of the latest Bosch ECU's including EDC17/MED17/MED9. Only on the older ecu's running something like a 29F200/400/800 chip and only if you get the checksums right. Any company claiming live mapping on the latest cars is either talking bullocks, or they are doing the map/log/remove ecu and remap/log method. The effort of installing an emulator is huge on the older ECU's.

Hope that helps!

BFT, thanks for your input, very informative. Do you run your own tuning company? I like your car fleet, plenty of interesting toys.

In your experience, is there any more to be gained from a 350cdi engine without compromising longevity or reliability?

I do. Yes the fleet is certainly good fun!

As the chaps at Eurocharged would of said, without addressing the exhaust system really, you are on very nice figures there. Those numbers with a stock car is comfortable.

I had the dpf and cat removed from a 530d, as it was almost totally blocked, it was so bad it damaged the turbo. Spent lots of money on it, but it still needed more so I got shot of it. I would not go without the dpf or cat, as the car stank without it and the smoke was not good. The positives were that it would come on boost sooner and gain revs quicker. Also the mpg shot up to 45mpg at 80, but it was not pleasant to live with.

If I were to take this car further it would be a freer flow dpf and I would definitely retain the cat.

Another update
450 miles, 85 mph on the cruise. 41.7 mpg in display, used 55l which is 37mpg, about 10% less. Temp between 8-12 c. Running temp 90c on gauge. Using Shell VPower diesel. Looks like the obc mpg is wildly inaccurate :-(

October 2014 Update
1300 mile journey over 3 days.
CC around 85. At the speed limit in roadworks etc.
Overall 40.5mpg (brim to brim). Temp between 10-14c. Weather, mixed from dry to stormy, wind & rain. Mix of Shell Vpower and BP standard stuff.
OBC readout was 43mpg.

Performance and economy stronger after last service, by almost 10%. I reckon the air filters need to be changed yearly, but buy the part from EcP or similar instead of the £120 !!! from MB.

Good idea in principle, but I've had negative experiences of oiled air filters where MAF sensors are damaged by the oil in the past. Also I'm not convinced of their filtration efficacy, so I'll stick with the standard paper filter.

Agree completely. Change the paper ones more often.

Is there a good source for oem filters BFT ? Eurocarparts don't sell them. The MB dealer want to rob me blind ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom