C43 Gearbox Gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omegav6i

Car
C43
Noticed a few patches on the drive today and on further inspection i found this. The car still seems to drive like it always had. Should i prepare myself for the worst?

Attachments

• ewrttr.jpg
    ewrttr.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 112
It could be the pilot bush leaking not to expensive as The_Don says go to your local indie to get it checked out. If I remember correctly you need to be aware that the fluid will travel up to the gearbox ECU via the wiring loom,and that would be expensive.
John

It could be the pilot bush leaking not to expensive as The_Don says go to your local indie to get it checked out. If I remember correctly you need to be aware that the fluid will travel up to the gearbox ECU via the wiring loom,and that would be expensive.
John

Not necessarily all the story. The external leak (which you have) MAY allow fluid up the loom, but I've not found any definite evidence that it does. Correction involves replacing either the O-rings for the plastic bushing, or the bushing itself (about a fiver off eBay for an aftermarket item), and is an easy job if the bushing comes out OK. Mine didn't, and as it wasn't leaking, I left well alone rather than apply force and risk snapping part of it off and still be unable to remove it.

Fluid up the loom is more likely to be an internal leak through the electrical connector plug, which means it is leaking through the internal connector plate. They're about £120 or so, and there's plenty on eBay, but it's a lot more involved to change than the pilot bushing. The way to check is to undo and pull out the connector plug, and see how much (if any) fluid comes out. There was a tiny bit - just a few drops - on mine, so that, too, I left well alone. HTH.

E55BOF

Get it checked, it won't be the pilot bush as the sump is dry (ish) it would be soaked like you rear support mount.

Turns out it wasnt too serious, the oil was leaking out the back of the gearbox through the wires? it was loud at work when i took the phone call so i may of misheard. The part was only about £30 but they have to take the back of the gearbox off to get to it.

The leak was coming from the park lock cable at the back of the gearbox. Wasn't the end of the world thankfully.

About 2 days before I noticed the leak I tried the car locked in 2nd around town in stop start traffic so I could listen to the engine, that wouldn't of pushed it over the edge would it?

I doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom