C43 Crabbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warwickduo

Car
C43 AMG Cabriolet Premium Plus
I am aware that this issue has been previously discussed but just want some further advice.
I recently purchased a 2019 C43 Cabriolet fitted with 19 inch wheels and with 6k on the clock from a MB dealership. They did make me aware of the crabbing issues with this car at the time of purchase. However I must admit that I didn't fully appreciate the problem and it really started to annoy me. On contacting the dealership with the problem they were very sympathetic and agreed to change the tyres. They informed me that the MB recommended replacement tyres for the Pzero run flats were Continental Conti Sport 5P. The Pzeros have now been changed for the Continentals and the crabbing has not improved at all, although the ride quality is better. I reported this issue to the dealership and they informed me that they could do no more as these were the recommended replacement tyres by MB to resolve the matter.
Does anyone else have these tyres on their C43 and are still having the crabbing issue.
Any advice as to what action I may be able to take with MB to resolve the issue would be most appreciated.

Without being too harsh, what are you expecting them to do? They made you aware of the issue before you bought it and have in my opinion been more than helpful in changing the tyres.

I appreciate what you are saying and agree that they have been helpful. However they did say that it was the recommended MB fix for the crabbing problem and quite clearly it has not resolved the problem!

If you bought the car having been informed about the tendency of the car to skip, and they have already replaced the tyres, then I suspect your recourse is limited.

Personally I would buy a set of winter tyres and get on with enjoying your car.

Well I am surprised you bought a C43 the problem of crabbing has been well aired in forums like this and on the net,in short there is no solution for RH drive C43's it is a mechanical fault that is not found on LH drive cars,and the garage that sold you the car told you about it,I thought I had read that the Pzeros was the partial correction for this not Continentals .

I am aware that this issue has been previously discussed but just want some further advice.
I recently purchased a 2019 C43 Cabriolet fitted with 19 inch wheels and with 6k on the clock from a MB dealership. They did make me aware of the crabbing issues with this car at the time of purchase. However I must admit that I didn't fully appreciate the problem and it really started to annoy me. On contacting the dealership with the problem they were very sympathetic and agreed to change the tyres. They informed me that the MB recommended replacement tyres for the Pzero run flats were Continental Conti Sport 5P. The Pzeros have now been changed for the Continentals and the crabbing has not improved at all, although the ride quality is better. I reported this issue to the dealership and they informed me that they could do no more as these were the recommended replacement tyres by MB to resolve the matter.
Does anyone else have these tyres on their C43 and are still having the crabbing issue.
Any advice as to what action I may be able to take with MB to resolve the issue would be most appreciated.
Have you tried wheel alignment

Had it on my 2015 c300 and was told it was just a rhd “feature”. Have two friends who have same issue and my 2019 C43 has it as well.

unfortunately just one of those things

Seems to me a ridiculous situation where you have to buy specific tyres to cure a mechanical issue on a car. Is it just the C class that is affected, I had no skipping issues on either of my ML's.

Had it on my 2015 c300 and was told it was just a rhd “feature”. Have two friends who have same issue and my 2019 C43 has it as well.

unfortunately just one of those things
It’s an issue that appears on a number of cars as well as some of the MB SUV’s. I was warned about the GLC63S by MB when my GLE63S was in at the dealership because I was looking at the car. The GLE never experienced an issue but I ran winters and these are (IMO) your best option if it’s that much of an annoyance.

Seems to me a ridiculous situation where you have to buy specific tyres to cure a mechanical issue on a car. Is it just the C class that is affected, I had no skipping issues on either of my ML's.
Which size tyres did you have?

Maybe a trip to WIM in Chesham to let them do a bit of magic with a proper geometry check & adjust, may allow them to ‘dial down’ the tendancy for it to be apparent.
(not just ‘alignment’)

Its not acceptable on a nearly new car ,even if they told you you can say you didnt realise it would be so bad , consumer law states goods have to be suitable for the purpose they are sold for , a late high end luxury car should have no issues , speak to trading standards if your dealer is not forthcoming .

Its not acceptable on a nearly new car ,even if they told you you can say you didnt realise it would be so bad , consumer law states goods have to be suitable for the purpose they are sold for , a late high end luxury car should have no issues , speak to trading standards if your dealer is not forthcoming .
That'll be a total waste of time , how many MB cars do you think have this problem to a greater or lesser degree. It's a well known issue and the tyre swop is the only remedy offered by MB. I think the Pirellis are the normal fix , which most new GLCs seem to be fitted with.

Winter tyres will resolve the issue.

Expecting a low-profile stiff-sidewalled high-performance tyre to perform in cold winter weather without any compromise isn’t realistic.

If the OP is unhappy with the car then s/he should return it if they have the ability to do so, or better still fit winter tyres as recommended by the manufacturer.

Expecting a low-profile stiff-sidewalled high-performance tyre to perform in cold winter weather without any compromise isn’t realistic.

If the OP is unhappy with the car then s/he should return it if they have the ability to do so, or better still fit winter tyres as recommended by the manufacturer.
Agree with Bobby Dazzler 100%. You can get this on anything, it’s not just a Merc issue in my experience. I’ve had an Audi S8 and an M850i BMW (both AWD) display the same characteristics to a lesser degree. You’re laterally pushing a solid piece of big fat cold compound along a road surface. In all likelihood it’s going to judder. As an example, ran the S8 on winters and no problem.

Dont agree with that , its not that cold in the UK currently and the car should not need different tyres in above zero temperatures with no snow, my E350 behaves perfectly with low profile Pirelli Zero`s .

Agree with Bobby Dazzler 100%. You can get this on anything, it’s not just a Merc issue in my experience. I’ve had an Audi S8 and an M850i BMW (both AWD) display the same characteristics to a lesser degree. You’re laterally pushing a solid piece of big fat cold compound along a road surface. In all likelihood it’s going to judder. As an example, ran the S8 on winters and no problem.
By the way, I’ve run a C43 Coupe so can do the comparison from my own experience. The car is probably worse than other AWD’s I’ve run.

By the way, I’ve run a C43 Coupe so can do the comparison from my own experience. The car is probably worse than other AWD’s I’ve run.
Dont agree with that , its not that cold in the UK currently and the car should not need different tyres in above zero temperatures with no snow, my E350 behaves perfectly with low profile Pirelli Zero`s .
Is the E350 a 4Matic?

It may be worth taking the car to garage that does laser wheel alignment ( not just simple tracking) I had mine done and it made a very noticeable improvement , cost £45.00 , if the car has been kerbed in the past it could easily be out.

the car should not need different tyres in above zero temperatures with no snow,
It shouldn't, but I bet the problem would disappear with winter tyres none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom