C43 Euro Xenon Headlight adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

finch

Car
Alpina B10 V8
Hi Fellas this is pretty urgent my LHD C43 has just failed it's MOT on headlight beams pointing to the wrong side. On my previous BMW there was a lever that I could pull and it would swing the beam over for Euro trips but I cannot for the life of me see anything like it on the W202 XENON units fitted to my car. Am I missing something there is nothing in the owners manual.

I have a feeling this may be a bigger issue than you expect.

I will be watching closely for the answer... Sorry I can't help

You will need two RHD headlamp glasses which are about £100 each mate :thumb:

Thanks Justin I have just ordered a pair from the main dealer. One side is coming up as in stock in germany but the other side is on back order. I should know more on delivery times on monday. Just a thought is it easy enough to drop a pair of halogen headlight units in for the sake of the mot as the lens on back order could take weeks to arrive.

You won't have the little thumb wheel control to adjust the level if you put halogens in , with the result that it might fail the mot again !

The xenon system is self adjusting and levelling so doesn't have the thumbwheel

Hi,
Sorry I have only just seen this thread, even with the RHD lenses on your Headlights, they still won,t pass the MOT, as the silver reflector in the headlight is different to, and is specific to RHD Xenons, and are in the region of £175 each!!
Your best option IMO is cancel your order for the lenses ASAP, buy a set of second hand Halogens headlights and fit them, they are a straight swap for the Xenon units. Once you have got the car through the MOT look for a second hand pair of Xenon headlights on E-bay, they do come up occasionally, I do know where there is 1 brand new one for sale £250, and the last time I rang Mercman up he had one second hand one for £125.

As Andy says, complete headlamps.

O.k I have ordered a pair of u.k halogen headlights so that I can get an mot on the car this week. The only thing that bothers me is that I will not be able to hook the H7 bulbs up as the wiring that comes out of the ballast back for the hid / xenon bulb is different.

The plug into the complete headlamp is the same, everything to do with the xenon lighting is housed within the headlamp itself.

Halogen headlights will be a direct swap as I said in post 9 of this thread, just use your electric levelling motors in the Halogen headlights.
All the necessary wiring goes into the headlight whether it is a Halogen or a Xenon, then on the Xenon headlight the wiring to the external ballast comes out on a separate socket.
You will have to unplug the ballast, when fitting the halogen, leave the ballasts fitted, just seal up the ballast plug with self amalgamating tape to protect it from the damp.
Please note that the fog light in the headlight does not work on the C43 as the fog light function is in the bumper.
I take it you have ordered the correct Halogen Headlight? As the 202 had two different variations, the ones that you require have the two separate bulb covers at the back of the headlight and should appear identical to your Xenon units, the other type was fitted on pre 97 vehicles and has only one cover at the back of the headlight.

Hi Andy thanks for the info i ordered the headlights from an outfit up north called Prestige and he told me that i needed the later facelift type so i am assuming they will be the correct post 97.

Hi,
Sounds like they have supplied you the right ones as many don,t realise there are two different types, someone even posted on here that he had one of each type fitted to his recently bought 202!
Shame I have my old Halogen headlights sat in my garage which I could let you have, I kept them as spares after fitting Xenons to my 43, just in case I had any issues or damaged the Xenons.

Hi,
I have only ever fitted 4300k lamps in mine so I can,t really comment if fitting 5k would be much of an improvement or what the colour would be like. But 5k lamps seem to be limit of the white spectrum, and "I think" later MBs had 5k lamps from the factory.
Using the OEM Ballast would be a no go, as the MB Xenon system consists of the Ballast and an igniter unit which is fitted actually in the headlight, aftermarket combine these two units in one.
I suppose you could fit an aftermarket 35W Xenon kit, though I think you will have to cut a hole in one of the back covers of the headlight to fit them.
If it was me I would use the halogens for the time being and keep an eye open for some second hand Xenon's or slowly build up the parts to convert your LHD Xenon's with the correct parts, (Two headlight lenses, two reflectors).
To be honest I reftro fitted Xenon's complete with the entire levelling system, Headlamp wash/wipe etc. to my
C43 and to be completely honest the amount of work and what it cost me in comparison with the light improvement I would,nt do it again, put a decent set of Osram Night Breakers in there for the time being till such time you can fit the Xenons back in it.

Hi Gurpz as i am a newbie i do not have the capability to pm other members yet. My e-mail address is [email protected] let me know what you are after for them and we might be able to have a deal.

Liam

Re demons available

If these are still on offer please contact me - simon2824- as I am considering fitting these to my c36. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom