C43 Front discs legality of smaller discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steptoe11

Car
E500 W211Saloon 2002, C32 AMG Estate 2002, Range Rover Vogue V8 L322
Hi

I'm quite new on here but have had a few MB's in the past, C32, C43 and a E430 in current use as our family estate.

I recently bought some front discs for my C43 off Fleabay from a supposedly reputable seller who was selling these disc soley for a C43. I'd seen a few which claimed to fit the C43 and all other C classes which i obviously flagged up as dubious. I took the C43 to get MOT'd and replace the discs when the mechanic told me they where to small, the discs i'd been supplied where 288mm and for a w203 saloon and not a C43 which should be much bigger as i've learned are the same as an E55 334mm (i think) Anyway i contacted the seller to allay my dissaproval as surely if you put smaller discs on the heavy C43 it would affect braking performance. He said they can do what they want and aren't braking any laws but surely this is covered by UK consumer law sales of goods act:
Fitness for purpose, s14(3) If the buyer expressly or impliedly makes his purpose for the goods known to the seller, the seller is obliged to make sure the goods provided are fit for that purpose, if it is reasonable for the buyer to rely on the seller's expertise. An example of the application of this provision can be found in Godley v PerryI carry two children in my car at times a 2 year old toddler and a new born
surely there is some legality issue here?

Thanks
Leigh

they wouldnt fit correctly as the brake pad would over lap the leading edge of the disc

If you paid by PayPal start a dispute but good luck with that.

Regardless of the issue regarding re-imbursement get the discs changed to the correct type ASAP. Who fitted the discs? Surely it was immediately obvious that they were the incorrect size by a simple comparison?

Hi

Thanks for the reply's, i did pay via Paypal and have started a dispute. The mechanic didn't try to fit the discs as he said they wouldn't fit. I'm just sick of buying things from ebay that aren't right it happens so often. I've been quoted £250 for new discs and pads from the mechanic does that sound right?

Thanks
Leigh

I read the Op's thread to mean that the MOT garage didn't fit the discs, supplied by the OP, as they were too small.

Under normal circumstances, most reputable dealers/ factors wtc. would simply re-supply the correct parts and take the originally supplied pair, provided unfitted/undamaged, back.

If no success with the seller, try taking it up with the 'auction site', as already suggested.

If no luck, you then need to make a decision about whether it's worth pursuing further any further, ie. the likely cost etc. or put it down to experience. Alternatively, readvertise them and see if someone with the correct model C Class wants to buy them.

I bought some a few months ago, but they are ridcously cheap now compared to what they use to be well over £200ea from MB.
I went through similar issues with when trying to purchase aftermarket discs and to be fair if I could find them listed at all in the aftermarket listings the size was always wrong, this was the case even with some very well known brands too, so your supplier is probably only quoting from his application guide as being rather a rare car probably hasnt sold any before to get customer feedback, just explain to him that the discs he has supplied you are not the same as the ones currently fitted, and would like a refund.
There should be no arguement on his side at all.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, i've sourced some at Eurocar Parts for £48 each inclusive, 334mm which i'm sure are the correct size. I've contacted the seller on Ebay and he has offered a full refund except i wont get my postage back for returning them. He still say's he is within his rights to sell smaller discs for the C43 even though they dont fit! It even has w203 on the box.

Thanks
Leigh

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, i've sourced some at Eurocar Parts for £48 each inclusive, 334mm which i'm sure are the correct size. I've contacted the seller on Ebay and he has offered a full refund except i wont get my postage back for returning them. He still say's he is within his rights to sell smaller discs for the C43 even though they dont fit! It even has w203 on the box.

Thanks
Leigh

He can sell anything he likes as long as it is not prohibited by law, what he cannot do is misrepresent items he is selling. You cannot sell an item and claim it to be suitable for a specific application when it is not, his ignorance of that is not a legal defence.

You have probably achieved the best result that you could have hoped for so chalk it up to experience.:thumb:

The ones from euro will be wrong, as said buy genuine amg disks from Mercedes, they are also sided with directional vents, I tried brake engineering, Zimmerman, bosch and brembo, all listing c43 all wrong.

Just checked prices from my stealer in Dublin!!! They are still €290+ vat each .....

If you want a set. Let me know. I can send some over.

Olly that would be brilliant fair play to ya!!!!! I'll get back to ya in a couple of weeks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom