C36 non starter - Failed headgasket ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
great news any pictures and how is she to drive was it worth it and the time and money

When I have more time on my hands i'll create a "how to" step by step document with pictures, although I still don't consider myself to be an authority on the C36 AMG. I relied on the knowledge gleened from fforums and websites such as this.

Was it worth the hassle ?, definately yes !, I opted to change the head myself rather than buy a replacement engine because I wanted some "hands on" experience, plus an replacement engine will eventually need a head gasket replacement at some point so why not bite the bullet now ?.

Cost wise I estimate abou 4-500, that inculdes the cost of tools, engine crane, gasket, bolts, fluids e.t.c. I'll check the receipts for a proper idea.

The acceleration is awesome, it revs freely and gearchanges are smooth, on the down side the exhaust sounds tame http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/Digiman01/HF2_C36/?action=view&current=c36amg_exhaust_note.mp4 I was expecting it to be a deep bassy burble .

Anyway thats the least of my worries, I need new discs and pads due to the one's on the car having corrsion, also the speedo and fuel guage do not work., I'll attend to these over winter.

It'll be going under wraps for winter at the end of the month.

Last edited:
its possible number 6 usally buy an MB head gasket not that dear u dont need head bolts poss a U seal all other parts are rubber and last for ever but if hard change them

I've looked through this thread and I can't seem to tell if you've set the timing to AMG's spec or the 280?

My friend's just received the timing instructions direct from AMG and he thinks they look a mile out and he's worried about ruining the engine?

Please post a copy of the instructions AMG sent to your friend and a photograph of his set-up.

Cheers, Oz!

I've looked through this thread and I can't seem to tell if you've set the timing to AMG's spec or the 280?

My friend's just received the timing instructions direct from AMG and he thinks they look a mile out and he's worried about ruining the engine?

sweetpea

I searched but could not find any instructions specific to the C36 so I decided to use the instructions posted here:PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum - View Single Post - M104 AMG Engine - Timing set-up procedure
, OzC36 settled for those settings in the end.

Despite using those settings it was not all ok in my case, there was still a terrible rattle when the revs hit 2k, the only way I could get rid of the rattle was to disconnect the electrical connector to the variable valve timing device, I have left it this way till I find a better solution. My head was also skimmed which may have contributed to the problem.

I would be interested in obtaning a copy of the instructions which AMG sent your friend in order to make a comparison.

I'm going to his today, so I'll see if I can get a copy and put it on to the forum.

One things for sure, the timing is definitely not the same as a C280.

Yeah, I get a slight momentary buzz-saw noise around 2000 RPM when it is cold as well. When warm the noise is not apparent.

So I am still very interested in this subject. :)

I've not done much with it, I've left the electrical connector to the vvt device disconnected and it seems ok. Apart from the engine occasionally sounding like a diesel on tickover , it runs fine.

I'm going to his today, so I'll see if I can get a copy and put it on to the forum.

One things for sure, the timing is definitely not the same as a C280.

I look forward to seeing the correct settings.

I look forward to seeing the correct settings.

He's not done it yet!:rolleyes:

The timing marks from AMG look to be miles out, but having said that, that engine was highly tuned so the marks could/should be right.

He's crapping himself doing it because he's scared that as soon as the variable timing kicks in at iirc 2,200 rpm the engine is going to go bang.

He's not done it yet!:rolleyes:

The timing marks from AMG look to be miles out, but having said that, that engine was highly tuned so the marks could/should be right.

He's crapping himself doing it because he's scared that as soon as the variable timing kicks in at iirc 2,200 rpm the engine is going to go bang.

Maybe disconnecting the electrical connection to the vvt might help prevent that. In my case, with the device activated, I kept getting a horrible metallic sound from 2000 rpm onwards, I also suspect that some kind of safeguard kicks in at this point because I noticed the when the noise starts if i keep pressing on the pedal to increase the revs, the limiter kicks in and drops the revs to just below 2000.

With the vvt device disconnected I can rev it through out the range (whilst drving it of course) .

Maybe disconnecting the electrical connection to the vvt might help prevent that. In my case, with the device activated, I kept getting a horrible metallic sound from 2000 rpm onwards, I also suspect that some kind of safeguard kicks in at this point because I noticed the when the noise starts if i keep pressing on the pedal to increase the revs, the limiter kicks in and drops the revs to just below 2000.

With the vvt device disconnected I can rev it through out the range (whilst drving it of course) .
I keep getting on at him to join the forum because there is very little he doesn't know (or can't find out) about Mercedes.

He's a lot lot more mechanically minded than me and he would be able to tell you more in-depth details on the C36, the problem with me posting these bits is that it's second hand information.

What the latest news on your project

I have left it as it is With the vvt device disconnected I can rev it through out the range.

It's driveable so I'll leave it for the meantime.

Did you ever sort out the VVT problem, HF2?

I have not resolved it. I've just be running the engine with the elctrical supply disconnected.

I have not resolved it. I've just be running the engine with the elctrical supply disconnected.

I bought my friends C36 and am now restoring it and I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms as what you've described (the grinding noise at 2k rpm when the vvt is plugged in).

I will find out how to remedy it, even if it costs me a few quid and as soon as I do I'll let you know all of the details.

I bought my friends C36 and am now restoring it and I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms as what you've described (the grinding noise at 2k rpm when the vvt is plugged in).

I will find out how to remedy it, even if it costs me a few quid and as soon as I do I'll let you know all of the details.

Did you have the head skimmed by any chance ?.

Did you have the head skimmed by any chance ?.

No, but it has been removed and polished.

Hopefully we should be more the wiser tomorrow as to what's causing this problem, I'm 99% sure that it is timing-mark related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom