C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My boot doesn’t open freely because it is fouled on the near side hinge by the internal trim.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so was it corrected successfully?

My boot doesn’t open freely because it is fouled on the near side hinge by the internal trim.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so was it corrected successfully?
Can't you rectify it yourself? Pop the offending trim back into place maybe and I don't mean that sarcastically [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It was great on winter tyres! :D

Yes, I'm planning on getting some winter tyres - any recommendations for make?
I'm also wondering whether to get the larger wheels at the same time so I can fit a tow bar ... I presume that wouldn't affect the insurance but what about the BIK? (then again, how would they know?)

New C350e Estate

I took delivery of a new C350 estate just over a week ago. Still very much learning as this is my first MB and learning their ways of doing thing. My previous 2 cars were Insignia Estates Tech Line. The main driver to get the car was the BIK and most my private mileage is local so mostly on electric. I do however do long motorway drives for work so we shall see how the mpg holds up. A few comments and questions below that someone may be able to help with. By the way I have got the basic Sport version with only one extra being blind spot/lane assist
Thanks
I get frustrated with the various levels and clicks to get to some basic actions such as changing radio stations or selecting different albums from the usb. I am still learning and I am aware of a favourites button but still haven’t worked out the easiest way to access these functions. I have dabbled with the voice commands but these seem to only work with the navigation. Any advice welcome.

When the satnav gives a voice instruction the radio or whatever fades down to a level that it cannot be heard clearly. In my previous insignia both the volume of the navigation instruction and background music could be adjusted but in the MB I can only adjust the former. Have I missed something?

Also, I previously test drove a Mondeo and was impressed with the speed limit display and how it recognised the signs – not just relying on map data for speed limits. So even temporary speed limits for road works for example it could detect. My manual seems to suggest similar functionality but in practice it appears not to recognise signs just go from map data. Is this a feature only in the higher models or do I need to turn it on somewhere?

The multifunctional display in the instrument cluster can display a wealth of information it’s a shame that it cannot be customised by the user e.g. to show radio station/ track, odometer and current mpg on the same screen

Finally, I claim my business travel on a per mile basis. My previous lease provider used Profleet where the odometer reading and location was captured on every journey and the mileage for each journey recorded that I could then use as a basis for my expense claim. So once a month I would log in to the website and select the business trips to get my mileage. I have the My Mercedes App working for the various services but there appears to be no way of getting mileage reports. Any suggestions that doesn’t rely on my remembering to log each journey at the time or use google maps for each?

Sorry about the rambling post, overall, I like the car and am pleased with it especially the comfort and even on the motorway using the ICE it seems to give a good mpg

Can't you rectify it yourself? Pop the offending trim back into place maybe and I don't mean that sarcastically [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

First thing I tried but alas to no avail. It reguires resetting and that is beyond me because the panel extends beyond the rear seats.

Yes, I'm planning on getting some winter tyres - any recommendations for make?
I'm also wondering whether to get the larger wheels at the same time so I can fit a tow bar ... I presume that wouldn't affect the insurance but what about the BIK? (then again, how would they know?)

Continental TS-860s did very well in the reviews last year so I went for those. Give it a couple of months and the new reviews will be out.

It's customary for winter wheels to reduce in size, so you could get the car delivered on 17s and use those for your winter wheels and get some 18s for summer.

It's up to you how honest you are declaring your P60 value. It's easier to hide an aftermarket accessory, but not a factory fitted one.

I get frustrated with the various levels and clicks to get to some basic actions such as changing radio stations or selecting different albums from the usb. I am still learning and I am aware of a favourites button but still haven’t worked out the easiest way to access these functions. I have dabbled with the voice commands but these seem to only work with the navigation. Any advice welcome.

The Audio 20 system is frustrating and not a joy to use unfortunately, it will just take time, the voice commands are limited, on my old Civic you could control everything including climate control and that had a list price of around 55% of the Merc so not acceptable in my book!

When the satnav gives a voice instruction the radio or whatever fades down to a level that it cannot be heard clearly. In my previous insignia both the volume of the navigation instruction and background music could be adjusted but in the MB I can only adjust the former. Have I missed something?

Easiest way I find is to adjust the sat nav volume up and down using the volume dial when it's giving an announcement. Again, citing my old Civic's integrated sat nav, it would mute the music on the front speakers when doing announcements (while still playing the rear, was an excellent solution).

Also, I previously test drove a Mondeo and was impressed with the speed limit display and how it recognised the signs – not just relying on map data for speed limits. So even temporary speed limits for road works for example it could detect. My manual seems to suggest similar functionality but in practice it appears not to recognise signs just go from map data. Is this a feature only in the higher models or do I need to turn it on somewhere?

This is a feature of one of the driver assist packs I believe.

The multifunctional display in the instrument cluster can display a wealth of information it’s a shame that it cannot be customised by the user e.g. to show radio station/ track, odometer and current mpg on the same screen

Finally, I claim my business travel on a per mile basis. My previous lease provider used Profleet where the odometer reading and location was captured on every journey and the mileage for each journey recorded that I could then use as a basis for my expense claim. So once a month I would log in to the website and select the business trips to get my mileage. I have the My Mercedes App working for the various services but there appears to be no way of getting mileage reports. Any suggestions that doesn’t rely on my remembering to log each journey at the time or use google maps for each?

Nope there is no way to do this in Mercedes Me, you could set google on your phone to remember your history but not exactly accurate, it does now "snap to road" which usually works well.

Continental TS-860s did very well in the reviews last year so I went for those. Give it a couple of months and the new reviews will be out.

It's customary for winter wheels to reduce in size, so you could get the car delivered on 17s and use those for your winter wheels and get some 18s for summer.

It's up to you how honest you are declaring your P60 value. It's easier to hide an aftermarket accessory, but not a factory fitted one.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency across the various tyre reviews so a personal recommendation is probably as good as anything else. FWIW I used Alpin A4s on my Saab Aero and they seemed OK.

Good point about wheel size (I've had the car since March) so it probably makes sense to get the Winter tyres on the 17s and then think about 18s next Spring ... needs some sums on rolling circumference to avoid messing-up the speedo.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency across the various tyre reviews so a personal recommendation is probably as good as anything else. FWIW I used Alpin A4s on my Saab Aero and they seemed OK.

Good point about wheel size (I've had the car since March) so it probably makes sense to get the Winter tyres on the 17s and then think about 18s next Spring ... needs some sums on rolling circumference to avoid messing-up the speedo.

Alpins are good tyres. Can't go far wrong with Michelins usually.

Following discussions with MB Technical Department I use 7 x 17" wheels and 225/50/17 98XL all round. I use the staggered 18" wheels in the summer.
If you already have the 17" wheels you may find they are staggered too (wider rear than front) so it might be best to stick with the tyre sizes which are currently on, but in a winter pattern.

I am still learning and I am aware of a favourites button but still haven’t worked out the easiest way to access these functions.

A kind person on here talked me through the favourites and now I can't remember how to do it! On the back of the doodle pad thing are three buttons. Star takes you to favourites and you can have sat nav destinations in there. The Oblong button will give you radio presets. I only listen to three radio stations so I just have those three in there and I can just move between them. If you can fathom out how to get what you want into these buttons you've cracked it!

1247028d1401531828t-report-amg-factory-visit-2014-mercedes-c-class-w205-img_1847.jpg

So now I know.
My generally achieved range of 12 miles, I thought originally it would be nearer 18, is in line with what others are getting.

2_DB8_C44_A-023_A-4_F70-_BB90-3_F3_B657_E7_DFE.jpg

Hope you don't have to wait 2 months for a new one like I did ...

As an aside, mine wasn't totally dead, when you plugged it in the lights flashed regularly in what looked to me like a fault code pattern, but charging was there none.

So an update for my dead charger. On Friday I figured I'd give it one more go in a variety of plugs, still no lights.

When pulling the plug out I noticed the fuse window and thought "I wonder"...

Turns out the 13A fuse had blown. A replacement from a soon to be thrown hairdrier has it fully working again. I guess it has some fair power going through it, but slightly worried its blown a fuse...

So an update for my dead charger. On Friday I figured I'd give it one more go in a variety of plugs, still no lights.

When pulling the plug out I noticed the fuse window and thought "I wonder"...

Turns out the 13A fuse had blown. A replacement from a soon to be thrown hairdrier has it fully working again. I guess it has some fair power going through it, but slightly worried its blown a fuse...

Good to hear your charging capability is back.

Strange that the fuse went. The charger knows it can only draw 13A, so how come the fuse has blown? Could the fuse be faulty (after handling a lot of current)? If not, is the charger faulty and trying to draw too much current? Hopefully just one of those mysterious things that never happen again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fuse can fail for a number of reasons, in this case, heat is probably a contributing factor as although a 13A plug is rated at, well, 13A, there tends to be a bit of variability in quality and the plug/socket will get warm at that power level. This will happen at connections typically, so wherever you have a junction you have a chance for a poor contact, leading to a hot spot. There are going to be at least four connections in close proximity to the fuse given a typical plug design.

Unless you need the car to charge as quickly as posssible, I'd suggest selecting one of the lower charging rates. I only charge ours at 1.9kW (8A) from the Rolec which is rated at 7.2kW.

Unless you need the car to charge as quickly as posssible, I'd suggest selecting one of the lower charging rates.

Agreed. The plug on my brick charger got very hot at the full setting and it was pointless as I was charging overnight. Press the big round button on the brick to go to the lower setting. You will get two green LEDs instead of four lighting up.

Agreed. The plug on my brick charger got very hot at the full setting and it was pointless as I was charging overnight. Press the big round button on the brick to go to the lower setting. You will get two green LEDs instead of four lighting up.

Isn’t the default setting the lower setting?
Mine requires that I press the button in order to display four lights, the higher charge setting.

Isn’t the default setting the lower setting?
Mine requires that I press the button in order to display four lights, the higher charge setting.

Yes, you are quite right if you are switching it on. I was meaning if the charger is already on full you need to press to get to half. It just cycles through.

Two months.

Hi,
Two months of ownership and the good and the bad.
Good
Not yet run in but sport+ is powerful. Well if you've come from a Golf GTD.
There's a bit of a challenge trying to be economical.
The hepatic foot pedal is err nice.
The gearbox almost shifts seamlessly.
Fake leather as standard.
Brilliant blue with the night pack looks darker and meaner.
I have Gtechniq detailing by DDB https://www.facebook.com/DDBDetailing/
LED headlights as standard.
Electric seats as standard.
Cheaper than a Golf GTD to lease.

Bad.
You need Bill Gates to figure out the computer.
Stephen Hawking to work out the modes.
If the electric seats move the back rest and seat height why not fore and aft.
Has anyone seen the car raise its self with fandabbydosy suspension.
Why doesn't the car just hold rather than the double press of the brake.
Almost seamless gear changes.
Does any one use the gear changing paddles?
No headlight washers.
Mercedes should be in security as getting through the Mercedes me initiation would foil the most determined of terrorists.
I haven't washed it yet!
Does any one know Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking.

Just a few observations. Great car even with the minor traits.
Thanks

Last edited:
A fuse can fail for a number of reasons, in this case, heat is probably a contributing factor as although a 13A plug is rated at, well, 13A, there tends to be a bit of variability in quality and the plug/socket will get warm at that power level. This will happen at connections typically, so wherever you have a junction you have a chance for a poor contact, leading to a hot spot. There are going to be at least four connections in close proximity to the fuse given a typical plug design.

Unless you need the car to charge as quickly as posssible, I'd suggest selecting one of the lower charging rates. I only charge ours at 1.9kW (8A) from the Rolec which is rated at 7.2kW.

Just re-read this....strewth, I sound like a prat.

Please wrap it in a coat of 'friendly conversational chat with some hopefully helpful advice & a polite suggestion'.

My excuse is I was half asleep when I posted, but the reality is I am probably just a prat.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom