C36 VVT Issues, Advice Greatly Received.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Right, I'll start from the top...

On this C36 we set the camshaft timing with the exhaust camshaft timing marks 4mm clockwise and the inlet camshaft 2mm clockwise from the C280 marks.

On the exhaust camshaft we located the pulley using the dowel hole in the pulley marked with a 'U' by AMG.

The car then started up just fine, took it for a little run and it was like sh!t of a hot shovel, then parked the car up. Barely a minute later I've gone to set off and the engine has cut out, we thought it had run out of petrol so I stuck three gallon in and it still wouldn't start. Turned out to be the wiring loom for the ignition coils pack, which we repaired and she became alive once more...

And this is where the fun is just starting; when the car is revved to roughly 2k rpm there is a horrible metallic ticking noise (I'll upload the video from my other thread) which stops when you unplug the camshaft adjuster. The noise appears to be coming from below ports 5 & 6 on the inlet manifold.

We've too the head back off and everything looks fine, the timing marks are still in line etc.

Also, at what revs should the VVT kick in?

And what activates the VVT magnet, the earth or positive?

A similar topic was covered in some detail in another thread

Nick Froome

A similar topic was covered in some detail in another thread

Nick Froome

Thanks Nick, I found that thread but the OP simply disconnected the VVT which sort of defeats the object of restoring this C36.

IIRC it's about the piston-valve clearance of AMG 3.6 engines vs standard ones, different VVT settings & etc. I think the consensus was that certain AMG & standard parts are not interchangeable

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom