C43 Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omegav6i

Car
C43
Iv been toying with the idea of fitting a 5.5 but i was just wondering if there is any major differences between the e55 or the clk55 i would be using, iv read about little bits here and there but i mean any major draw backs?

Also would buying a car whole be the safest bet rather than a stripped down engine?

Hi,
I have a 208 55 engine fitted in my 43, it went straight in, though I needed the 43 engine loom and throttle body.
I think the same goes for the E55 engine though the starter motor sits on the other side of the bellhousing
Regardless of which 55 engine it will need a coolant outlet on the back of the RH cylinder head for the separate trans cooler, or a coolant hose mod which seems to be the favoured solution.
I just bought a complete engine with all ancilliaries, though to be honest I did,nt need the ancilliaries as the 43 ones were the same.
Take a look at my conversion thread,
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/98819-my-c43-c55-conversion.html

Last edited:
Shout if I can help.

The E engine is prefered for performance IMO.

Thanks for the replies, its still in the do i? dont i? stages. just been looking at what engines are out there and just thought if a whole doner car would be the safest bet as it has everything on it and you can see it running? but then £2500 - £3000 is quite alot seeing as you can get an engine for well under that.

sorry to threadjack.
I have a question about the 55 conversion?
I've been reading on US forums that some of these conversions gave some cars a hezitation when accelerator was pressed down violently?
car being confused and after 5 - 10 seconds responds to a rapidly fast speed.
is it because c43 throttle/ecu is used on 55 engine, these don't match with the engine?

I have the same symptom on my car with the c43 engine!
if I slowly drive my car 5-10 mp/h and then decide to rapidly press down my accelerator, my car hezitates a few seconds to rapidly reply with a bang noise and the lunges forward.
this is not a normal behaviour!
when I bought my car, it had a faulty o2 sensor giving me a hard time when I was doing fast stand still runs.
I had it changed and car had a new response acting perfectly.
I now have 2 new o2 sensors in my car, still sometimes it hezitates on fast accelerate from slow driving.
I also have a new MAF I bought 5 years ago.
what could be the culprit?

is it the throttle actuator busting up?

Does anyone have the partsnumber for throttleactuator?
how much does it cost?
is this a weak part on AMG cars?

Last edited:
sorry to threadjack.
I have a question about the 55 conversion?
I've been reading on US forums that some of these conversions gave some cars a hezitation when accelerator was pressed down violently?
car being confused and after 5 - 10 seconds responds to a rapidly fast speed.
is it because c43 throttle/ecu is used on 55 engine, these don't match with the engine?

I have the same symptom on my car with the c43 engine!
if I slowly drive my car 5-10 mp/h and then decide to rapidly press down my accelerator, my car hezitates a few seconds to rapidly reply with a bang noise and the lunges forward.
this is not a normal behaviour!
when I bought my car, it had a faulty o2 sensor giving me a hard time when I was doing fast stand still runs.
I had it changed and car had a new response acting perfectly.
I now have 2 new o2 sensors in my car, still sometimes it hezitates on fast accelerate from slow driving.
I also have a new MAF I bought 5 years ago.
what could be the culprit?

is it the throttle actuator busting up?

Does anyone have the partsnumber for throttleactuator?
how much does it cost?
is this a weak part on AMG cars?

Hi,
I,m running the 43 MAF, Throttle body and 43 ECU and there is no hesitation whatsoever, in fact its the exact opposite, especially when in "S", response is immediate.
I,m wondering if this is sign of a failling Torque convertor, as I had similiar symptoms on mine.

Hi Andy

the hezitation only happens sometimes.
for an example, I'm passing a speed bump at very slow speed, after passing the speed bump I then hit the accelerator doing a rapid speed increase.
my front feels like it's going to raise up in the sky/rear is planted to the ground.
hezitation occurs for 5 -10 seconds and there is like a nasty sound from the engine or transmission coming?
then my car decides just to take off like a loose cannon after the hezitation cleared?? :eek:

my transmission works and shifts perfect otherwise.
it's only acting weird when driving slow and the devul in me decides to speed up rapidly upon upshift my transmission screws me over.
maybe there is an limitation delay on lower gear when car is coasting?

if C43 ecu self adapts to e55 engine, why isn't e55 ecu being used in in conjunction with e55 engine in the c43?
throttle from e55 does it have different connector plugs than c43 throttle?
therefore e55 throttle can't be fit?

Last edited:
Hesitation sounds like a MAS problem.

As far as a C45 MAS being used on a C55, it is probably seeing a bit more air as the MAS element is almost certainly the same, just the housing is a bit larger for a C55.

Hi Andy

if C43 ecu self adapts to e55 engine, why isn't e55 ecu being used in in conjunction with e55 engine in the c43?
throttle from e55 does it have different connector plugs than c43 throttle?
therefore e55 throttle can't be fit?

Probably down to coding, ecu linked to alarm/immob then to Key and all that
An ECU from another car is not plug and play

Hesitation sounds like a MAS problem.

As far as a C45 MAS being used on a C55, it is probably seeing a bit more air as the MAS element is almost certainly the same, just the housing is a bit larger for a C55.

I have a new MAS, bought it 5 years ago.
could it have gone bad so fast?
didn't drive my car many miles since I bought it 8 years ago?

this part seems to have a short lifespan?

Hi Olly,

Could you explain why you prefer the E AMG engine over the CLK please.

I was under the impression that all NA 55 AMG engines were the same aside from tuning and exhausts.

How is the E faster?

Hi Olly,

Could you explain why you prefer the E AMG engine over the CLK please.

I was under the impression that all NA 55 AMG engines were the same aside from tuning and exhausts.

How is the E faster?

more torque and a few more HP from E55 engine perhaps?

if doing this modification swapping engines, best E55 engine is from 2001 - 2002 with water inlet mounted on the rear part of the engine, makes it just plug 'n' play in the C43?

Well its clearly been away from the car for a while, the v belt pulleys are rusty at the time of the photo...

I wouldnt be happy buying an engine without the car, before I went to all the trouble of the conversion, id want to hear and drive it.

You can pick up rusty E55's for sub 2K if you wait... then just sell some of the valuable parts such as interior, gearbox etc and you can end up making money if you are lucky.

That engine has been on there for ages

Yeh i have seen that engine on there for ages. Think i will go for a whole car, saw a clk55 the other day with two tone seats, command, loads of extras etc, he wanted 2600 for it, obviously was cosmetically a bit rough but engine was at 77,000.

As its been said the e55 would give a better perfomance, i assume that would be hardly noticable? or to say someone like me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom