C43 AMG beats two C63s AMGs in drag race?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
None of them look like they're moving terribly quickly, but in a short drag race on anything other than bone dry asphalt, then the 4-matic of the C43 will make a tremendous difference, and in that case it appears to have done exactly that. The 43 engined cars are quick.

None of them look like they're moving terribly quickly, but in a short drag race on anything other than bone dry asphalt, then the 4-matic of the C43 will make a tremendous difference, and in that case it appears to have done exactly that. The 43 engined cars are quick.

Not sure that all C63 owners will agree. But I suppose if you have around £15,000 more to spend on a car that is often slower than it's nearest stable mate then why not!! At least it sounds good.............. Suspect the C43 would come out on top around the twisty bits as well.

Last edited:
I agree with Bobby Dazzler on this one. - The AWD system will do a better job of putting the power down off the line, but ultimately it would get reeled in and overtaken by the C63 (even if they had the same power, the loss through the transmission is higher).
None of the cars in the video launched particularly hard; certainly not using launch control.

I've seen this at Ten of the Best. - Small AWD cars shoot off the line, but something like a Skyline will ultimately have a higher top speed and win... once they've got moving.

Not sure that all C63 owners will agree. But I suppose if you have around £15,000 more to spend on a car that is often slower than it's nearest stable mate then why not!! At least it sounds good.............. Suspect the C43 would come out on top around the twisty bits as well.

Once traction from the line is no longer the determining factor, the C63S will get the upper hand. But in every day driving, you can probably launch from standstill far more frequently than accelerate hard at three figure speeds.

I agree with Bobby Dazzler on this one. - The AWD system will do a better job of putting the power down off the line, but ultimately it would get reeled in and overtaken by the C63 (even if they had the same power, the loss through the transmission is higher).
None of the cars in the video launched particularly hard; certainly not using launch control.

I've seen this at Ten of the Best. - Small AWD cars shoot off the line, but something like a Skyline will ultimately have a higher top speed and win... once they've got moving.

That may well be the case but by the time the C63 catches up with the C43 I suspect they will both be doing around 120MPH but normally speed only matters from 0-60MPH to most keen drivers as most of the time much greater speeds are unachievable on public roads.

I'm not even going to watch the video my 2007 s3 will beat my 750hp e63 and my c63s off the line with ease aswell

Not unexpected

None of them particularly look like they know what they're doing how boring was that! Speed is king, it's nice to get off the line first but a quick shot down Santa pod raceway would put the C43 in its place

:fail

None of them particularly look like they know what they're doing how boring was that! Speed is king, it's nice to get off the line first but a quick shot down Santa pod raceway would put the C43 in its place
Yes. I think that if the C63 was launched hard on a dry (possibly prepared) surface, there's be no debate. - I suspect that all three cars still had the ESP on, and experience tells me that my car will just cut the power when I stomp the go pedal with ESP still on.

Let's face it; you don't see any AWD top-fuel drag cars do you? Conversely, you don't see many 2WD cars winning WRC events.

Before opening the video I thought it was going to be a proper C43 to show the old vs the new

Is this actually a consequence of MB not being able to engineer 4matic for RHD vehicles historically?

I guess it's an anomaly of RHD models being RWD only.

There isn't much that hangs on to a 4matic E63s and the reality is it's only the traditional torque converter transmission that stops it being faster.

Real world the C43 is a fast car. Our SL400 feels much faster than the numbers suggest with pretty much the same basic engine, so much so it actually made the SL500 effectively redundant.

Yawn, not once the C43 is on all season tyres to resolve the crabbing issues......:rolleyes:

RR

Do MB World have a C43 on the AMG experience fleet yet?

Be interesting to hear what the instructors think of the C43 vs C63 (S) debate on the handling track down there.

RR

We've just got a new C63. Yes, like the E63 is struggles for traction but, when it hooks up at around 50mph , it will reel in the 43 and blast past it.

However in the real world and greasy UK roads, the 43 will be quicker off the mark and by the time the 63 catches it , both will be into serious 3 figure licence losing speeds.

However in the real world and greasy UK roads, the 43 will be quicker off the mark and by the time the 63 catches it , both will be into serious 3 figure licence losing speeds.

With ever increasing penalties for speeding and more and more resources being poured into catching speeders I increasingly find myself wondering why I'm looking at cars with north of 450hp for pottering around in.

I've never considered attending top speed events on airfields or trackdays but they are becoming more appealing now that the ability to use anywhere near the cars performance in the real world is being stifled.

That said, I've got a 4.0 V8 TT arriving later this month and I still have an unhealthy obsession with Ferrari FF's.

Last edited:
Yawn, not once the C43 is on all season tyres to resolve the crabbing issues......:rolleyes:

RR

Regardless of tyres my point still stands. As for the crabbing issue suggest you retune into that post around October time....

Last edited:
With ever increasing penalties for speeding and more and more resources being poured into catching speeders I increasingly find myself wondering why I'm looking at cars with north of 450hp for pottering around in.

I've never considered attending top speed events on airfields or trackdays but they are becoming more appealing now that the ability to use anywhere near the cars performance in the real world is being stifled.

That said, I've got a 4.0 V8 TT arriving later this month and I still have an unhealthy obsession with Ferrari FF's.

Over the last 18 months I've come to this conclusion too, it started with my R172 SLK55 being just too fast on the country roads where I wanted to use it, this led me to buy a Lotus Elise S which filled the brief of feeling quick and engaging at up to and around the national speed limit.....

Unfortunately I slipped back into my old ways and I chopped the SLK in for a 4.0TT V8 C63 which is definitely a license losing car!

Anyway the Lotus was too raw and it's gone too, and I've bought a Porsche Boxster 981, one of the last F6s, only 265 Hp and NA (which I love) and it does just about everything, revs, makes a great noise, handles brilliantly and all in a roadster body...

I'm sure I'll get hassle from the hot hatch crew, but guess what I don't care when I'm out in the Dales or North Pennines I have a wide smile on my face and I'm not worrying about speed cameras.

You really don't need 400hp plus to enjoy a good drive on some of our best roads.......

RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom