c43 grinding noise in P and N

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My car is registered December 99, they have not given me a figure yet as to what it is going to cost but have said its not cheap which does not help much not knowing what the final bill is going to be. Will give them a ring later on today as i do not have a blank cheque book to my disposal.

do you have shifter gate 1234-PND or
PN -D+ tiptronic gearbox
cars registered in December 99 should have the best tranny fitted with tiptronic gearbox if it's final facelift version.
I have the old style shifter gate.

no mine is not the tiptronic its the older version,same as yours, i think the ones that were built in 2000 had the tiptronic gearboxes

you sure you have a real 99, these cars came with updated design on stereo?
you should have the updated tranny.
there are early cars MFD in 98 registered as MY99 cars, these are no real MY99 cars when they have pre-facelift stereo and other things.

last year production vehicles 2000-2001 had tiptronic
stationwagon was built to 2001 if i'm not mistaken

100% December 99, ive double checked the V5 registration, i have been going through all the service history and it looks like the previous owner had never changed the ATF despite spending on average £7-800 every year on a service at MB since his 13 years of owning it. Im guessing not changing the ATF at all has worn the tranny out.

your december 99 car must be an earlier car manufactured before autumn-99, late dec-99 cars they all had tipotronic gearbox

servicing tranny comes as an extra cost, this is not included in A - B service!
maybe previous owner didn't know about tranny service or shop BS'ed him about sealed for life policy?

this unfortunate cost now landed in your hands, sorry about that

Last edited:
£1200 and some time later i have my car back,i was told that the main shaft was beyond repair so a full recon on another gear box and 12 months warranty given. Now the brakes and a full service.

you got another gearbox which was reconditioned with new parts?
did they put upgraded parts?

apologies for taking so long on answering last post,yes i got a another gearbox and it was reconditioned but i dont know if they put in uprated parts in it but gave me 12 months warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom