C36 non starter - Failed headgasket ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, a replacement gasket is now on order. I could only order the gasket and not the complete gasket set. Do you have the codes for the other gaskets, I would like to replace the chain cover gasket as the injector gaskets if I could get the part number for those as well.

The amg head gasket is sold seperatly and not part of a set, just use the other gaskets from the 2.8 set you allready have.(they are the same)

Collected the skimmed head today.

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

How much was the correct AMG head gasket cost ?

Mine was 96 pounds a year ago.

The AMG gasket (only) cost me £101 !, while the C280 gasket kit cost £89.

How it going so far ???????

No prgress i'm afraid, I've been very busy with work lately and I've not had time to work on the car. If the weather holds this weekend I might be able to make a start on cleaning the block surface and cylinders.

Last edited:
No prgress i'm afraid, I've been very busy with work lately and I've not had time to work on the car. If the weather holds this weekend I might be able to make a start on cleaning the block surface and cylinders.

Thanks for the update. Lets hope you find a little peace this weekend.

Last edited:
Exhaust cam

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

Good luck, make sure you place 4 mm pins into the cams so you can lock them. This will save you time and allows you to get the crank to tdc. On the inlet cam to make sure it is in retarded position you need to turn the sprocket clock wise until it does not go anymore. Once you have done this your timing is set. I have just done my M104 E280. Good luck and hope this helps.

Good luck, make sure you place 4 mm pins into the cams so you can lock them. This will save you time and allows you to get the crank to tdc. On the inlet cam to make sure it is in retarded position you need to turn the sprocket clock wise until it does not go anymore. Once you have done this your timing is set. I have just done my M104 E280. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks, This weekend , I'll do one more cycle of cleaning the block mating surface and the bores, then put the head back on.

As you've recently done this mabe you could you let me know if I've missed anything out in the check the list below

1. fit head and tighten head bolts to specified torque settings
torque wrench set to 55Nm, then two 90 degree turns. What is the tightening sequence ?,

2. fit timing chain, ensuring that slack is on the exhaust side of the engine

3. fit gude rail pin

4. fit tensioner

(inlet cam sproket set to the retarded position by turning it clockwise untill it does not move anymore)

5. Turn the engine by hand through 2 complete cycles and check that 1.) timing is still set correctly 2.) there is no undue restance while turning the engine by hand.

6. Once all checks out OK fit everything back together, drain whats left of fluids (oil and coolant) and replace with new, also replacing filter

7. Check and double check eveything, then crank engine a couple of times to get the oil circulating ( I am not sure how to disable the fuel pump while doing this)

8. Enable fuel pump and start engine.

Any other handy tips will be welcome.

special proceedure for tensioner so do ask if unsure.

it saves breaking the camshaft .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom