C36 non starter - Failed headgasket ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2

Car
Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16v, Lancia Delta HF LS Turbo 16V, C240, C36 ///AMG
Ok, I've let my heart rule my head and gone a bought a non starter of a C36 :crazy:.

Two obvious problems :

1. Engine will not turn at all, you can hear the starter click then the dash lights go dim , sign that the battery is being drained.

I suspect it's due to either a duff starter or battery. I have put the battery on a charge, fingers crossed.

2. I have found traces of the much dreaded milkeshake on the oil filler cap, - sign that water is mixing wiith the oil in the engine however when I check the oil on the dipstick it's the normal black colour :confused:.

I would have expected the the fluid on the dipstick to be the same as on the oil filler cover if there was indeed a head gasket failure but I stand to be corrected.

Can those in the know confirm if what the symptons of a failed head gasket are.

Thanks in advance

Failed head gasket usually means it will boil water and overheat, possibly distorting the head which would need skimming. The 'milk shake' can also be caused by short runs where the engine doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the condensation that occurs. I would also check the quality of the starter lead and earth contacts as if poor that could cause the dimming of the lights.

is that the none starter on ebay last week how much did it sell for

it wont turn over well
you need a good battery with a c36 to turn over

also gunk under cap means water and oil mix

the oil in the engine should be the same but it may not be also
check the water level drain the rad and put fresh water in with anti freeze fill to max and watch if you get it started to see if you have a leaky rad or your loosing it to the headgasket prob

keep us posted

also pull out plugs have a look at them and see if they are fouled

clean and put back

good luck

I guess it's this one.
Try everything suggested above but if the head is cracked it won't be worth fixing. I have a spare 3.6 engine for sale on e-bay. ;)

is that the none starter on ebay last week how much did it sell for

it wont turn over well
you need a good battery with a c36 to turn over

also gunk under cap means water and oil mix

the oil in the engine should be the same but it may not be also
check the water level drain the rad and put fresh water in with anti freeze fill to max and watch if you get it started to see if you have a leaky rad or your loosing it to the headgasket prob

keep us posted

also pull out plugs have a look at them and see if they are fouled

clean and put back

good luck

Yes, that's the one, it went for £1099.09.

I found somewhat strange that the oil on the dipstick was not the same. I'll take the plugs out next to see if they are indeed fould but first I am going to try starting it again once the battery is fully charged.

I did also notice that the expansion tank was empty !, I suspect the owner had either not bothered to top it up or had been topping it up with water alone because when I asked for water to top it up he gave me a container of water from the boot of his car.

If it turns out it needs a new head gasket I'll do the work myself, I'll just need some guidiance. I'v worked on twin cam Lancia's before some hopefully that experience will come in handy.

You had a bargain there; it'll easily break for that if you can't get it going.
If I'd seen it I would have bought it and put my engine in.

I guess it's this one.
Try everything suggested above but if the head is cracked it won't be worth fixing. I have a spare 3.6 engine for sale on e-bay. ;)
That's it. The seller seemed genuine and the history and other checks turned out ok. The car had been sitting in the same spot since December.

Where's the link to your engine, I could do with having a spare engine.

Keep us posted how you get on. I fancied that myself - just a wee bit far south to pick up for me.

Good Luck with it.

I eventually got the car started this morning, it took while but it started however it's running rough as if a cyclinder is not firing and also there is the tell tale sign of steam from the exhaust indicating that water is in the engine !. Initially I though it was just the normal steam you get on start-up but after about 5 minutes it was still pumping out steam :(

There is still no oil & water mix on the dipstick
View attachment 22856

I'll take the plugs out this afternoon to see if I can locate the cyclinder which is not firing and look for signs of oil/water on the plugs.

I am hoping there 's no damage to the block itself and that it will just be a gasket change job.

I'll be needing a list of parts and part numbers required for a head gasket replacement.

Last edited:
It could be worth your while doing a cylinder leak down test.

That car was a bargain on eBay though, well bought! :)

Will

Hi,
I,m sure I saw that car being sold on E-bay by a trader, the pics were taken on his forecourt, can,t remember exactly how long ago possibly a year ago now, as i offered to buy the plate off of him.
He wanted £4995 for the car.
Good luck with the car.

i bet it will be the back three plugs that are fouled and you might need new plugs
or ht leads get from a scraped c ,E ,s class m104 engine leads cheap enough

keep us posted love to here you got a deal

Ok, I took the plus out this afternoon, the plug in cylinder 2 had water on it, all the others were dry as a bone. Also the water in the expansion tank has disappeared.

I am begining to suspect that the gasket has failed near cylinder 2.

I am going to change the gasket, so far I reckon i need the following

Head bolts

Rocker cover gasket

Front cover seal

Timing chain tensioner seals

Inlet manifold gaskets

Exhaust manifold gaskets

I'll also be looking to have the head tested as skimed .

Does anyone have the correct part numbers and also any recomendations as to where i can get the head checked and skimmed once it's off the car.

The full up retail price from MBUK by a MB dealer is about £80/£90

Best to get here as you will have MBUK part warranty on it

Maybe take the head off and pressure test it before buying the gasket?
If it is cracked you might as well stop there. A new head will be crazy money.
You might get away with a 3.2 head but they're not actually the same. If water has been sitting in the bores since December there could be damage to the piston rings/bores. Again, price up pistons :eek:

You should also check the oil cooler, assuming its water cooled it has the same symptoms as head gasket failure. I had the same problem on my coupe with a water cooled oil cooler.

QEP in Burgess Hill can do the head work - but there should be someone closer

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom