C350e real world mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lights, heated seats, cabin heating- all going to make a difference.
Interestingly, even though plugged in- the pre climate does seem to draw down the battery.

I've noticed the electric range being a little higher the last couple of days, where it's been a little bit milder outside.

As for driving it, myself- I just leave it in Hybrid pretty much the whole time.

I finished at 530 miles, and about £45 of petrol consumed. Very happy with that!

just noticed something about pre-climate

Was just in an asda car park, sitting in the car charging it (As you do!!!!)

I put the pre-climate on (the red button that does it straight away) and the car stopped charging.

I wonder if I will get extra miles if I set the leave time about 20-30 minutes before I leave home, so the car is warm but it then has time to top the charge up.

anyone tried this?

It sounds like it will be interesting to see what range is available when the weather is suck that lights and preheating aren't necessary?

Roll on January when my car is due to arrive, then to the lighter warmer days when we can put these cars to the test properly!

I would love to know how you are doing 78.
Appreicate that you are charging twice a day, but how are you getting 14 miles?? what does your range show when on full charge?
Have you got any tips on extending the range (I drive full electric until it changes over to petrol). I pre climate the car, but I am wondering how much the lights affect the range.

Came home from Gatwick at midnight last night - no traffic. Set the Distrionic to 70 mph and did that for 90 mies - all motorway & dual carriageway. This averaged 37mpg with no charge at the start. When I first got the car with a tight engine it managed mid to high 40's and now with 4k I struggle to get 40mpg. My CLS 350CDI did well over 50mpg on a similar drive.

I am glad I bought the car for other reasons than economy so do not regret the purchase in any way.

I drove 200 miles today. My was watching my range computer and my sat nav distance left so was hoping not to have to stop for petrol. The range overtook the distance left to travel nicely at about 80 miles to go and 90 miles of fuel left, great. But then it jumped to "fuel reserve" with no info available about miles remaining, so I had to stop for fuel. Bit annoying!

I got my car on Tuesday, and filled up, whereupon I saw that I apparently had a 285 mile range! This is without charging the battery. I had a 300 mile round trip yesterday, mostly on motorways, and taking it relatively easy I did 43mpg in comfort/hyrid, with 140 miles range remaining. So I reckon for commuting I have a 400-450 mile range with no battery charging. I think the car reported that the engine was off for about 60 miles of the 300.

Chaps, have you noticed your driving habits changing by virtue of trying to improve mpg? I am not suggesting that is a bad thing, by the way.

Chaps, have you noticed your driving habits changing by virtue of trying to improve mpg? I am not suggesting that is a bad thing, by the way.

Yeah a little, though most of the time I don't drive all that fast anyway.
Every now and then decide to forget it and enjoy the power when it's safe to do so though!

I have found, and it was more noticeable in Sport+ last night- that the braking can be quite jerky and snatchy. I'm not sure if it's just the brakes aren't very run in yet because so much of my braking is via the motor or what, but sometimes the slightest dab of brakes and the car snatches much too strongly.
It's my only gripe to be honest, for what is otherwise an awesome car.

Yes I have found the brakes to be a bit grabby, but at 2 days old I guess they still need some running in!

Less than 100 miles on the clock and got 13 of my 16 mile commute on electric this morning so >99.9mpg. Does anyone know if there is a display somewhere that shows an accurate amount of fuel and kWh used? Would enable us to work out the true running cost. It's all slightly fuzzy at the moment (though the BIK saving makes it all worthwhile anyway!)

I have said this to a few people.

I was (un)lucky enough to go on a speed awareness course a few weeks ago and they talked about reading the road. It is interesting as I keep my distance now from cars, and let my car do the slowing down for me (although I am a little concerned that the brake lights don't come on when the car slows itself down).

This morning I just drove on hybrid for my 1 miles to work. Engine kicked in twice at roundabouts, but managed to get to work on electric.

Only issue I have is a squeaky passenger wheel which I have to wait until 6th Jan to get it looked at.

Filled up last night and for a 65 mile range I put £43.00 at 99.9p a litre

charged the car for 10 days, and on a couple of days twice at home. Would love to know how much 'extra' the tank cost me for those miles.

I have found, and it was more noticeable in Sport+ last night- that the braking can be quite jerky and snatchy. I'm not sure if it's just the brakes aren't very run in yet because so much of my braking is via the motor or what, but sometimes the slightest dab of brakes and the car snatches much too strongly.
It's my only gripe to be honest, for what is otherwise an awesome car.

I still find it the same in mine and I've done just under 3000 miles. Definitely most noticeable in Sport+ mode. Also sometimes when I come to an almost stop, then move off again the car seems to give me a huge shove in the back, even with the mildest of acceleration. Maybe it just doesn't like going slow? :)

I still find it the same in mine and I've done just under 3000 miles. Definitely most noticeable in Sport+ mode. Also sometimes when I come to an almost stop, then move off again the car seems to give me a huge shove in the back, even with the mildest of acceleration. Maybe it just doesn't like going slow? :)

Exactly that!
I was in sport+ approaching a roundabout and it was downright uncomfortable...

Mardeman, here's what I've found over past 3 months....

When the car is charged mine typically reads 13miles, however that is allowing 22-23% charge left in the car. If you leave it in Hybrid mode the ICE will kick in and also start to recharge the batteries which affects the mpg. If you switch to e-mode you can get another 10-12% of charge before the ICE kicks in. So if you see 13miles when 100% charged, switch to e-mode when the charge symbol appears on the dash and you should get another 1-1.5miles getting you up to 14miles of electric range.
I also tend to not have the AC switched on and rarely need to plug in the phone.
I tend drive in Eco mode, the automated distance braking (which is regenerative) only seems to operate in Eco mode, though it takes a bit of getting used to as its quite unerving to start with. I have also found that the car coasts a great deal further in Eco rather than Comfort which adds to the range. However, foot to the floor and it rapidly wakes up!

Last edited:
Interesting and glad I didn't go for a hyrbid now for my company car. My neighbour has the Lexus CT200 and gets about 40-46 mpg average. He drives a mainly mixed A/B road configuration of 80 miles a day.

I plumped for a 116ED+ and to be honest its the best car I have ever had on fuel. It returned 72MPG from Cornwall to Enfield sat on cruise at 70-75 mph. In general it averages 62-70 mpg. Around town you still return 50+ mpg from the 1.5 3 cylinder diesel.

To be fair to BMW its a cracking car to drive and live with granted it may not have the C Class comfort but its more fun to chuck about.

I must admit Hybrids are clever and probably the way forward but until they can match and better the best diesels on the market I still will not purchase one.

I agree with all that you have said.

Mardeman, here's what I've found over past 3 months....

When the car is charged mine typically reads 13miles, however that is allowing 22-23% charge left in the car. If you leave it in Hybrid mode the ICE will kick in and also start to recharge the batteries which affects the mpg. If you switch to e-mode you can get another 10-12% of charge before the ICE kicks in. So if you see 13miles when 100% charged, switch to e-mode when the charge symbol appears on the dash and you should get another 1-1.5miles getting you up to 14miles of electric range.
I also tend to not have the AC switched on and rarely need to plug in the phone.
I tend drive in Eco mode, the automated distance braking (which is regenerative) only seems to operate in Eco mode, though it takes a bit of getting used to as its quite unerving to start with. I have also found that the car coasts a great deal further in Eco rather than Comfort which adds to the range. However, foot to the floor and it rapidly wakes up!

As soon as I start the car I make sure it is in Eco. For my journey to work I drive in Hybrid as there are a couple of times I don't mind the engine kicking in (fast roundabouts). Also, no point running the battery fully flat as I still have my journey home.

Still spending loads of time looking at the different gauges, and I don't mind this as my drive home is boring!!

Would I choose this car again?

Interesting and glad I didn't go for a hyrbid now for my company car. My neighbour has the Lexus CT200 and gets about 40-46 mpg average. He drives a mainly mixed A/B road configuration of 80 miles a day.

I plumped for a 116ED+ and to be honest its the best car I have ever had on fuel. It returned 72MPG from Cornwall to Enfield sat on cruise at 70-75 mph. In general it averages 62-70 mpg. Around town you still return 50+ mpg from the 1.5 3 cylinder diesel.

To be fair to BMW its a cracking car to drive and live with granted it may not have the C Class comfort but its more fun to chuck about.

I must admit Hybrids are clever and probably the way forward but until they can match and better the best diesels on the market I still will not purchase one.

This car IS economical if you rememeber it is a 2.0ltr petrol.

We have quite a few new company cars on order and a few have gone for this.

The difference in Car tax of the 350e against a 3 series is about £80 a month, and there is no way that I would be spending that much extra driving this car, even at 40mpg. AND, the 350e is much higher spec than the BM.

I am in no way a badge snob and have driven 200k miles in Skodas. My wife, mum and aunt all have skodas. I leased this car for one reason PRICE. When I got paid yesterday and had my car allowance removed, even taking into account the extra I have to pay towards this car (over the company budget) I still think I will be over £100 better off than I was with my Skoda.

The tax on your BMW is £40 a month more than on the 350e (next year) and that is the same as a 400 mile tank.

For company car drivers I don't think the fuel economy is the number one consideration. I have a fully expensed fuel card so the fuel mileage to me won't be a concern, but the tax benefits are huge, even in comparison to the 1.6 diesel Audi A3 sport back I currently have.

For me the choice to go for the 350e was a complete no brainer and even paying £99 a month to upgrade a level still sees me the thick end of £150 a month better off than I am with the Audi.

I looked at the A4, 3 series and Jag XE, but none could match the Merc on spec for equipment even in its basic form. It's a fantastic value car in my opinion but then I'm not paying for it in any way other than my tax code, so for me it makes perfect sense. For a private driver or or a company car driver paying for their own fuel I guess the fuel economy would be a much greater consideration.

If I achieve anything like the fuel economy I get in the Audi (high 40s mpg) I'll be more than happy with the Mercedes and I'm looking forward to the luxury and performance my new car will give me when it arrives in the new year.

For company car drivers I don't think the fuel economy is the number one consideration. I have a fully expensed fuel card so the fuel mileage to me won't be a concern, but the tax benefits are huge, even in comparison to the 1.6 diesel Audi A3 sport back I currently have.

For me the choice to go for the 350e was a complete no brainer and even paying £99 a month to upgrade a level still sees me the thick end of £150 a month better off than I am with the Audi.

I looked at the A4, 3 series and Jag XE, but none could match the Merc on spec for equipment even in its basic form. It's a fantastic value car in my opinion but then I'm not paying for it in any way other than my tax code, so for me it makes perfect sense. For a private driver or or a company car driver paying for their own fuel I guess the fuel economy would be a much greater consideration.

If I achieve anything like the fuel economy I get in the Audi (high 40s mpg) I'll be more than happy with the Mercedes and I'm looking forward to the luxury and performance my new car will give me when it arrives in the new year.

I pay for my own fuel, but do get the company to pay business mileage, so the longer less economical runs hopefully get covered by my mileage claim anyway.

This screen shot is of my commute to and from work today (finished early!). I am getting in excess of 100mpg for my round commute. No diesel or non Plug-in hybrid can touch that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom