C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would imagine there is a plunger type switch somewhere. Try and find that and push it in and out a few times, then drop the bonnet from about 12-18" up.
Thanks for the replies. So I pressed the Mercedes connect button and an advisor explained she would send a technician to my work place. Monday morning, rush hour and within five minutes an RAC technician explained he had been to a couple of other Mercedes C classes with the same problem. The catches holding the bonnet in place on the right and left and if the catch doesn’t err catch then the sensor goes off. A simple five second adjustment of the catch on the bonnet lid with a spanner and all is well. I thought the worse and about the complexity of modern cars with sensors everywhere, courtesy cars and the inconvenience.
I can’t fault Mercedes or the RAC today. Thanks once again for the replies.

I'm sure something is wrong with yours Chris. Other than an occasional rough idle, my ICE is pretty subdued. It makes a reasonably meaty sounding drone when pressing on, at other times it's just there in the background. It's certainly not an Alfa twincam, but I wouldn't describe it as a god-awful racket. Have you got any oil in it? :p

It's the cold start and loaded idle (when in charge mode) that I find offensive. When driving along, at least with the windows closed, its barely audible, and when it is, it's not offensive as such, just not nice sounding. I did actually take it in to be looked at shortly after getting it as I couldn't believe how nasty it sounded at times. They said they applied a patch that was supposed to reduce waste gate chatter under certain idle conditions and maybe it was a bit improved, but I came to the conclusion it's just the inevitable consequence of an engine that is built to be as light as possible and as frugal as possible. It's always on the verge of detonation and the castings are thin. There is no sound proofing under the bonnet either, which doesn't help. At times it sounds like there is a loose heat shield clattering or something. Normally, I'd be in there trying to find it, but as it's still relatively new, I'm reluctant to go digging. For now, I'll take them at their word that they looked but didn't find anything untoward. Maybe one when I'm at loose end I'll get under there and have a poke about. So far, other than taking the wheels off to clean the backs of the rims and the arches properly I've not taken a spanner to it, nor should I have to really.

The old Zetec engine in the Westfield sounds fantastic in comparison - it's almost silent at idle. It just amazes me that they have made a petrol engine that sounds as bad or worse than some diesels.

It's the cold start and loaded idle (when in charge mode) that I find offensive. When driving along, at least with the windows closed, its barely audible, and when it is, it's not offensive as such, just not nice sounding. I did actually take it in to be looked at shortly after getting it as I couldn't believe how nasty it sounded at times. They said they applied a patch that was supposed to reduce waste gate chatter under certain idle conditions and maybe it was a bit improved, but I came to the conclusion it's just the inevitable consequence of an engine that is built to be as light as possible and as frugal as possible. It's always on the verge of detonation and the castings are thin. There is no sound proofing under the bonnet either, which doesn't help. At times it sounds like there is a loose heat shield clattering or something. Normally, I'd be in there trying to find it, but as it's still relatively new, I'm reluctant to go digging. For now, I'll take them at their word that they looked but didn't find anything untoward. Maybe one when I'm at loose end I'll get under there and have a poke about. So far, other than taking the wheels off to clean the backs of the rims and the arches properly I've not taken a spanner to it, nor should I have to really.

The old Zetec engine in the Westfield sounds fantastic in comparison - it's almost silent at idle. It just amazes me that they have made a petrol engine that sounds as bad or worse than some diesels.

I’m really struggling with this. If you idle in charge mode, it’s adjusting the fuel mix to feed the battery. Weird that it doesn’t seem to increase the revs, but presumably that would sound even worse.

And you just described a 211bhp 2 litre petrol that struggles to beat 30mpg as “frugal”. I’d like to see your definition of sporty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, cold idle can be a bit grim I agree. But from the inside it's pretty well sound proofed I think. I had a Westfield too. Old school compared to a Zetec though. 1700 Crossflow on twin 40s. That sounded good. :cool:

I’m really struggling with this. If you idle in charge mode, it’s adjusting the fuel mix to feed the battery. Weird that it doesn’t seem to increase the revs, but presumably that would sound even worse.

And you just described a 211bhp 2 litre petrol that struggles to beat 30mpg as “frugal”. I’d like to see your definition of sporty!

I'm only speaking from an example of one - my car, so maybe mine is a bad one. Cold start and idle sounds dreadful, the first time I had it in charge mode and stopped at lights, I wondered where the hell the racket was coming from....then realised it was my shiny new MB.

I did say "as frugal as possible" ;) The performance figures it achieves are commendable and no denying it is a clever thing, I just wish it sounded a bit nicer doing it. TBH, if it had a noisier exhaust system with a bit of rasp or boom that would probably hide quite a lot of the problem. As it is, it's really quiet (which is what you want in a car like this) so it gets no help there.

I freely admit I tend to get a bee in my bonnet about certain mechanical noises that really shouldn't be happening. Rattly tappets drive me to distraction and the clatter from the M274 engine in ours simply doesn't fit with the rest of the car IMO. The almost silence of electric drive is pretty much shattered when the ICE joins in.

(THREAD DRIFT ALERT)
@CC. I first built the Westy with a Xflow, probably to the same recipe as yours I imagine - 1690 overbore, big valve head, lumpy cam, 11:1 CR and twin 40s. Towards the end of having that engine in it, I fitted some GSXR600 ITBs and fuel injected it - went a lot better. I finally gave up on the Xflow around 2005 and put in a stock 2l Zetec. With the same GSXR600 ITBs and a 4-1 manifold, it makes a gnats under 170bhp.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it’s worth charging your 350e into any charge stations away from home? And if so, are there any preferred suppliers, or do they all charge a similar tariff and it’s more about which ones youre most likely to use in your particular area? And finally, do most have them need membership (ecoctticity, polar, CYC, etc) and if so how are you billed? All appears different and very confusing. Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it’s worth charging your 350e into any charge stations away from home? And if so, are there any preferred suppliers, or do they all charge a similar tariff and it’s more about which ones youre most likely to use in your particular area? And finally, do most have them need membership (ecoctticity, polar, CYC, etc) and if so how are you billed? All appears different and very confusing. Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

I had one free Ecotricity charge before they introduced payment and to be honest, it was a bit of a faff. I had to go out of my way to find a charger and take my time over lunch. The result was about 5 miles of electric driving.

I’d recommend that if you’re staying in a hotel or at a campsite, you check out the options. Many campsites have 3-pin sockets and some hotels do as well. If a hotel is part of a national chain, there’s a chance it will have a charger that’s part of a network and will need an app or a card. I know some of them support pay as you go, but you’ll need someone else’s advice - I don’t know much about them.

I hear the Nottingham and Derby area is introducing a scheme supported by a national charging network that includes PAYG at a discounted rate for locals. Someone said recently on this thread that there’s a Milton Keynes scheme as well.

Some discussion on the previous page (191). Might be worth a read.

I think I'm in the perfect position to take advantage of away from home charging.

I live in Warrington and spend a lot of my working life in Manchester which means I am just about in the right range to get to Manchester on electricity only. Nearly all of the charging infrastructure in Greater Manchester is free (via GMEV/Chargeyourcar joint venture) and so far even though I have accounts with Polar, Franklin and Pod Point, I've never had to pay for a charge, apart from at home of course.

I've had the car (c350E sport estate) since September and I've covered 5200 miles. My average consumption is showing as 76Mpg and would be higher if I had not had to do a couple of trips to the South coast during that time. I make sure to use the sat nav on pretty much every journey to make sure that I maximise the hybrid system.

I'm only speaking from an example of one - my car, so maybe mine is a bad one. Cold start and idle sounds dreadful, the first time I had it in charge mode and stopped at lights, I wondered where the hell the racket was coming from....then realised it was my shiny new MB.

I did say "as frugal as possible" ;) The performance figures it achieves are commendable and no denying it is a clever thing, I just wish it sounded a bit nicer doing it. TBH, if it had a noisier exhaust system with a bit of rasp or boom that would probably hide quite a lot of the problem. As it is, it's really quiet (which is what you want in a car like this) so it gets no help there.

I freely admit I tend to get a bee in my bonnet about certain mechanical noises that really shouldn't be happening. Rattly tappets drive me to distraction and the clatter from the M274 engine in ours simply doesn't fit with the rest of the car IMO. The almost silence of electric drive is pretty much shattered when the ICE joins in.

(THREAD DRIFT ALERT)
@CC. I first built the Westy with a Xflow, probably to the same recipe as yours I imagine - 1690 overbore, big valve head, lumpy cam, 11:1 CR and twin 40s. Towards the end of having that engine in it, I fitted some GSXR600 ITBs and fuel injected it - went a lot better. I finally gave up on the Xflow around 2005 and put in a stock 2l Zetec. With the same GSXR600 ITBs and a 4-1 manifold, it makes a gnats under 170bhp.

Your description of engine noise is one that would cause me to have it investigated.
From day one that I have had my car, over two years now, engine noise has never caused me any concern. On cold mornings I am often surprised, so quiet, and pleased to discover, that the ICE is automatically started rather than having to drain the battery to de-ice and eventually move the car.

Last edited:
Your description of engine noise is one that would cause me to have it investigated.
From day one that I have had my car, over two years now, engine noise has never caused me any concern. On cold mornings I am often surprised, so quiet, and pleased to discover, that the ICE is automatically started rather than having to drain the battery to de-ice and eventually move the car.

I did take it back, not long after getting it. I’ve concluded it’s fine, just that I don’t care for the noise, having been running nice sounding engines for quite some time now.

Normal driving with the windows closed, no complaint really, often no clue if it’s on ICE or E power other than the Rev counter. Just cold start with open windows or worse, standing next to it - just doesn’t sound ‘premium’.

Agreed, cold start when you are stood next to it doesn't sound great, but I tend to drive my car from the comfort of the interior as it's safer and warmer so I don't hear it. :D

Meanwhile...Chris-S on his way this morning:
Mauricio+Sainz+and+Sebastian+Llamosas.jpg

Agreed, cold start when you are stood next to it doesn't sound great, but I tend to drive my car from the comfort of the interior as it's safer and warmer so I don't hear it. :D

Meanwhile...Chris-S on his way this morning:
Mauricio+Sainz+and+Sebastian+Llamosas.jpg

I object in the strongest terms to that depiction.....no way would I have the sense to wear Nomex and a crash hat. :)

Anyone else having trouble with app-activated pre-entry climate control at the moment? Not working for me the last few times I tried. Also tried the web portal with the same result. Works fine locally, but that somewhat defeats the object.

I think it's only worked twice for me earlier this week then nothing since. I'm not particularly impressed with the iPhone MercedesMe app. I get more success using the web app.

Anyone else having trouble with app-activated pre-entry climate control at the moment? Not working for me the last few times I tried. Also tried the web portal with the same result. Works fine locally, but that somewhat defeats the object.

Mostly works but sometimes fails but I suppose that depends on internet access of the car, out of signal range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife’s had the car this week and she’s actually been using the pre-con. [emoji50]

No support calls so far although that might mean she’s not noticed it hasn’t charged...

Thanks chaps. Generally, I've found the app to be pretty reliable up until recently. Nothing I am aware of has changed, the app accurately reports the vehicle location when parked at home, so it seems to have adequate internet access for that at least. I'll keep trying I suppose. Not much point logging a call I suspect.

Mmmm, it’s working fine this morning. I’ll blame the back end services for this as nothing has changed with the car, location or phone.

I use the web app from an iPhone and 99% of the time it works ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom