C36 On E-Bay - My old car has lost 60,000 Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rees_A

Banned
Car
CLK55 AMG
My old car has just sold on ebay. It was written off by the insurance co and now has only done 81000 miles. When I had it it had 140000. I have all the mots to proove. Also, It looks like the salvage co are selling it or at least a co in the same area......

Hi

Go on give us a linky.

Naughty naughty!

I think you should keep the details to yourself and take it up through the correct channels. I am guessing the Police should show some interest?

Report them to the police not least because some poor punter is possibly about to get ripped off.

If you don't, now you have posted this on a public forum you are aware of a crime but have (as yet) not reported it. You could end up in a spot of bother yourself if/when the new owner decides to do some checking. Cover yourself.

Last edited:
I have already tried to make contact with the seller and will cal ins co tomorrow to ask why they are selling my old car with 60000 less miles on it than when they bought it off me for scrap....

Oh dear-Winning bid: £4,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: 07-Jan-07 15:42:07 GMT
Some poor sod is now £4K worse off-....

reflexboy said:
Oh dear-Winning bid: £4,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: 07-Jan-07 15:42:07 GMT
Some poor sod is now £4K worse off-....

Rees needs to notify ebay so they can warn the buyer.

Rees,

Did you realise that if you go on Ebay and click on the winners ID you can send them a message?

I contacted the seller but got no reply, suprise :rolleyes:

Just sent a note to e-bay - they won't do anything with it as the auction has finished. Called insurance co, they said the salvage yard sold the car on so is not there responsibility, I tried contacting the buyer but ebay say my mail won't be sent as I am not in a transaction with him. Calling trading standards but the phone is not being answered. This is really difficult. Looks like the guy whos buying it may get stitched up as I'm not going to be able to contact him in time to warn him!!!!!

How about trying the Police. They will surely be able to take it forward.

KLP92, do you have the guys address? I have tried getting onto crimestoppers who aren't interested, I've also got through to trading standards who will let me leave a message that will be answered in 24 hours...... I'm going to try my local police station but it would help if I have the sellers address

the guy that bought your car looks like he may be a trader

you can contact him via an item he is selling - try a search for 260067428041

check your PM for his phone number

HTH

Andy

rees_A said:
KLP92, do you have the guys address? I have tried getting onto crimestoppers who aren't interested, I've also got through to trading standards who will let me leave a message that will be answered in 24 hours...... I'm going to try my local police station but it would help if I have the sellers address

I don't have the number as its over a year ago now. I'll have a look on my old computer to see if its in the archive emails. Its a proper backstreet ally type of bodyshop.

I've emailed the highest bidder, got through ok.

Just called him and he's already bought the car and is driving it home as I type. He suggested meeting up with him later to give him service history / mots etc as he lives local to me. He said he will then report the seller to trading standards....Do you guys think it will be ok to meet him and hand over the docs?

He'll either report him or destroy the documentation to show his car has done a higher mileage.

rees_A said:
Do you guys think it will be ok to meet him and hand over the docs?
I think you have behaved honourably. You could always involve trading standards, but top marks for what you have done.

Stats007 is right on with what he says, but that is down to the new owner.

Well done,
Regards,
John

It's not your car any more so what use is the documentation to you?

You can either do the right thing or trust him to do it.

This is why I favour and use the optional mileage entry on DLVA forms, for tax discs etc. If more mileage records were mandatory the chances of the history being completely erased is rare. Why not have the last recoreded mileage printed on the tax disk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom