C43 Bumpers / Wheel Arch Extenders / W202 rear light lens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

converse120

Car
C43 (sold a while back), mondeo currently
Hello everyone, just joined, first post.

Just bought my first MB, a 1999 C43, which I’m delighted with. I’ve got a few questions that I hope someone can answer; I’ve checked in the forums and can’t find obvious answers.

1. Bumpers. I’ve seen pictures of others’ C43s where the bumpers, and especially at the sides, seem to be a tighter fit to the rest of the body than mine. It’s possible to wobble them a fair bit. Question is – should there be any play and can I adjust them to bring the top of the bumper closer to the rest of the body? Would it be an easy DIY job?

2. Rear Light Cluster. I need a new one (driver’s side), as the current one has some damage. Local MB parts counter wants £82 for one. Any suggestions for alternatives?

3. I’ve got the rubbery wheel arch extenders, which I'm not personally very keen on. They seem to be stick-on, so should I remove them using the same method as I will for the badges – hairdryer, dental floss and Autoglym tar remover? My only doubt about this is the condition of the metal/paint underneath.

Other questions on different subjects to follow in due course, in the correct forums.

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

Welcome and congrats on your good choice of car ;). As for your questions,

1. My bumpers have no play in them at all, I'd check to see if they have worked themselves loose over time. I think there has recently been a HOW TO posted that describes the method to remove the rear bumpers

2. Mercman may be able to help you out:

E-Mail : [email protected]
Tel : 023 8078 4444
Fax: 023 8078 2444
url : http://www.mercman.net

3. I had mine removed by the dealer when I bought my car, IMHO ligher colour cars look better without these strips. As far as I recall they are only stuck on with glue so I presume the hairdryer technique will work although I couldn't say 100%. I do remember the dealer saying that it was a pig of a job though....

Hope that helps! Post some pics of your new toy :devil:

Congrats on purchase! the wheel arches are just stuck on! you removal methods should be fine.

converse120 said:
3. I’ve got the rubbery wheel arch extenders, which I'm not personally very keen on. They seem to be stick-on, so should I remove them using the same method as I will for the badges – hairdryer, dental floss and Autoglym tar remover? My only doubt about this is the condition of the metal/paint underneath.

Ian

Superb Purchase :D

I removed the rubber strips. Paintwork was fine underneath. They just peeled off without too much trouble and I used WD40 to remove the sticky crud left over. Tar aremover should do the job I imagine.

My bumper on the C43 was loose on the off side corner front, i got my bodywork man to have a look, it was the frame under the bumper that had cracked which he replaced. it is as firm as a rock now.Congrats on the C43.

As for the rubber arches because my car is Obsidian Black i have kept mine as they don't stick out, if yours is silver i can undestand why you want to take them off.

Last edited:
I have been trying to source the plastic wheel arch extensions used for years! If they come off in good condition, let me know what you want for them.

Everyone

Same as Graham

Wanted these for ages - if anyone has them lying around ??????

Chris

For Q2 here is a new drivers rear cluster on eBay for BIN £47 inc delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-C-Class-Rear-Light_W0QQitemZ4615854932QQcategoryZ10398QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7e_1_b.JPG

Personally though I'd recommend sourcing the smoked OEM ones for not much more.

High-Lo said:
For Q2 here is a new drivers rear cluster on eBay for BIN £47 inc delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-C-Class-Rear-Light_W0QQitemZ4615854932QQcategoryZ10398QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7e_1_b.JPG

Personally though I'd recommend sourcing the smoked OEM ones for not much more.

That would look really odd!, he needs a facelift, facelift smoked one! that one is from the early W202's 1994-95 (there were 3 styles of tail lights)

They should come off ok. Mine were perfect but I binned then.

Koolvin said:
That would look really odd!, he needs a facelift, facelift smoked one! that one is from the early W202's 1994-95 (there were 3 styles of tail lights)

Koolvin that would be a direct replacement for what Ian already has. Check this thread for pics :)

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=217411#post217411

I'm sure they should have been red/clear though for the C43 and not red/clear/amber. The smoked ones would look much better. I thought the amber ones were only used on the 'Classic' and 'Esprit' model W202's at that time.

Thanks guys for the replies, but you'll see that I posted the question last year, round about June !

The answer to the questions about the rubber wheel arch strips is that I took them off, but they were a bit of a b*gger, and got a bit messed up in the process, so they got binned.

Regarding the rear light clusters, I posted a couple of days ago about this, and it turns out I've got non-standard (for the C43) unsmoked red, amber, white clusters. I will get round to putting the correct items on at some point, but yesterday's B service put my car maintenance fund into debit. Had the B service, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, new steering damper, new control arm bushes & new battery.

Cheers

Ian

thanks H-L

yikes!!!!

what's your car doing with those old school lights?

converse120 said:
Thanks guys for the replies, but you'll see that I posted the question last year, round about June !

Cheers

Ian

:eek:

Koolvin said:
thanks H-L

yikes!!!!

what's your car doing with those old school lights?

Don't know, but it did worry me a bit when my esteemed forum colleagues made me aware. I'm over it now though ! Now I've had it serviced for the first time I know the car is basically sound and I'm relishing the prospect of getting the car into tip-top condition as and when funds allow.

Thanks for the prompt about the GTG, I hadn't seen the post about it. Don't know yet, will reply to the thread proper when I know more.

Cheers

Ian

Another wheel arch extender wanter! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom