Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
Given by how much one of these beasts can now be picked up for, around the 3k to 4k mark.. Ive started to get very restless about it.

Any C43 owners would like to share their experiences of owning one? Usual things would be nice to know like maintanence, common rust issues, build quality and driveability. Going by the price of petrol and the cars mpg figures, you probably think im mad, but if I ever wanted to own one of these, I guess the time would be now?

For comments on rust, see any thread about w202 bodywork!

Most important thing to consider apart from rust is the C43s gearbox.

I don't agree with the gearbox issues C43's are supposed to have.

Engines are bullet proof. The main issue is rust.

+1^

I also don't agree with the gearbox issues. As long as the oil and filter are changed on a regular basis and you let the engine and gearbox warm up properly before you give it some stick, then they should be fine.
As said if you keep on top of the rust issues and regularly clean the car properly, then you will have no problems with W202's.
Go to your local dealer and get them to print off a warranty history on your C43, you will find that hardly any or no warranty work would have been carried out, and Recalls. Due to the quality

Then look at a warranty history of a new'ish Merc, massive list of jobs done :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In my experience - gearbox was the big one. Mine blew around 110k miles.

There've been enough C43s advertised with new or refurbed 'boxes to know that it's a common issue. But judging by others on here, many are also on their original 'boxes, so just be aware it could be an issue in the future. Changing fluids may well be a good preventative measure, but I don't think a gearbox fluid change is in the maintainance schedule, meaning many won't have had it done until the car is older or in enthusiast ownership anyway.

Rust is the other thing - mine wasn't too bad but watch out for jacking points and underneath side skirts + rear bootlock area.

Other issues are oil leaks around oil cooler, and crank position sensor probs (common to lots of Mercs though and inexpensive to replace).

MPG surprisingly ok - it's a big engine in a medium-sized car so it doesn't have to work too hard.

my C36 had the gearbox replaced also, ive known of a few c43 boxes going, i agree if maintained from day one it will last, but if your buying 2nd hand, you will never know how well its been looked after\driven!

lower ball joints , MAF sensors, worn shocks are probably the other things to look out for, plenty of info on the forum as has been discussed many times

If you buy one for 3k it will need plenty of work I assure you. Suspension and body mainly.

If you spend a little more you can have a very nice example. 5-7k

But it will be a early 203 and it WILL be problematic.

Or you can have Jacks C55 202 for £6k and its has no rust and needs nothing. It will quite hapily blow away a 203 C55 for some strange reason!

^^lol also there the birds supercharged one on ebay for £6K now!

But it will be a early 203 and it WILL be problematic.

Or you can have Jacks C55 202 for £6k and its has no rust and needs nothing. It will quite hapily blow away a 203 C55 for some strange reason!

Hi
Olly, has Jacks been given the Renntech treatment?
Regarding the 43 gearbox, I have to agree with Olly, my car had done 120,000 miles before it had any sort of gearbox maintenance, when Olly did a full fluid and filter change for me the car then covered another 30,000 miles at which point I had the CLK 55 engine fitted, as part of this the gearbox and torque convertor were refurbished, for no other reason than I thought it wise to because of the additional torque and hosepower of the 55 engine. When the gearbox was disassembled it was found to be worn but only in keeping with the miles the car had covered.
There is no more reason for the 43 box to fail than any other electronic 5 speed box from this era of MB's, other than it is in an AMG.

Thanks guys for all the input, I appreciate it.

In hindsight, the rust issue is not really that bad then, pretty much the same as a W124 but not as bad as a W210, am I right? Bought from an enthusiast, it should be really well looked after (he hopes!).

The ones currently going for sale right now are are the 3-4k ones, they all happen to be silver too! This is another dilemma, silver does look nice but probably would prefer black.

Ok the gearbox subject is ringing alarm bells in my head, I know that will be a big £££ job if it does ever go.

The other thing I have to keep in mind is the insurance on one of these. I did some research and I can just about stretch it to an original C43, but having one with a modified engine (like Jacks, Andy's or that Birds S/C one) will be a big no no (for now anyway).

As far as maintanence is concerned, well any MB which falls into my hands will always be well and truely looked after, just like my W124.

What have you guys managed to get out of the car in terms of MPG? Ive had a look at other forums as well and it seems the figures range from 11-18 city driving and 22-25 highway driving. Then again, majority of these lot have lead foots!

How reliable are these M113 engines?

If your worried about economy dont buy a V8 AMG. They are not bad on fuel TBH.

Remeber to budget for repairs. A 3k car will need plenty of work I assure you.

The 113 is bullet proof.

If your worried about economy dont buy a V8 AMG. They are not bad on fuel TBH.

Remeber to budget for repairs. A 3k car will need plenty of work I assure you.

The 113 is bullet proof.
There has never been a better time to buy a C43 surely? Used car values are in the toilet at the moment and for the money you will struggle to buy something as reliable, quick, practical, comfortable, well optioned and I guess for the performance as economical. It's basically a standard 202 sport with a big engine, big brakes, big exhaust and stiffer suspension. There are no exotic materials or non-production items in it. The brakes are derived from the SL500, the gearbox from the S600, the engine is an older, proven 24v unit which per litre isn't the greatest output meaning it's not under much stress. Servicing is just normal oil and filters etc.

It's the very reasoning that ended with me buying a 208 CLK55 about a year ago!

Biggest enemy is bodywork rust and ultimately any bodyshop could fix this, it's their bread and butter. Budget a few hundred to get any bodywork done and you've got a four-door rocket there for not a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom