C43 AMG outer sill replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabvw

Car
W210 E55 AMG
Hi

I'm in the process of changing the rusty outer sills on my C43 AMG, there in a bad state and one of the jacking points has been welded up. I was wondering if anybody can help guide me into

1, Replacement parts that I need
2, Cost of the repair panels
3, Labour to get the repair done

I've seen the C43AMG's thread about his sill replacement and this is the same work required on mine.

Trying to keep the old girl on the road to see another day!!

Cheers for your help in advance. :thumb:

Cabvw

Repair panel from MB is somewhere in the region of £300ish, if yours is removed as the sill is provided then you will need to have the door shuts repainted including the base of the "B" pillar, the Front wing will need to be removed, which normally means repolacing it as it will be rusty another £160 plus paint.
I did this on mine and the paint alone was £400, If I did this again I think I would just patch the outer sill as it doesnt really matter what it looks like as it is covered by the side skirt, but do ensure the closing points at the ends of the outer sill are not rotten and as you have had some jacking points welded in the past do ensure your inner sill and floor pan in that area is ok.
I take it you were refering to my thread in the Project section of the forum regarding 202's rust and myouter sill/Jacking point replacement?

Yes Andy, Thanks for the reply. Its seems some bits of the passenger side floor pan need a bit of welding.....excatly the same as your thread. Should i patch i it in your opinion as the damage is excatly the seam as yours and the inner sills look in good condition?

Depends if the car is a keeper, as the labour to weld in the proper repair sill is expensive as it includes sections of the door shuts and B piller, and to finish this off to a decent standard suitable for painting can be really expensive.
If you can get away with it I would look at just inserting patches into rusty sill, as this will negate the need for painting or at the very least limit it.

Thanks. I'll get these inspected first to see if it can be done.

I'm having to do exactly the same on my C43. Mostly the rust is at the driver side front jacking point but it does extend into a hole in the floor. I'm saving a pile by removing all the carpets and soundproofing myself. Hopefully won't need whole new sill, but will need new bracket welding in (the bit that goes between the jacking point base and the A pillar. It will be a keeper, I've long since passed the point of 'cost more than it's worth'.
IMG_0583.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get it inspected this weekend and I'll report back the findings. I got the car for a good price so there is money in the kitty for the repairs. P's it has a recon gearbox all done and the engine is so quiet!!! It's so quick for a small car!!

I look at the C43 and think, 'This is a lot less of a problem than my old MGB!' and that was worth every penny I spent in terms of satisfaction and just being able to enjoy the car. Seems most C43 owners on here have had to take some pain and chuck lots of hard-earned at their car, all seem to be smiling once they've had the work done though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom