C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks mate, your explanation is correct. Its not a company car though so BIK wouldn't apply to me but the OLEV grant obviously does.
I've driven a top of the range Prius for the last 4 years merely because of the fuel economy. The car reads 133K on the clock now yet it delivers 65mpg! I'm not a slow driver and most of my driving are on motorways but I can get only 7 mpg below what Toyota claims for a brand new Prius (72mpg)- even for a 5 years old car. It's all down to driving style (skill) as everyone knows. However I am concerned that the figures spoken here are way below what Mercedes claims (134 mpg)! As a senior engineer, I am well aware of the electronics and mechanical facts of a Plug-in Hybrid but I find it difficult to comprehend the large gap. A modern 2.0 liter Petrol engine should be able to deliver at least 55mpg on a reasonable torque and BHP. I just assume that by considering the weight to power ratio and the extra drag of an electric motor trying to charge a 6KW depleted battery pack, one might be able to justify the 40-45 mpg figure. But then that defeats the purpose of a PHEV.
I guess that we have to wait for more input into this issue before making a judgment.
Would driving the C350e in Sport greatly improve road handling/stability especially on windy day.

Sport lowers and stiffens the ride, but you can use the ‘personal’ setting and configure car to stay hybrid but with sport suspension if you want (I think! ages since I messed with that)

Looks like the new C-Class hybrid will have much improved electric performance:
"129hp motor and a 25.4kWh battery, giving around a 100km (62-mile) range."

Even if you take that with a pinch/handful of salt it should be at least 30 miles which is pretty handy.

Even if you take that with a pinch/handful of salt it should be at least 30 miles which is pretty handy.

Yeah, 6.38 kWh and 25.4 kWh is a big difference. It’s a shame with the current one I can’t even do a 2 x 5 miles commuting with a single charge this time of the year.

Last edited:

Awesome, looking forward to having this as my next Merc, anyone any idea on how much it will be selling?

Sport lowers and stiffens the ride, but you can use the ‘personal’ setting and configure car to stay hybrid but with sport suspension if you want (I think! ages since I messed with that)
I thought default setting is that when in Sport it automatically goes to Hybrid anyway,so what would change by putting it Sport via Individual settings?

Sport forces the ICE to run full time - it doesn’t even do stop/start in that mode. Confess I don’t think of that as hybrid mode, but that’s probably just my interpretation of it tbh.

I thought default setting is that when in Sport it automatically goes to Hybrid anyway,so what would change by putting it Sport via Individual settings?
The car will be more aggressive in general, the throttle response and gear changes will be different and the ICE will be running for the entire time.

Tbh a barely use it in sport or comfort mode, just simply too many options and the steps are too small to feel significant difference between the mid settings. I usually play on the edge, have the car in either eco mode or sport+ and let the steam out. 😇👹

I read some users mentioned that the suspension is different in eco and comfort mode, I’m not sure about this. Tested so many times and can’t feel any difference, even the diagram shows comfort suspension settings for both modes.

It does sound great. I wonder what impact the battery will have on overall kerb weight and space. Have batteries advanced in the past 7 years that we can now get more capacity without needing additional space and weight?

Last edited:
@seekay I agree. Haven't been able to feel any difference between comfort and eco. Maybe my body is not sensitive enough!

129bhp and 25kWh is pretty much a small EV. I'd never use petrol again if I had one....which would kind of make dragging the ICE around even more pointless. The balance on these things really is a fine line I think, and where it falls depends very much on how each person uses their car.

I do think I'd be happier with 25kWh than 6kWh though..... Bet MB don't offer an upgrade service.

129bhp and 25kWh is pretty much a small EV. I'd never use petrol again if I had one....which would kind of make dragging the ICE around even more pointless. The balance on these things really is a fine line I think, and where it falls depends very much on how each person uses their car.

I do think I'd be happier with 25kWh than 6kWh though..... Bet MB don't offer an upgrade service.
That would be the dream. Rather than in my case waiting about three years for depreciation on the new model, would gladly pay now for the 25kWh battery for the vastly increased range in my C350e.

The interior is "quite busy"!!! :eek:

20C0674_062.jpg

Is it a big problem if I hold up the traffic a little bit in order to achieve a longer electric range? On 50 mph dual carriageways only doing 35-40 mph is a bad thing? I always try to accelerate with 2 - maximum 3 bars and maintain the speed with only 1 bar where possible and sometimes with zero bar and just let the car coast.
When approaching to the roundabouts or traffic lights I always release the pedal well before and just coast for about 30-50 yards and this is the moment when everyone behind me gets so mad. I don’t want to piss off the other road users, just simply want to be able to do my 2 x 5 miles journey without the ICE kicked in. That’s all I want.

The doing 35-40 in a 50 would annoy me if I couldn't pass you out. However, coasting up to a red light is perfectly reasonable. Have always did this, apart from fuel consumption, if it goes green I will end up moving through quicker as I am already moving. Really don't understand people accelerating up to a red light to just sit there.

Remember your brake lights don't come on when you are coasting and it's surprising how quickly you can lose speed on our cars, so that can be annoying/catch out the people behind you.

Having the C350e has turned me into bloody hyper-miler!! I drive the thing like an old granny most of the time - makes me wonder why I got a car with just under 300bhp and 600Nm of torque. It's a habit I think I need to break TBH. The other cars we have don't get driven the same way.......

Remember your brake lights don't come on when you are coasting and it's surprising how quickly you can lose speed on our cars, so that can be annoying/catch out the people behind you.
I didn’t notice any significant deceleration when coasting, there is hardly any regenerative braking compare to a proper EV or other hybrids. If the car is in ECO mode and there is another vehicle in front that’s a different story of course.
Otherwise a regular ICE car has a much stronger engine break when putting in a lower gear.

I didn’t notice any significant deceleration when coasting, there is hardly any regenerative braking compare to a proper EV or other hybrids. If the car is in ECO mode and there is another vehicle in front that’s a different story of course.
Otherwise a regular ICE car has a much stronger engine break when putting in a lower gear.

Just did my first long drive with the battery on 100%.
So strange from driving a 'dirty diesel'
Partly the hybrid but also because it's new... I was driving like a granny!

Just wanted to ask, what is the actual best way to drive this for economy.
I get that charge mode is terrible.
I tried e mode and really enjoyed but, switching to hybrid, I found the engine constantly coming on and off.
Was confused that e save still uses the battery sometimes as I tried that for the motorway portion.
I've read the manual and descriptions but what's the real world opinion where I'd be driving mainly 30 and the occasional A road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom