C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a quick question and not sure if it's the right place but my old 05 c320 is on its way out and I'm looking to upgrade to the 350e.
When I spoke to a guy at my local garage he seems to be recommending to wait for the new version as they have discontinued the 350e.
I had a brief read and am I right in assuming it's a jump in generation of hybrid tech and does it affect any warranty / parts availability with the 350e ?
It is the next generation hybrid system - greater range. They now offer a diesel plug-in as well. The warranty on the previous model was 6 years or 62k - I assume the updated will be the same

Well that's the thing!
My car would need about £ 500-700 to keep ticking over and with the ulez ,this is a good choice.
My other concern is the warranty and if it's better for owners to buy directly from merc used approved or a garage /private sale.
I'm surprised at how little my local dealer knows about the car. The sales guy wasn't really interested saying that they don't get many in and it's not a popular choice!

Final question. I'm tempted with a premium plus and panoramic roof... Purely just for the light and a bit more luxury inside, the normal screen seems small and dated compared to my mates BMW... Anyone have it and any issues with it?

That's the issue I had in my previous albeit shoddily made clio which would leak like a bucket from its sunroof when it rained.
A bit of rattling isn't too bad as long as the seals are... Well made and seal!
Going to have a look at one tomorrow but might stick to dealer just in case as a few people seem to have mentioned issues with battery charging .
Really confused with the options but I'll leave it to the sales guys rather then take this thread off topic!

That's the issue I had in my previous albeit shoddily made clio which would leak like a bucket from its sunroof when it rained.
A bit of rattling isn't too bad as long as the seals are... Well made and seal!
Going to have a look at one tomorrow but might stick to dealer just in case as a few people seem to have mentioned issues with battery charging .
Really confused with the options but I'll leave it to the sales guys rather then take this thread off topic!
I had an annoying noise from my sunroof, always seemed it's worst when the weather was mild after a little sunshine. Could have sworn it was the doors slightly loose against their seals, then realised it stopped after the sunroof was opened just a centimetre. After numerous complaints to Mercedes and liberal application of their 'special' lubricant, it's as quite as a mouse. Changed the car completely from feeling loose and ratelly? to solid and well screwed together. That was after taking the mechanic for a drive to highlight the problem. Interestingly he said they get quite a few issue with rattles and creaks from the iPad style screen on the C class and proceeded to demonstrate by manipulating mine back and forth! Fortunately mine remains silent as a lamb, touch wood.

Well that's the thing!
My car would need about £ 500-700 to keep ticking over and with the ulez ,this is a good choice.
My other concern is the warranty and if it's better for owners to buy directly from merc used approved or a garage /private sale.
I'm surprised at how little my local dealer knows about the car. The sales guy wasn't really interested saying that they don't get many in and it's not a popular choice!

Final question. I'm tempted with a premium plus and panoramic roof... Purely just for the light and a bit more luxury inside, the normal screen seems small and dated compared to my mates BMW... Anyone have it and any issues with it?

I would recommend PP - the panoramic roof really is lovely. Far nicer than the gloomy BMW 330e that I was also looking at, that felt like a prison inside. Personally, I wouldn't run the C350e without the MB used warranty. I bought mine from MB dealer. That's just me, I prefer peace of mind of an approved used car. The COMAND system is not as good as BMW's iDrive.

As much as I love my C350e, I got invited by Tesla last week to turn my 3 year old reservation on the Model 3 into an actual order. So I went ahead and configured the car and placed the order via my mobile phone. I've never bought a new car in my life, so I'm still a bit gobsmacked at the thought of handing over 56 grand but having driven the Model 3 for a week in the USA recently, I'm excited about transitioning to the world of Tesla EVs. In many respects, the ownership experience is light years ahead of cars made by traditional car companies. Sad to be leaving this club behind. I wish I could keep both cars :)

As much as I love my C350e, I got invited by Tesla last week to turn my 3 year old reservation on the Model 3 into an actual order. So I went ahead and configured the car and placed the order via my mobile phone. I've never bought a new car in my life, so I'm still a bit gobsmacked at the thought of handing over 56 grand but having driven the Model 3 for a week in the USA recently, I'm excited about transitioning to the world of Tesla EVs. In many respects, the ownership experience is light years ahead of cars made by traditional car companies. Sad to be leaving this club behind. I wish I could keep both cars :)
Car envy! You will be one of the first to get. What's the delivery date and ooh, £56k for the Performance version? Might be following in your footsteps next April!

I know they've been out a while but a guy in a Jag I-Pace pulled up whilst I was plugging in at a charge point. Have to say it looked a lot better in the flesh than it does in the pictures I've seen. Gave me car envy... He said he absolutely loved it, was giving him 220 miles range comfortably at the moment.

Has anyone "tested" the automatic braking feature?
I've been using Eco mode a lot recently and really like the way the car decelerates if the car in front slows down, but if regenerative braking isn't going to be enough to keep a safe distance the car gives a couple of beeps (squeaks of alarm?) to hint that a press on the foot brake is needed. I haven't been sufficiently brave to see if the car would protect me from my stupidity if I didn't brake but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been "saved" by the auto-braking feature ...

I've been using Eco mode a lot recently and really like the way the car decelerates if the car in front slows down, but if regenerative braking isn't going to be enough to keep a safe distance the car gives a couple of beeps (squeaks of alarm?) to hint that a press on the foot brake is needed. I haven't been sufficiently brave to see if the car would protect me from my stupidity if I didn't brake but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been "saved" by the auto-braking feature ...
Twice, accidentally! It beeps, tightens the seatbelts and then throws out the anchors. I’ve also had a couple of incidents where it’s panicked unnecessarily though. I suspect that if you are doing much over 40 that it wouldn’t stop in time but I’d rather not test it. I think the point is to make the impact less severe rather than to stop in time.

Twice, both times when the car in front was turning left off the main road into a side road. I think the system assumes that scenario is an emergency stop by the car in front. I had the same experience as Nick.

Car envy! You will be one of the first to get. What's the delivery date and ooh, £56k for the Performance version? Might be following in your footsteps next April!

@Goldngin £56k was the price for the Dual Motor with full self driving, and white interior and red paint. I changed my mind and edited the order to get Dual Motor Performance. It's now showing as £65,600. June is all it says on the app.

I got quotes online from those car buying sites for my C350e.

WTF? I thought MBs and MB Hybrids would depreciate slowly. It's not even been 12 months since I bought mine from a MB dealer for £24k and I'm getting quotes of around £16k. It's now on 39k, is 3.5 years old, full MB SH, is in excellent condition and has the driving assistance pack and the 360 camera.

It's lost a third of its value in under 12 months, and it wasn't even a brand new car to begin with. Has the used car market for our cars just fallen to pieces then?

@Goldngin £56k was the price for the Dual Motor with full self driving, and white interior and red paint. I changed my mind and edited the order to get Dual Motor Performance. It's now showing as £65,600. June is all it says on the app.
That's the top spec, exactly what I would like!!

I got quotes online from those car buying sites for my C350e.

WTF? I thought MBs and MB Hybrids would depreciate slowly. It's not even been 12 months since I bought mine from a MB dealer for £24k and I'm getting quotes of around £16k. It's now on 39k, is 3.5 years old, full MB SH, is in excellent condition and has the driving assistance pack and the 360 camera.

It's lost a third of its value in under 12 months, and it wasn't even a brand new car to begin with. Has the used car market for our cars just fallen to pieces then?

I feel a bit of a fraud being here now that I have moved to a C300d, however.....
There are a couple of recent issues that can be connected. A move to Tesla and residual values.
First the Tesla - I have test driven the Model S and the Model 3. Performance is amazing but the build quality is so, so, so American!! I admit freely that two things made a Tesla almost impossible for me; 1 - the range; so many of my journeys would involve having to plan stops for a recharge that it was a non starter. 2 - the cost! The Model S can just about offer what you would take for granted from Merc, BMW, etc. but at £75k! The Model 3 just isn't good enough for £50k (obviously just my opinion).
Now residuals - yes the market for used cars has been hit hard. It also seems that complex Hybrids may be included in the car types that have been hit the hardest. This is also true for Teslas (although used prices are very sensitive to mileage). I do about 25k miles per year and keep my cars for about 3 years. On a Tesla X this would cost me about £12,000 per year in lost value. I guess there is still a fear about the long term reliability of batteries, electronics and traction electrics ; 'you pays your money and takes your choice'

I feel a bit of a fraud being here now that I have moved to a C300d, however.....
There are a couple of recent issues that can be connected. A move to Tesla and residual values.
First the Tesla - I have test driven the Model S and the Model 3. Performance is amazing but the build quality is so, so, so American!! I admit freely that two things made a Tesla almost impossible for me; 1 - the range; so many of my journeys would involve having to plan stops for a recharge that it was a non starter. 2 - the cost! The Model S can just about offer what you would take for granted from Merc, BMW, etc. but at £75k! The Model 3 just isn't good enough for £50k (obviously just my opinion).
Now residuals - yes the market for used cars has been hit hard. It also seems that complex Hybrids may be included in the car types that have been hit the hardest. This is also true for Teslas (although used prices are very sensitive to mileage). I do about 25k miles per year and keep my cars for about 3 years. On a Tesla X this would cost me about £12,000 per year in lost value. I guess there is still a fear about the long term reliability of batteries, electronics and traction electrics ; 'you pays your money and takes your choice'

When I chose the C350e, the only competition was the Passat GTE and the Mitsubishi Outlander. If I remember correctly, Carwow had them all available at £10k under the asking price...

@wrighty senior Hmmm. I'm not sure it's all hybrids and EVs that have seen used prices drop like a stone.

Look at these two articles (I should have bought either a Renault Zoe EV, a Prius hybrid or a Porsche to have low depreciation)
Growing consumer demand driven by the roll-out of clean air zones, cheaper running costs, increased charging points, incentives to drive and wider availability from manufacturers have also boosted average used values up by 14% over the last 12 months.

Chris Plumb, electric vehicle expert at Cap HPI, said: “The past few years have seen a steady growth of the new electric cars being registered in the UK, 2018 saw an increase of 13.8% over 2017 according to the SMMT.

“This has resulted in more used EV’s entering the market and satisfying the growing demand from the used consumer.

“Residual values are improving, with some models, such as the Renault Zoe, actually increasing in value in recent times.”

According to Cap HPI, the Renault Zoe continues to perform strongly due to low volumes in the market.

An 8% increase in April means that a one-year-old Zoe is worth almost 50% more than it was at the start of 2018 – a rise of around £5,000.
Source: Used EV volumes rise as demand drives 14% value increase in 12 months

Top 10 lowest depreciating cars in UK this year
Source: The 10 slowest-depreciating cars 2019

Just a question for owners.
How did most people buy if it was second hand.
I've seen a nice c350e but it's a private seller and outside the 3 year warranty (just)
Is it worth paying that extra 3k ish for the 12 month warranty from MB given all the issues people have had above.

Also, has anyone bought a ex MBUK employee car.. Are they meant to be better as it's advertised as such on the used approved?

The lady I called In sales today just told me the c400e is coming soon so either get the e class version or wait! She said that it's going to be rare they get more c350e's in now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom