C43 - new discs and pads - do they need bedding in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimjordan

Car
W205 C43 facelift
Hi all

I've been looking through previous threads to see whether or not I need to do anything specific to bed in/burnish my new front disks/pads (just replacement MB AMG ones). The car isn't going on a track, just normal roads.

The general consensus seems to be get the brakes warm with five 60mph to 10mph stops under medium brake pedal pressure, then repeat (possibly from higher speed) but applying hard pressure on the brakes and not coming to a complete stop each time. This process being to apply a "transfer layer" of pad material evenly to the disc (according to youtube :)) and may also help minimise brake squeal.

Either side of these activities seems to differ - some suggest pootling around for 100-200miles before attempting the above, others suggest that's not needed.

Likewise after the hard stops - some suggest stopping shortly afterwards and letting the car sit for 20mins to cool without any brakes applied whereas others suggest driving around for a while to let air-flow cool the brakes.

TLDR; do I need to bed in new brakes on a 2019 C43? If yes, do I need to wait 100+ miles before actively trying to bed in my brakes?

I've never done anything specific to bed brakes in but the usual advice is take it easy for a whole after changing because the new brakes won't be as effective right out the box. I wouldn't go slamming on or doing any hard breaking and leave your self plenty of stopping distance. I always give everything a good clean before esembling the new brakes and use a bit of copper slip in the appropriate places (not on the pad face lol) to prevent squeal

Hi all

I've been looking through previous threads to see whether or not I need to do anything specific to bed in/burnish my new front disks/pads (just replacement MB AMG ones). The car isn't going on a track, just normal roads.

The general consensus seems to be get the brakes warm with five 60mph to 10mph stops under medium brake pedal pressure, then repeat (possibly from higher speed) but applying hard pressure on the brakes and not coming to a complete stop each time. This process being to apply a "transfer layer" of pad material evenly to the disc (according to youtube :)) and may also help minimise brake squeal.

Either side of these activities seems to differ - some suggest pootling around for 100-200miles before attempting the above, others suggest that's not needed.

Likewise after the hard stops - some suggest stopping shortly afterwards and letting the car sit for 20mins to cool without any brakes applied whereas others suggest driving around for a while to let air-flow cool the brakes.

TLDR; do I need to bed in new brakes on a 2019 C43? If yes, do I need to wait 100+ miles before actively trying to bed in my brakes?
I personally WOULD bed them in.

My C63 suffered from terrible judder when braking hard from motorway speed when I got it back in 2020 (MY2017 new to me). After watching what I think is the same YT as you, I did all the procedures suggested and it cured the judder completely. I put it down to lack of use/uneven wear from the previous owner.

So as I said, its probably good practice to take the time to bed them in before hard use.

I personally WOULD bed them in.

My C63 suffered from terrible judder when braking hard from motorway speed when I got it back in 2020 (MY2017 new to me). After watching what I think is the same YT as you, I did all the procedures suggested and it cured the judder completely. I put it down to lack of use/uneven wear from the previous owner.

So as I said, its probably good practice to take the time to bed them in before hard use.
Thanks, would you wait for a few hundred miles or just bed them in from new?

As they are stock MB parts, why don't you phone the service dept at your main dealer & ask them what they do.
As an aside, I recently fitted Powerstop ceramic pads all round but new Brembo discs on the rear. Powerstop have a specific bed in requirement, not too dissimilar to what you indicated. Five aggressive stops from 45mph to 10mph, then five more from 35mph to 5 mph, no coming to a full stop either, then drive car for a few miles without stopping or touching the brakes to allow them to cool. Lot harder than it sounds as you can't have following cars jumping on their brakes or stopping for traffic lights or road junctions. I eventually planned a route, then decided about 6.30am Sunday morning as nothing would be around. Managed it ok.

As they are stock MB parts, why don't you phone the service dept at your main dealer & ask them what they do.
As an aside, I recently fitted Powerstop ceramic pads all round but new Brembo discs on the rear. Powerstop have a specific bed in requirement, not too dissimilar to what you indicated. Five aggressive stops from 45mph to 10mph, then five more from 35mph to 5 mph, no coming to a full stop either, then drive car for a few miles without stopping or touching the brakes to allow them to cool. Lot harder than it sounds as you can't have following cars jumping on their brakes or stopping for traffic lights or road junctions. I eventually planned a route, then decided about 6.30am Sunday morning as nothing would be around. Managed it ok.
How are you finding the powerstop pads? Are they as dust free as advertised?

ToeKnee, I think they are good, have not used the car much as its on Sorn for the winter, but certainly dust free. Just before final cleaning before Sorn, to see how good they were, I wiped the inner barrels with a tissue, hardly a mark on it. Outer spokes clean. I was actually thinking just today to replace the pads on my Range Rover (even though they do not need changed) with the Powerstop ceramics as there is a lot of dust generated, even after a day or so.

ToeKnee, I think they are good, have not used the car much as its on Sorn for the winter, but certainly dust free. Just before final cleaning before Sorn, to see how good they were, I wiped the inner barrels with a tissue, hardly a mark on it. Outer spokes clean. I was actually thinking just today to replace the pads on my Range Rover (even though they do not need changed) with the Powerstop ceramics as there is a lot of dust generated, even after a day or so.
Thanks, appreciate the reply 👍

Thanks, would you wait for a few hundred miles or just bed them in from new?
Definitely bed them in from new. I knew I’d done mine enough when I eventually stopped and could hear the discs popping/ticking cooling down, which never happens during my regular driving 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom