C36 head gasket replacment questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dolf

I have a 1995 c36 amg and need to replace the head gasket. What I would like to know is what other parts will I need to get to complete the job?

Thanks
Dolf

Head bolts

3L of coolant

Rocker cover gasket

Front cover seal

Timing chain tensioner seals

Inlet manifold gaskets

(depending on if head work is done)

Exhaust manifold gaskets

I think that is it.

Thanks for that. Has anyone else had problems with oil leaking from the head gasket on the w202 c36? I've been on an american forum and it seems to be quite a common problem.

They all do it at some point

dolf

there was a merc bulletin reducing the oil level for all 104 engines - do not fill more than halfway between min and max on dipstick.

will likely cure your problem.

please report back on results.

I've also been told it is most likely the timing cover thats leaking and not the head gasket, but it's hard to tell untill it's apart and when it is, it's not much more work just to change the head gasket anyway. :crazy:

Do you think it would be possible to change the head gasket without having the head skimmed? As it has never over heated and the coolant and oil haven't mixed and this would make the job much cheaper and easier for me to get done.

Do you think it would be possible to change the head gasket without having the head skimmed? As it has never over heated and the coolant and oil haven't mixed and this would make the job much cheaper and easier for me to get done.
This is debatable. Personally I always send the head off for a pressure test and clean. I also ask them to check the head for being straight and true. Total cost............£36. To me it makes sense to send it away.

..what other parts will I need to get to complete the job?
Make sure you get the right headgasket. You need an AMG one and not the 320 one.
...Head bolts.
Do you always change the bolts? I measured mine and they were well with spec so I re-used them.

Last edited:
This is debatable. Personally I always send the head off for a pressure test and clean. I also ask them to check the head for being straight and true. Total cost............£36. To me it makes sense to send it away.

£36 is a good price, but it's mainly the amount of time the car will be off the road that's the problem for me at the moment. I'll have to ring around and see if I can find somewhere I can get the head to them and back on the same day. Unless I book some time off work to get it done.

Make sure you get the right headgasket. You need an AMG one and not the 320 one.

Do you always change the bolts? I measured mine and they were well with spec so I re-used them.

Always. For the cost of them I always replace them.

When I put my C36 engine into my 190 , I got the HG done at a place in Harringey , price including skim and gasket was £115 .

when was that - 1910 ?

Do not underestimate the time to do a gasket change on the twin cam 104 6 cylinder engine engine.

When I put my C36 engine into my 190 , I got the HG done at a place in Harringey , price including skim and gasket was £115 .
:eek: skim and gasket change for £115. He must work for peanuts as its an 8 hour job. A Mercedes gasket alone is going to cost in the region of £50.

I got it done about 6 months ago . Admittedly I got it at wholesale but still .
You guys must be used to stealership prices . The skim and presure test cost £80 and the Steel(?) HG £35 .
I think the price is still valid including pressure test .
I can get you the details on Monday if you like ?

Middlesex Rebore in Mill Hill are a similar price too . Valve lap-in and seats are about £2 ea there .

You do realise that I took the head to them don't you ?

My garage took the head off in about 20 minutes , and re-fitting took about 2 hours .The price for that was included in the engine fitting .

BTW never change the head gasket without checking the cylinder head . Once the head is off you must get it done .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom