C43 AMG- Is this noise normal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vissim34

Car
C43 AMG
Got a C43 AMG saloon about 6 weeks ago, new from dealer as a factory order and love it. Couple of gripes compared to the Jag XF I had previously eg. doors need to be pushed with a bit of force to close them whereas seemed to almost just do a light tough with the Jag and the button to close seems to have a mind of its own as to whether it recognises that I have my finger over it but minor points. One thing I do need input to please from any forum members is when I reverse from our drive I've noticed if turning the wheels you can feel the front wheels almost vibrating against the ground-Hard to describe. Fine if reverse straight. I'm sure nothing wrong with the steering column etc etc so wondered if it's just a symptom of lowerish profile tyres or something I need to contact the dealer about. Just don't want to have to take it in to them if it turns out it's just one of those things. Apologies if dumb question.

The wheel judder will be transmission wind up from the 4WD system.

I've seen a couple of comments about it in magazine reviews when manoeuvreing at slow speed. It's a fundamental design issue.

ah..that explains it. Greatly appreciate the fast response.

I have a C200 (none 4matic version) with 19" summer wheels and 18" winter wheels and my car also does this. On my car its most prominent at full lock on surfaces that are uneven, or wet painted car park surfaces, it feels like the front wheels are being pulled along sideways rather than rolling I think.

I would say its likely due to the reduced surface contact of the front wheels, the tyre contact area is very small at low speed with even a small amount of steering lock on most Merc's I find, probably why they steer a bit better when pushed hard into corners.

I had 4 wheel alignment done when I put the winter boots (Nokian WR A4 tyres on 18" rim) on this month as it was quite a way out on all 4 wheels, and I feel that it does it less, maybe its the softer compound in tyres helping also.

Last edited:
Oh, with regards to the 'button' recess, are you wanting to close the windows/sunroof or just lock the car? I only put my finger and hold it on the button area when I want to close the windows or the sunroof, it seems to be much more reliable just to brush the out side of the handle with the back of my fingers to lock the car.

GLC 250d Wheel Judder

I have a 6 month old GLC 250d AMG on 20" wheels with the same problem :(

Feels like driving a Tractor when reversing or driving forward with full-lock, the car jumps and judders - not what I had expected from a £46k Mercedes.

The dealer has suggested fitting Winter Tyres - any recommendations or ideas for 20" tyre options would be appreciated?

Thank you

GLC wheels juddering / knocking noise

.. when I reverse from our drive I've noticed if turning the wheels you can feel the front wheels almost vibrating against the ground-Hard to describe.

Has the problem with the wheels juddering / knocking been sorted out?

Is it worse in the cold damp weather?

Have you discussed it with the dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom