c36 where to buy a head gasket kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El Donkey

Car
C200 Sport 99, C320 sport 08, TVR chimaera, KTM 690
I have a c36 which I purchased with a suspected head gasket leak.

Plan to do this job but need to buy a head gasket and any other seals I will require. Where should I get these from?

I hope to get the head off and back on in a long weekend.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks Rob

Mercedes-Benz will supply you with all the parts you need :)

I prefer to use genuine gaskets for these engines. The c36 has a special head gasket that can only come from Mercedes, iirc it's about £103 now. All the other gaskets are standard m104.

I'll see if I can dig out the part number for the c36 head gasket.

Edit: the c36 gasket is part number: HWA 104 016 01 20

Last edited:
Thanks very much.

Are there any other parts I am likely to require?

Hopefully it will just be the gasket and not require anything further, the car has done 117k and does have good service history.

If your going to keep the car, I would change the valve stem seals while the head is off.

If your going to keep the car, I would change the valve stem seals while the head is off.

I'm not sure how long I will keep the car but I like them to be right.

I've not done this job before but assume once the head is off its a case of removing the cams, shims, buckets, springs etc.

Any special tools required?

Estimate of how long to complete?

Thanks Rob

I'm not sure how long I will keep the car but I like them to be right.

I've not done this job before but assume once the head is off its a case of removing the cams, shims, buckets, springs etc.

Any special tools required?

Estimate of how long to complete?

Thanks Rob

No special tools needed, but you must use a long reach sping compressor.

If your just changing the seals it takes me about an hour and a half, if you want to re-lap the valves while your there it could take 4 hours.

You cant use the old "valve stem in the drill chuck" trick with this head.;)

No special tools needed, but you must use a long reach sping compressor.

If your just changing the seals it takes me about an hour and a half, if you want to re-lap the valves while your there it could take 4 hours.

You cant use the old "valve stem in the drill chuck" trick with this head.;)

Thanks,

I have a set of the stick and sucker type with pastes if they are still in good condition. They were my old mans.

So would this spring compressor be up to the job do you think?

Valve Spring Compressor Compression Clamp CHT462 Clarke 1801462 GO NEXTDAY £3.99 | eBay

So that would be a head gasket, cam cover gasket and stem seals I'd need from Mercedes?

I assume I can set to TDC then mark the cam positions with some paint? I gather setting up the timing after has caused a few some issues.

I take it that a gasket change is usually all that is required and not skimming.

Cheers,

Rob

Cheers Rob

You really need to get the written instructions for this job, as there are some very important points to note:

Hollow cams can break if you do not understand the timing chain tensioner
on Mercs.

The front pin holding the timing chain guide needs special treatment to get off.

The U-seal between lower and upper timing chain covers needs to be replaced
and needs to be understood, to avoid a big oil leak after assembly.

Etc etc etc

We have has forum posts stretching weeks after attempts to replace these gaskets without knowledge.

Good advice !.

Thanks, I will print of these threads and those linked. I have a copy of the Mercedes workshop manual but have not read yet. Iwas told it covers the c36 but need to put some coal in my old XP computer to run it.
Think I will get the head off then see what parts to order.

Is the Haynes manual any benefit if have the merc disk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom