C43 Coupe collection day :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VijayB

Car
2016 Mercedes C43 Coupe, 2011 Audi S3 S-Tronic
So yesterday ended my 4 week wait for my first shiny new car. Unfortunately the weather was awful so didn't get to play outside with it much but here are some shots from the handover...

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 131
Here are some more..

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 91
Ah the patience you'll need for the first 1000 miles or so as not to throttle it to see if it does do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds!

Looks marvellous!

Gorgeous. Your next job is to try and keep that shine. Ultimately, it is the driving experience that counts.

I also notice that the front grill has a tiny AMG logo beneath the right hand cross bar. Nice touch.

Ah the patience you'll need for the first 1000 miles or so as not to throttle it to see if it does do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds!

Looks marvellous!

I did have a 1-1 with my right foot before we went to pick the car up but the dealer told me these come run in from the factory and with modern cars the only thing to be careful of bedding in is the brakes. Everything else is good to go from day 1...cue the snaps, crackles and pops :)

Gorgeous. Your next job is to try and keep that shine. Ultimately, it is the driving experience that counts.

I also notice that the front grill has a tiny AMG logo beneath the right hand cross bar. Nice touch.

Having collected it in the pouring rain, the shine is already gone :(

The car is amazing to drive as expected and the little details are superb. I didn't notice the AMG logo until I saw the car awaiting prep - it's too small for people to notice on the road but you do see it if you look hard enough...

Most importantly of all though...floormats!

We were instructed to take it easy for the first 1000 miles in our SL400 (same engine). It also days this in the manual.

I've not heard MB doing pre run in engines before. Maybe it's a new thing?

Beautiful car!!! I'd love the C43 but I'll probably settle for the C300 as I would most certainly lose my licence with yours!! LOL!

Beautiful car, congratulations!

I think out of sympathy it's worth doing the 1000 before going mad but the engine is fairly relaxed in power output and not hand built so not as strict as the V8/45's

Can't wait to get mine even more now, please give us a full review when you have enjoyed the car for a little while.

Nice car really pleased for you

I think 'running in' is a carry over from the days of old when engine oil was thick and unrefined, and while dealers will often tell new owners to take it easy for the first 1,000 miles, you will also find dealers who say that it doesn't matter a jot how you drive your new car.

Modern oils are extremely refined with all sorts of additives for the modern engine, coupled with the fact that the more sophisticated engines will analyse your driving style and calculate when oil needs changing, pre-warning you of the need for an oil change.

To be honest, the only reference to engine speed is not to rev the engine when the engine is still cold. I could not see anything about running in at all. Mind you, the manual is rather thick.

We were instructed to take it easy for the first 1000 miles in our SL400 (same engine). It also days this in the manual.

As does my 2014 M157 - I would also want to adhere to what the manual says.

I had a 2016 CLA45 recently and there was a windscreen sticker advising restricting the revs (can't remember the figure) until x miles had been done.

This is what the SL owners manual states.

The first 1,500 km
If you treat the engine with sufficient care from the very start, you will be rewarded with excellent performance for the remainder of the
engine's life.
Drive at varying vehicle speeds and engine speeds for the first 1,500 km.
Avoid overstraining the vehicle during this period, e.g. driving at full throttle.
Change gear in good time, before the rev counter needle is of the way to the red area of the rev counter.
Do not shift down a gear manually in order to brake.
Try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the point of resistance (kickdown).
After 1,500 km, you may gradually bring the vehicle up to full road and engine speeds.
Additional notes on running in Mercedes*AMG vehicles:
Do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h for the first 1,500 km.
Only briefly allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm.
It is advisable to select drive program C for Controlled Efficiency.
You should also observe these notes on running*in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.

These are the running in notes from the new C Class owners manual.

The first 1,500 km
If you treat the engine with sufficient care from the very start, you will be rewarded with excellent performance for the remainder of the
engine's life.
Drive at varying road speeds and engine speeds for the first 1500 km.
Avoid overstraining the vehicle during this period, e.g. driving at full throttle.
When shifting gears manually, shift up in good time, before the rev counter needle reaches of the way to the red area of the
rev counter display.
Vehicles with automatic transmission: try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point (kickdown).
For the first 1500 km, do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h.
Allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm only briefly.
Drive the vehicle mainly in drive program C for the first 1500 km.
After 1500 km, you can increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed.
You should also observe these notes on running in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.
Always observe the maximum permissible speed

Last edited:
Saw a very similar one on the hardshoulder of the M3 near on Saturday morning - with an unmarked 3 series behind with the blue lights on.... Wasnt you christening the new car was it???

Very Nice, not a big fan of the old C Class (sorry), but looking forward to seeing this in convertable guise.

Beautiful car, congratulations!

I think out of sympathy it's worth doing the 1000 before going mad but the engine is fairly relaxed in power output and not hand built so not as strict as the V8/45's

As does my 2014 M157 - I would also want to adhere to what the manual says.

I had a 2016 CLA45 recently and there was a windscreen sticker advising restricting the revs (can't remember the figure) until x miles had been done.

This is what the SL owners manual states.

The first 1,500 km
engine's life.
Drive at varying vehicle speeds and engine speeds for the first 1,500 km.
Change gear in good time, before the rev counter needle is of the way to the red area of the rev counter.
Try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the point of resistance (kickdown).
After 1,500 km, you may gradually bring the vehicle up to full road and engine speeds.
Do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h for the first 1,500 km.
Only briefly allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm.
It is advisable to select drive program C for Controlled Efficiency.
You should also observe these notes on running*in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.

These are the running in notes from the new C Class owners manual.

The first 1,500 km
engine's life.
Drive at varying road speeds and engine speeds for the first 1500 km.
When shifting gears manually, shift up in good time, before the rev counter needle reaches of the way to the red area of the
rev counter display.
Vehicles with automatic transmission: try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point (kickdown).
For the first 1500 km, do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h.
Allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm only briefly.
Drive the vehicle mainly in drive program C for the first 1500 km.
After 1500 km, you can increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed.
You should also observe these notes on running in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.
Always observe the maximum permissible speed

Agreed with all of the above. The dealer said it's not necessary but I checked this in the manual over the weekend and saw the same as what Red has written up. I would always have taken it easy for the first 1000m or so anyway just to avoid any brake/engine issues and get used to it properly.

I was very surprised he said that to me on handover because as far as I am concerned it's a given that a car needs some running in from new. He has proven himself very knowledgeable though, so I'm inclined to believe he knows something I don't but there's no harm in a bit of caution...

It's quite painful though. The engine and exhaust start to hit some beautifully brutal notes above 4k rpm. It helps me to know where to lift off though - as soon as it sounds good and my brain says 'yeahhhh'...stop :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom