C36 Amg engine into R107 SL project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No the M104 ECU is modern enough to talk to the Star computer as is the gearbox I will be using so I think it is worthwhile. Depends on how quickly you get the engine running I guess!

No the M104 ECU is modern enough to talk to the Star computer as is the gearbox I will be using so I think it is worthwhile. Depends on how quickly you get the engine running I guess!
What port is it for the scanner, OBD??

Yep it will be OBD. However depending on the age of the donor car it may not be a standard OBD port format, for instance my 1998 S500 had an MB specific connector so I had to purchase an adaptor cable to make it work with an OBD II reader.

The Star computer comes with all the cables you need right back to non electronic ignition cars where they can be used for basic timing diagnostics

Ben

Any progress here...?

Not much progress, apart from doing a test fit of the engine I have done very little. Apologies for not updating the thread with these pictures at the time (April).

Currently half ****dly trying to sell my R230 SL to fund the bodywork restoration of the R107.

74208_10152768305480788_1561815680_n.jpg

69059_10152768306015788_1624687239_n.jpg

430569_10152768305810788_149230473_n.jpg

So it fits! Very nice :thumb:

Smart solution on the subframe. No trouble with the authorities, MOT...?

So it fits! Very nice :thumb:

Smart solution on the subframe. No trouble with the authorities, MOT...?

Don't know about the MOT and things, that is a long way off.

It only just fits, very close to the bonnet (I also did a test bonnet fit, no pictures) so it is possible.

Next steps are

i) rear suspension refresh
ii) bodywork

Ben

I'm following this thread for a while because it would be very nice to replace my M116 for a late M104 with 722.6. A huge job and a SLC isn't worth the work, but I like my slc and want to make it a bit more future proof for daily driver. At the moment I can buy a W140 320 1997.

Electrical it shouldn't be the biggest problem because worst case I would put the complete wiring harness of the donor car at the passenger seat.

Mechanical I expect more troubles. I read about the subframe mod, but isn't there much more?
- Can a W140 diff be fitted at a W107? Mounting is totally different but it would be the way to get the signals to satisfy the electronics.
- does the gearbox fit without trouble at a W107? I understand the 722.6 is wider then the older 722's.

I don't need ABS and other systems, jut a proper engine and auto (722.6) gearbox. Can I ignore all the stuff at the CAN bus from the W140?

Thanks.

Hello,

Not much of an update from me. Have simply not had the time over the last 12 - 18 months to do anything worthwhile with the project compounded by a need to store kit for a new business venture has reduced my garage space by a lot.

I have recently been inspired to crack on with it having seen the beautiful job a friend has done restoring his car.

Ben

I'm following this thread for a while because it would be very nice to replace my M116 for a late M104 with 722.6. A huge job and a SLC isn't worth the work, but I like my slc and want to make it a bit more future proof for daily driver. At the moment I can buy a W140 320 1997.

Electrical it shouldn't be the biggest problem because worst case I would put the complete wiring harness of the donor car at the passenger seat.

Mechanical I expect more troubles. I read about the subframe mod, but isn't there much more?
- Can a W140 diff be fitted at a W107? Mounting is totally different but it would be the way to get the signals to satisfy the electronics.
- does the gearbox fit without trouble at a W107? I understand the 722.6 is wider then the older 722's.

I don't need ABS and other systems, jut a proper engine and auto (722.6) gearbox. Can I ignore all the stuff at the CAN bus from the W140?

Thanks.

Can I just suggest you could use a stand alone controller for the 722.6 auto from this guy:
Home
And then use some kind of megasquirt / etc solution to run the engine?

No affiliation, I'm just in the process of buying one myself. He has a help thread here:
Gearbox Controller 722.6 ver 2

I just get pity and remorse and pain feelings when I see people try to completely de-wire a Mercedes shell for a driveline swap.. :p

Beers.

^ It's borderline if the 722.6 will fit in the 107 tunnel. I initially tried it and it was way tight, then abandoned the idea in favour of a manual box mainly because the controller wasn't available at the time.

Not saying it wont fit....just :dk:

Just spotted this thread, I am in the middle of a full C36 transplant in a w124. This includes the c36 wiring loom, ECU, abs, gearbox etc etc.

Google E36 AMG project. It's a thread on Benz World. (I am on my phone just now so can't add a hyperlink) Lots of info on the thread that may assist in getting yours up & running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom