C36 Catalytic Converters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rees_A

Banned
Car
CLK55 AMG
Hi all,

I've got to replace my cats on my C36 AMG, I've had 2 prices so far for stainless steel performance replacements, 1 is from a company called 'MIJ Performance' in Wallsall who are quoting £350 fully fitted and 1 from a local company called 'Torque Exhausts Ltd' for £700 fitted. The local one is best for me but costs twice as much(Walsall is apporx 130 miles from me). Does anyone know either of these companies or if these prices are reasonable? seems quite a big gap between the 2

sounds good

the back box for my car cost £425 fitted 1/2 exhaust so yours can't be bad....warranty paid though :bannana:

Hi Rees,
been thro this already with mine, the prices seem a bit cheap to me!
Be carefull on a few things

- you have 2 CATS not 1, make sure price is for both.
- What sort of CATS are they replacing em with, Ive seen the cheap ones and they wont last very long.
to give you an example on a top perf cats price, ring www.haywardandscott.co.uk

they will tell you a high perf cat will cost you abt £800 each (£1600 in total) + the actual exhaust on top!

I think we have discussed CATS before, but by way of some thoughts, I think you need to consider two options;

The first, is that is you are looking to keep the car for 18months +, you would be advised to go for some well built CAT's or genuine MB replacements.

My local indi refuses to fit cheap CAT's for customers nowadays as they always start to rattle and break up within 18months.....he will only fit MB replacements

As I understand it the genuine MB CAT's are very good quality, but pricey.....but I suppose you get what you pay for.

The second option is that if you are planning to sell the car in the next 12 months, fit the cheaper CAT's.

Got my cats done now. Bought SS High Perf jobbies from Torque Exhausts. They have a long warranty and the car pulls much smoother now and doesn't rattle. Also seems a little more torquey probably down to Perf cats and the fact that they are working properly. Should I see an improvement in MPG? I think it may have made a diff but not sure as I went for a little run(Although it was only 25 miles each way and I was going 100mph plus in both directions) on the latest tank full(Usually get approx 160 to a tank but am on 185 and the low light hasn't come on yet.(Only fitted when I had half a tank left so if the improvement is 20 miles for half, might be 40 for a full tank...heres wishing....

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom