Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where are all the decent ones for sale? I just keep coming across all the silver ones on ebay and pistonheads :(

I was asking about the mpg stuff purely out of interest as its nice to know what can be achieved in this car. My 124 isnt the best when it comes to mpg either, lead foot driving will get it down to mid teens, feathered I can get low 30's on the motorway.

This is really exciting stuff, my first genuine AMG V8! :)

Where are all the decent ones for sale? I just keep coming across all the silver ones on ebay and pistonheads :(
I ended up with a silver CLK, almost no choice really as it came down to history/price/condition
I was asking about the mpg stuff purely out of interest as its nice to know what can be achieved in this car. My 124 isnt the best when it comes to mpg either, lead foot driving will get it down to mid teens, feathered I can get low 30's on the motorway.
My overall average for the 55 is about 26mpg I think but I tend to tootle unless I know I can scream it all the way. You'll struggle to bust 20mpg driving around town and on the motorway after 30-40 minutes of cruising 30mpg+ is achievable.
This is really exciting stuff, my first genuine AMG V8! :)
It's a major grinner, every time you drive it.

The search is on! It might just end up being a silver one though.

Get one that's right and it'll be the best car you've ever owned. Even though mine cost me £££ I miss it more than any other car I've had including C55 W203, Boxster S, R32 etc. It's got rarity value and bags of character. All of it wrapped up in a tastefully understated and anonymous package. What's not to like?:dk:

Just look for an enthusiast owned example.

Great to see you are about to take the AMG plunge Niks. You wont regret it. Every journey is special. Have to say that Spcialeffects car looks very nice......

Thanks Tom, Olly, Jack, Andy and Peter are the culprits on this one, after seeing their's and hearing that V8 soundtrack...it got me hooked! lol.

I figured if I am ever going to own an AMG car, it has to be a V8. The only thing im slightly concerned about is, if I grow very accustomed to a V8's power and sound, I wont want to drive anything else!

If your worried about economy dont buy a V8 AMG. They are not bad on fuel TBH.

Remeber to budget for repairs. A 3k car will need plenty of work I assure you.

The 113 is bullet proof.

I agree with olly, i bought mine just over a year ago for cheap money, its on v-car but they where going for 5k+ at the time.

In the time i have owned it i had to replace the gearbox and t/c, the idler pulley,the auto tensioner pulley,crankshaft pulley and belt, ball joints ,etc.

There is no such thing as a cheap AMG. You get what you pay for.

moudi.

Hi,
Good luck in your search for your 43.
In retrospect if I was to buy another, the most important things to look for is rust as others have said please check all round where the side skirts fit to the body as I have just found out to my cost they rust for a pastime behind the skirts and the skirts hide it all very well, the outer sill on my N/S Is shot and as the outer sill incorporates both front and rear jacking points the replacement sill from MB is over 300 plus VAT, and to replace properly you will need to remove the front wing on that side and both the doors, as well as the front and rear carpets, which require the removal of both front seats and centre console.

Hi,
Good luck in your search for your 43.
In retrospect if I was to buy another, the most important things to look for is rust as others have said please check all round where the side skirts fit to the body as I have just found out to my cost they rust for a pastime behind the skirts and the skirts hide it all very well, the outer sill on my N/S Is shot and as the outer sill incorporates both front and rear jacking points the replacement sill from MB is over 300 plus VAT, and to replace properly you will need to remove the front wing on that side and both the doors, as well as the front and rear carpets, which require the removal of both front seats and centre console.

Not good Andy :( as you say under the skirts can hide alot of rust.
I have just sorted my C43 sill out, had to get a couple of small plates welded in. Then it all painted etc, i will put some pictures up when i get a chance :thumb:

I had some paintwork to my c36 w202 and had to remove both sill cover to paint them

The sill to the rear of covers were like new (no rust)

Last edited:
There has never been a better time to buy a C43 surely? Used car values are in the toilet at the moment and for the money you will struggle to buy something as reliable, quick, practical, comfortable, well optioned and I guess for the performance as economical. It's basically a standard 202 sport with a big engine, big brakes, big exhaust and stiffer suspension. There are no exotic materials or non-production items in it. The brakes are derived from the SL500, the gearbox from the S600, the engine is an older, proven 24v unit which per litre isn't the greatest output meaning it's not under much stress. Servicing is just normal oil and filters etc.

It's the very reasoning that ended with me buying a 208 CLK55 about a year ago!

Biggest enemy is bodywork rust and ultimately any bodyshop could fix this, it's their bread and butter. Budget a few hundred to get any bodywork done and you've got a four-door rocket there for not a lot of money.

SHude, dont want to be disrespectval but the comment any bodyshop should sort MB rust problems makes me think, and with members on here
having had nitemares with work carried out by your so called bodyshop
about it returning most hast :eek:

I have just found out to my cost they rust for a pastime behind the skirts and the skirts hide it all very well, the outer sill on my N/S Is shot and as the outer sill incorporates both front and rear jacking points the replacement sill from MB is over 300 plus VAT, and to replace properly you will need to remove the front wing on that side and both the doors, as well as the front and rear carpets, which require the removal of both front seats and centre console.

I know a man who has some sills:eek:

Time for to sort the bodywork out on your 43?

Have you seen the photos of Howards on FB?

I did,nt realise that was Howards Nick, is that the company you told me about at Ollies meet?
Are the sills gen MB? There being done at the moment, the N/S sill he's already managed to get as a pattern item but his supplier has said that the O/S one has been out of stock for well over a year and is not likely to be supplied any longer as the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. I,m also replacing the N/S wing as well, you don,t happen to have any new 202 wings Nic? With side repeater holes?

After the horrors of my W202 when I removed the sideskirt, I would recommend anyone looking at a new one to check them thoroughly

Not good Andy :( as you say under the skirts can hide alot of rust.
I have just sorted my C43 sill out, had to get a couple of small plates welded in. Then it all painted etc, i will put some pictures up when i get a chance :thumb:

Hi,
The drivers side he says can be repaired, either cutting away the rust and welding in new 3 possibly 4 inserts needed or he could do it cheaper by just patching it which would be cheaper and as the side skirt covers it would be good enough, but as I intend to keep the car long term, I,m inclined to either get it inserted or replace the whole thing as i don,t want to be doing this again in a hurry, fed up with removing the Interiors from 202s.
I,m using Paul Baker Custom body work and coach builder as recommended by a member on here (cheers Matt if you read this) any one Interested do a Google for his website I think you would be impressed with his work, I would post a link but not sure how to on my HTC.

I had some paintwork to my c36 w202 and had to remove both sill cover to paint them

The sill to the rear of covers were like new (no rust)

Yes but what about the front part of the sills? Where the jacking point goes through the sill? That's where mine have gone.

Yep.

Yep.

Nope, only without holes - which is what you need anyway given your mirrors.

Have you got a pair of them? Thought you only had one for some reason.

Do you know if he will split them as I only need the drivers side now, depending on whether i decide to repair or replace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom