C43 big engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frostbite

Car
C43 AMG, 96 Jeep Cherokee 2.5, Triumph Explorer and Thruxton
I have a 5.4 M113.98 (NA) AMG lump on a stand that will, after some refurbishment, eventually go into my C43. Whilst it's not in a car and for the sheer hell of it, I wonder what would be the benefit (or otherwise) of:

a) having the flywheel lightened and/or
b) taking it out to say, 5.8 litres (if there is actually enough metal left beyond the 5.4)?

Hmm? Anyone done anything similar with either good or bad results?

Last edited:
Unless your running a manual gearbox, there is no flywheel to lighten.

5.8 can be done as per the Brabus version's, but be prepared to spend big money.

Your money would be better spent on a supercharger setup.

I have top notch suspension (Bilstein and H+R) and there's an LSD to go in in the next few months. I'll have to speak to Crewe Engines to see about a bigger bore.. The cost will be the boring, and then new pistons, rings, bearings, seals etc. I'll do the spannering myself, that's half the fun. A S/C set up would be fun, but wouldn't I need to reduce the comp ratio by some internal work anyway. Then I'd face the custom work to try and shoe-horn all the cooling gear in. I like the simplicity of bigger displacement and possibly less engine stress along with standard appearance?
Now someone will tell me I'd need a custom rad anyway....

Last edited:
I have top notch suspension (Bilstein and H+R) and there's an LSD to go in in the next few months. I'll have to speak to Crewe Engines to see about a bigger bore.. The cost will be the boring, and then new pistons, rings, bearings, seals etc. I'll do the spannering myself, that's half the fun. A S/C set up would be fun, but wouldn't I need to reduce the comp ratio by some internal work anyway. Then I'd face the custom work to try and shoe-horn all the cooling gear in. I like the simplicity of bigger displacement and possibly less engine stress along with standard appearance?
Now someone will tell me I'd need a custom rad anyway....

You've fitted shocks and springs, but you've still got adjustable top mounts, anti roll bars, camber arms, adjustable rear lower arms, strutt and cradle brace bars, ect. It all makes a difference.

Remember that if you want to make the most of the bigger capacity, you'll also want to look at a bigger throttle body or itb's, headwork and cams, tubular manifolds, cooling system. The list is big.

A supercharger setup can run quite well with the standard compression ratio, preferably with a charge cooler. But turbo's are a no go though.

Remember you'll want an aftermarket ecu to get the most out of whatever you do, even a larger capacity. So that's £2000 + just for that.

Brabus didn't touch bores in their 5.8 conversion, they increased the stroke. if you're going to bore more than a mm or two in the 55 block you will need a custom gasket. The gain in capacity with 1-2 more mm bores will have no noticeable impact on performance. If you're after more power, just super- or turbo charge it.

You've fitted shocks and springs, but you've still got adjustable top mounts, anti roll bars, camber arms, adjustable rear lower arms, strutt and cradle brace bars, ect. It all makes a difference.

Remember that if you want to make the most of the bigger capacity, you'll also want to look at a bigger throttle body or itb's, headwork and cams, tubular manifolds, cooling system. The list is big.

A supercharger setup can run quite well with the standard compression ratio, preferably with a charge cooler. But turbo's are a no go though.

Remember you'll want an aftermarket ecu to get the most out of whatever you do, even a larger capacity. So that's £2000 + just for that.

Oh, OK I have quite good notch suspension.
Well, after heeding all the above advice and wisdom, I'm leaning towards just plonking in the 5.4 with no more mods than a damn good clean, paint, new plugs etc and probably a remap. Just this very day had an exhaust with sports cats done by Imran at MSL/Torqueflow... Sounds like Smaug purring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom