C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the view of the panel regarding build quality of c350e saloon vs estate? I hear that the saloons are built in South Africa, and the estates in Germany, so there might be a difference?

Can't comment on the saloon. My estate has had no problems or even hints of poor build quality yet. Not sure where it was built, but I'd heard the same as you that estates were from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preparing for winter

This will be my first winter with a RWD car for many years, probably since a Triumph Stag about 37 years ago! For those of you who've driven a C350e in snow and ice - how was it?

What's the view of the panel regarding build quality of c350e saloon vs estate? I hear that the saloons are built in South Africa, and the estates in Germany, so there might be a difference?

All Hybrids are built in Germany.

This will be my first winter with a RWD car for many years, probably since a Triumph Stag about 37 years ago! For those of you who've driven a C350e in snow and ice - how was it?

It was great on winter tyres! :D

My car (2015) was also built in Germany.
What evidence is there that this is not the case today ?

Apart from the rubbish talking sales people that are making excuses for extended lead times do you mean? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My saloon was built in December 2016 and has this line in VIN decoder:
165PRODUCTION LOCATION VEHICLE SOUTH AFRICA

It was great on winter tyres! :D

Didn't have any flippin' winter to deal with last year.

Previous experience suggests that RWD and fat tyres are a lot of fun in snow. I did Nottingham to Swindon in 4+ inches of snow about 10 years ago in a BMW. At one service station, there was no-one. No staff, no customers and no cars in the car park. [emoji3]

Some of the people I went to meet didn't make it, despite having less than 5 miles to travel.

The tyres on my C350e aren't even all that fat, so I don't expect any issues. Look out for me cursing in February...

So my 3 pin charger died this evening. A phonecall to the garage beckons..

Apart from the rubbish talking sales people that are making excuses for extended lead times do you mean? [emoji6]

Saloons - South Africa
Estates - Germany
Hybrids (Both Estate and Saloon) - Germany

I'm sure the saloons from SA are fine but I'd naturally have more faith in one built in Germany.

The one bonus of all hybrids being built in Germany was that you could get the saloon is Brilliant Blue, the c350e was the only saloon to have this colour....may have changed, I think the blue colour has changed, it's a fantastic colour, when clean it's very eye catching.

So my 3 pin charger died this evening. A phonecall to the garage beckons..

Completely dead or dodgy power in cable?....mine was the latter, while waiting for the replacement i'd be faffing to get it in the right position so I could charge!

I saw a snippet in a trade magazine today which says that MB could launch a plug-in diesel hybrid next year as part of a facelifted C-Class range. Likely to use the new 2.0 diesel from the E-Class and the 50% larger battery from the S-Class plug-in to give a 30 mile range.

Could be a load of journalistic bobbins, but why don't they use that battery pack with the petrol engine?

I saw a snippet in a trade magazine today which says that MB could launch a plug-in diesel hybrid next year as part of a facelifted C-Class range. Likely to use the new 2.0 diesel from the E-Class and the 50% larger battery from the S-Class plug-in to give a 30 mile range.

Could be a load of journalistic bobbins, but why don't they use that battery pack with the petrol engine?
Must be a reason for it... I'm going for cost as opposed to any engineering reason. Also if it had a 30 mile range PLUS the frugality of a diesel engine, fuel companies would get a twitch on as it would open the gates to all manufacturers getting onboard. Call me cynical [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Completely dead or dodgy power in cable?....mine was the latter, while waiting for the replacement i'd be faffing to get it in the right position so I could charge!

It doesn't light up when plug is turned on before even plugging in the car..

Last edited:
Must be a reason for it... I'm going for cost as opposed to any engineering reason. Also if it had a 30 mile range PLUS the frugality of a diesel engine, fuel companies would get a twitch on as it would open the gates to all manufacturers getting onboard. Call me cynical [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I wonder if it means the premium plus estate will meet the 50g/km cut-off for the £2500 government grant? They might upgrade the C350e battery as well, next time there's a model refresh.

I wonder what they're going to call the diesel PHEV?

Is it just Tapatalk that regards this as page 350? ;-)

It is a bit irritating when they keep reintroducing old bugs isn't it. The new features in the app (that I have discovered so far) are fine, but I'd be happier if the basics were better, like true mpg for example. Still bugs me that the car itself tops out at 99.9mpg, that's just lazy programming when you consider the official mpg for the car is well in excess of 100mpg. On the whole, I do get the impression that the hybrid elements were not well thought out software wise.

99.9 mpg !
When did the change occur because I captured this on my car a few weeks ago ?

PnQoOkF.jpg

It doesn't light up when plug is turned on before even plugging in the car..
Hope you don't have to wait 2 months for a new one like I did ...

As an aside, mine wasn't totally dead, when you plugged it in the lights flashed regularly in what looked to me like a fault code pattern, but charging was there none.

Anyway, got 83mpg this morning on my 35 mile (20 on motorway, the rest on B roads) journey, which is pretty amazing I reckon. 50mpg on the way back (no charging at work), so 66 overall for a 70 mile commute makes me smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom