c350e - Which Home Charger / pod ? (UK)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Driver15

Car
Currently in a Hire Car
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to start when looking for a charger for at home for a C350e ? Any grants still about for these ? Which connection does it use ?

The C350e seems to just have one socket, some (non MB) have 2 types of sockets (ie Outlander) is there a reason of limitation with charging options?

Thank you

British gas is one option. The C350e will charge from 16a or 8a so you can use the rapid charge system or the normal 13a 3 pin domestic standard. There is still a grant available I believe and BG will advise. Shouldn't cost you any more than 175 pounds after the grant, you may want to find a local expert too, like a low carbon company, I found one in North Wales I will be using.

British gas is one option. The C350e will charge from 16a or 8a so you can use the rapid charge system or the normal 13a 3 pin domestic standard. There is still a grant available I believe and BG will advise. Shouldn't cost you any more than 175 pounds after the grant, you may want to find a local expert too, like a low carbon company, I found one in North Wales I will be using.

Thanks for this, I had seen the BG ones this evening after posting. Im with EDF and sent them an email yesterday who advised me to speak with their greenteam on Monday. (google suggests edf offered a charge system a few years back.)

If not, the BG sounds a good option.

Rick, the people I am intending using are doing installations North West apparently, they are called carbon Zero renewables- I'm not sure where you are?
if you are in that region contact [email protected]
maybe that helps, if not he might be able to recommend someone closer to you

Rick, the people I am intending using are doing installations North West apparently, they are called carbon Zero renewables- I'm not sure where you are?
if you are in that region contact [email protected]
maybe that helps, if not he might be able to recommend someone closer to you

Thanks for the shared contact - I'm in West Yorkshire -

Since posting i have recently found that the goverment will pay 75% of the total cost capped at £700 for a home charger if you use one of their approved suppliers.

Will post this here in case it helps.

Link -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...homecharge-scheme-guidance-for-customers-2015

Thanks

cheers Rick, yeah found that as well.
Just had bad news from my dealer that the C350e engine is being heavily restricted and nothing will be available before October, after which there will be 'reasonable' availability until December. So I won't be getting mine on 1st September as i thought!

Jdl60 that sucks, might mean I have to rethink ordering mine.
But then I did think it was wishful thinking for September. Most decent cars have big waits at the moment, even an order spec Skoda Octavia has a 6 month wait. I've read it's due to demand in Asia, how true that is I don't know.

yip, a bit peeved, but let's see, not cancelling just yet!

Regarding the charge unit, its the same price for a 16a or 32a home charger. Is there any reason why i would not chose the 32a?

Is the C350e max charge rate 16a ? I guess the car will just take what power it requires ?

EDIT- spoke to a company and they advised the car will only pull the max amp it requires.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz C350 Plug-in Hybrid debuts in Detroit

The C 350 PLUG-IN HYBRID uses the currently most advanced form of hybrid technology. Its electrical energy storage unit is a high-voltage lithium-ion battery with a total capacity of 6.2 kWh, which can be charged from an external power source and so makes an effective contribution to the low consumption and emission figures. The battery is water-cooled, weighs around 100 kilograms and is mounted in a sheet steel housing underneath the rear axle in order to maximise crash safety, driving dynamics and boot space.
Thanks to an intelligent on-board charging system, the battery can be recharged in around 1 hour 45 minutes at a wallbox or at one of the growing number of public charging points (230 V, 16 A, 3.7 kW single-phase), which in some cases offer privileged parking. Alternatively, charging via a standard domestic socket is of course also possible. Depending on the connection, a charge time of around two hours is achievable (with 230 V and 13 A, 3.0 kW).

If you think about it there isn't much difference between 16A and 13A . ?

has anyone whos got a C350E on order, ordered a charger yet ?

Take a look at ZapMap - it's a great source of info about charging, grants, providers etc.

I have a Rolec 32a point at home, installed earlier in the year when it was pretty much free as my wife has a Nissan Leaf EV and has to charge. If I only had the 350e then I probably wouldn't bother paying out now for a charge point as a 13a plug does the trick as it is such a low capacity battery!

I bought a Rolec Pod, had a local electrician to safely install it( approx £200 all in ) and then armed with the FOC 8 metre cable which I run over the path in front of my house. Works well for me.

I have a rolec 16A wall box with the tethered plug, supplied and fitted free by a local company Elm EV.. It has a smart meter with it to send usage details to the DECC.

Had a Rolec charger fitted yesterday. Just need the car now to fit on the end of it! Still expected Jan 4th which has been the same for several months now. I hope that I get confirmation soon as I've been waiting since April.

I just had a Chargemaster (Polar) tethered charger fitted. Also waiting for car delivery - expected on 4th Jan. Fingers crossed they do not change the date!

The day I have to fit a charger to my home to get into my boring, lifeless hybrid I hope they legalise euthanasia because I will be asking my family to turn off my machine after topping myself.

Damn this government and their Eco crap.

The day I have to fit a charger to my home to get into my boring, lifeless hybrid I hope they legalise euthanasia because I will be asking my family to turn off my machine after topping myself.

Damn this government and their Eco crap.

You have seen some of the performance of these "lifeless hybrids" some of them will kill anything out of the AMG stable

You have seen some of the performance of these "lifeless hybrids" some of them will kill anything out of the AMG stable

Yes. When I bought the M3 I tried and I8 actually and the performance is impressive but it has no "feel" it's a blunt instrument for me I'm afraid. The M3 outshone it in every single way.

Plus what happens when the batteries need replacing £££££££.

Oh and the Eco friendliness of it is not really a selling point because guess how much pollution was made making those batteries!

Technology isn't there yet for me.

Paying a huge premium for a car that is not as good on fuel as the equivalent diesel is a bit silly to me.

Having said that when AMG finally have to downsize to very small turbocharged engines with KERS and hybrid stuff like the 918 style it will be a very sad day :(

Save for £1M+ hypercars, typical hybrids and electric vehicles have no top end so are harmless to fairly modern AMGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom