C43 harmonic balancer failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b16ray

Car
C43
Morning guys and gals,

I have searched for ths problem and couldn't find an answer, if there is a thread or post, please let me know.

Despite working on cars, i'm no mechanic so i apologise for the lack of exact technical description etc...

Here goes, after investigating a problem yesterday (ATF cooler leaking), i saw oil on the under tray, so dropped it down and tried to see where it was coming from. Having driven the car very little this year, i ws expecting a few probs where things are tired etc..... I knew of the C43'shaving a problem whereby the crank pulley wobbled and started eating into the front of the engine.

To say i was gutted would be an understatement. I love this car and have spent a lot of time, sweat, blood in restoring it to its rightful glory.

I could only see the bottom third of the pulley as it was on the floor, but i could see quite clearly a nice circular groove that had been milled into the engine. From my basic knowledge (and a tech friend at dealer) i think its the sump and possibly a second sump that are the damaged.

I know that until i have it stripped out a little, i won't know the full extent of damage, but at the moment, i'm trying to weigh up whether i am going to concentrate on repairing the problem, or concentrate on breaking it and then repair the engine lastly.

If anyone has experience of same problem or any links of similar probs etc, please help!

Thanks
Ray

I have had this a few times. Take a pic so I can see how bad the damage is.

If it is is bad a new front cover and sump is required.

Hopefully there's a pic attatched? :eek:

This is the best pic i have of it i'm afraid, i know it doesn't show a lot, but it does show oil leaking from above one of the bolts.

Any help advice extremely appreciated. :)

Attachments

• 379545_10150455103192092_513907091_8538840_1911787628_n.jpg
    379545_10150455103192092_513907091_8538840_1911787628_n.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 132
Hi,
Depending on the price of the replacement parts ie sump and front cover I might be able to sort the parts as I have a complete C43 engine you could get the bits off of, though the reasonably new harmonic balancer has gone off of it, on a ML430 now.

Last edited:
You maybe able to fill the hole with "plumbers mate".

Cheers guys,

think I'm going to get a couple of guys I worked with at dealer to come and help me strip it all down and assess damage.

If they decide replacing parts is the way forward, I'll bite your arm off for the bits. One has already mentioned using a metal fix that is machinable etc.

Thanks
Ray

For Olly

Olly, regarding custom pulleys you proposed some months ago, what has been your experience and comments on using these? I read so many horror stories with this piece of equipment, that it has to be proved at least 99% sure before I decide on doing it or not.

I have had one on now for 7,000 miles. No issues at all.

Thanks for the info:)

I have done these before, remove the pulley clean up the area. Apply chemical metal, let it dry properly. New pulley, job done :thumb:

If you feel that chemical metal won't be reliable, why not have the alloy welded by a local fabricators that deals in aluminium products.

We used Belzona liquid metal to repair a motorcycle crankcase, drilled and tapped helicoils for the the head bolts into it, no problems. The same stuff was used to repair pressure extruders at 200psig, whilst they were running.

Otoh welding aluminium is reasonably simple.

Chemical metal done! It will be fine used loads of time on Mercedes with this issue and other cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom