C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
would you know the part number for the battery, as i may have to start looking,
this is the 2nd major fault as i had a bad fuel smell in cabin that cost me £1500 also.

I have seen second hand batteries for the C350e on EBay sure the part number was shown.
As Chris said check that it’s not the 12v battery that’s causing the problems.

Ha, never crossed my mind to look on eBay! Just did....and found a few. Did answer a few questions though, Samsung manufactured pack, 22Ah, 290V. Proper lottery using a used battery but got to be way cheaper than going to MB for a new one.

I wonder what cells it uses. Could even be a DIY proposition to replace cells if they happened to be a standard form factor. Big job to swap it out though - I recall seeing that YouTube vid of the battery being installed on the production line - second thing on the car after the paint by the look of it!

would you know the part number for the battery, as i may have to start looking,
this is the 2nd major fault as i had a bad fuel smell in cabin that cost me £1500 also.
Obviously if the warnings persist it makes it difficult to ignore. However, if you can get the warnings cancelled again I would really question the economical sense in replacing the battery. My car (used mostly for journeys of more than 30miles) averaged about 40mpg without charging and about 45mpg with charging. You would have to do a huge mileage at the lower mpg to justify the cost of a replacement battery.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.30.52.jpeg Thanks for your help guy's, while waiting on the appointment for Mb Dealer,
a friend of mine put his diognostic tester on my car,
and this was the result,
T759sEQ

I suspect the mpg hit of driving with no HV battery would be worse than just driving without charging as you’d get no regen “free miles” and no engine off miles either.

Doubt it would work at all though tbh

The cars high voltage system will have a safety circuit which detects any HV leakage and will isolate the battery as a safety device to protect people. Which component or cable /connection is causing this remains to be determined but your HV battery may be OK just isolated by the electronics ???
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidud43a/tidud43a.pdf

Last edited:
That’s an interesting find. Looks like some good reading. As a (mostly retired) engineer from an electronics based industry, I find it frustrating how little information is out there for my car. This sort of generic info is great though as it gives some insight into the systems that will be on the car.

One problem that occurred in the early c350e models was with the charge port and associated cabling. Can't remember now whether it involved water leakage or insulation problems but the solution was fitting a revised assembly. The problem caused a global electrical drivetrain shutdown possibly via the safety shut down system outlined above. I have tried to find the thread about it [ complete with pictures] but failed so far.:(

The pages may well be buried earlier in this thread!
The charging ports were changed under a recall. I'm sure it was for water ingress.

Apologies All, I am new to this rather large discussion, and was looking for some advice / help.
I have recently purchased a used 2016 c350e from an independent Mercedes dealer which is still under their warranty period. The issue i'm having is the car only seems to show a 9 mile range when fully charged but then only manages to achieve less then 2 miles on full electric.
Has anybody else seen this level of battery degradation?

That's pretty bad.

As I bang on about endlessly, the only way for punters with no special kit to get a rough idea of battery capacity is to measure how much energy you put in to charge it. Working out how far we can go on a charge is pretty much meaningless without some idea of conditions and driving style etc.

From a known starting %age, with a known charge power (either set from the dash or the granny charger), time how long it takes to reach 100%. Work out how much energy went in. Multiply this number by 100/(100-starting %age).

e.g. My last charge session.

Started at 12% (as indicated on dash)
Charged at 3.8kW
Charged for 1 hr 30 minutes.

Battery capacity is therefore ROUGHLY!!!!!!

100-12=88%
Charge energy = 3.8x1.5=5.7kWh
Total battery capacity = (100/88)x5.7 = 6.5kWh

This is very rough and ready as it includes lot of assumptions and omissions - but you get the idea.

Do the experiment, work it out and let us know.

Out of interest, how many miles has it done? The Battery Certificate covers it for 63000 miles/6 years.

Apologies All, I am new to this rather large discussion, and was looking for some advice / help.
I have recently purchased a used 2016 c350e from an independent Mercedes dealer which is still under their warranty period. The issue i'm having is the car only seems to show a 9 mile range when fully charged but then only manages to achieve less then 2 miles on full electric.
Has anybody else seen this level of battery degradation?

If it shows 9 miles and does 9 miles I wouldn't be worried.
If it shows 9 and only does 2, that does suggest something is wrong.

That's pretty bad.

As I bang on about endlessly, the only way for punters with no special kit to get a rough idea of battery capacity is to measure how much energy you put in to charge it. Working out how far we can go on a charge is pretty much meaningless without some idea of conditions and driving style etc.

From a known starting %age, with a known charge power (either set from the dash or the granny charger), time how long it takes to reach 100%. Work out how much energy went in. Multiply this number by 100/(100-starting %age).

e.g. My last charge session.

Started at 12% (as indicated on dash)
Charged at 3.8kW
Charged for 1 hr 30 minutes.

Battery capacity is therefore ROUGHLY!!!!!!

100-12=88%
Charge energy = 3.8x1.5=5.7kWh
Total battery capacity = (100/88)x5.7 = 6.5kWh

This is very rough and ready as it includes lot of assumptions and omissions - but you get the idea.

Do the experiment, work it out and let us know.

Out of interest, how many miles has it done? The Battery Certificate covers it for 63000 miles/6 years.
The car has done 21700 miles

Should be fine for warranty cover then, problem comes getting MB to accept it's a manufacturing defect and not "normal wear and tear"

Please keep us posted.

I just had the "7 Mercedes me connect services have expired" email and have renewed 2 of the 3 sets at the cost of £78.33+VAT. Very surprising that a manufacturer of "not cheap" cars would do this to their customers for such a small amount of money. My feeling about MB would be so much more positive if they had said: "The following services are due to expire and would normally cost £x to renew. However, we note that you have owned the car since new so, as a reward to a loyal customer, have automatically renewed the services".

I just had the "7 Mercedes me connect services have expired" email and have renewed 2 of the 3 sets at the cost of £78.33+VAT. Very surprising that a manufacturer of "not cheap" cars would do this to their customers for such a small amount of money. My feeling about MB would be so much more positive if they had said: "The following services are due to expire and would normally cost £x to renew. However, we note that you have owned the car since new so, as a reward to a loyal customer, have automatically renewed the services".

A nice gesture would be if it was on a service contract these services were included. They charge more than enough to change oil and plugs.

I renewed one “set” to get pre-entry and charge control/battery status, only to find that they had messed up and to get charge control/battery status you also need remote services. Having pointed it out to them, they did at least give me the extra set of services for free this time round, which was a nice gesture.

I think if you are on a service plan or extended warranty it would be a nice gesture to include them, but then again there is a cost to offering the services and those glass palaces can't be cheap to run! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom