C36 manual conversion flywheel help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toniw201

Car
w201
Hi chaps , New to the forum, hope your all well, I have a w201 fitted with a C36 Amg engine but its auto and want to convert it to manual, I pretty much have everything
needed but stuck with which flywheel use , the one I have is from a 2.6 as far as I'm aware the timing pickup is different, i can buy a modified one off the shelf
but at a cost I cant justify at the moment almost 1k, so just looking for some advice really,
Is there a bolt on option from another model

thanks

What gearbox are you thinking of using?
I have a 2.6 manual gearbox and hopefully a cosworth one coming but both will work with the same flywheel, I did it once before but with a 300/24 valve k-jet , can’t see the fitting being any different, it’s just the timing pick up that is The difference between the two engines, ie 300/24 valve K-jet and the 3.6

The question is what type of flywheel your gearbox needs.

If it's a dual mass type, the only off the shelf flywheel that will work is from a early w202 c280 sport. You can buy an LUK version new with a clutch for around £400.

If it's the older solid flywheel type, you will need to drill a hole to mount the cps magnet in one of the timing segments. But make sure this is in exactly the correct place or your ignition timing will be off.

Before you put all of the parts in the car, be sure to replace the rubber bushes in the gear linkage with nylon or brass versions.

The question is what type of flywheel your gearbox needs.

If it's a dual mass type, the only off the shelf flywheel that will work is from a early w202 c280 sport. You can buy an LUK version new with a clutch for around £400.

If it's the older solid flywheel type, you will need to drill a hole to mount the cps magnet in one of the timing segments. But make sure this is in exactly the correct place or your ignition timing will be off.

Before you put all of the parts in the car, be sure to replace the rubber bushes in the gear linkage with nylon or brass versions.
Thanks for the info, I have a single mass flywheel as the gearbox is a long shaft,

I know I can modify the flywheel to work but haven't got the first clue and don't really want to get it wrong, just hopping there might be a straight bolt on the don't cost the earth

Do not use the 2.6 gearbox they are just straight horrid been there done that. Also the prices of getrags nowadays is insane and they are not particularly nice either. I personally would save up and get the later 6 speed and get a custom flywheel. Do it once do it right :)

Any more info or pics of the car please ? Sounds interesting !

Excellent ! Out of curiosity what was the donor vehicle...w201 but colour, original engine, model..Sportline etc ? Looking forward to pics

Thanks for the info, I have a single mass flywheel as the gearbox is a long shaft,

I know I can modify the flywheel to work but haven't got the first clue and don't really want to get it wrong, just hopping there might be a straight bolt on the don't cost the earth
For a single mass there is no cheap option, unless you fit the cps magnet yourself. It's not hard to do but must be done correctly.

You can get a custom flywheel made as the others have suggested, but add a clutch kit to that and your at £1k before you start.

6 speed conversions are nice but is not a simple job, also you will loose your speedo as the drive is not fitted.

For a single mass there is no cheap option, unless you fit the cps magnet yourself. It's not hard to do but must be done correctly.

You can get a custom flywheel made as the others have suggested, but add a clutch kit to that and your at £1k before you start.

6 speed conversions are nice but is not a simple job, also you will loose your speedo as the drive is not fitted.
Could you advise how or point me to anyone who could help me in modifying my flywheel to work
Thanks

Could you advise how or point me to anyone who could help me in modifying my flywheel to work
Thanks
A decent machine shop should be able to do it, but if you get stuck send me a message here and I'll sort one in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom