C43 pads after track day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

braddo

Car
C43
A few months ago I took the C43 on a track day (the brakes are completely standard) and did not have fade problems but the brakes got very rumbly as the day wore on. I believe the mostly likely cause of this was uneven pad deposits on the discs?

After some months of normal driving the rumble has subsided in normal use. I need to go do some high speed heavy stops to check if it has completely gone. Here is what my pads and discs look like now. Are the crumbly looking bits along the edges of the pads a worry and/or sign that I should replace them?

C2DB3148-79F2-4C1E-B418-C60F7C903219-611-00000062D946886C_zps1f2968fc.jpg

5853B73C-65F6-4B73-A71C-F8C2F58B827A-611-00000062C3279EBC_zpsb28e239f.jpg

C70AAE64-0924-4B5E-B3ED-56B3DC8DEA45-611-0000006294564458_zps7fcd963f.jpg

Thanks,
Brad

Discs and pads are shot, get em replaced ASAP

Yes your pads look a bit worse for wear and the discs are on last legs nice big grove on them

I would be asking the question whether those pads are the correct size
for the discs ? They look too big for the swept area.

Were they ordered from merc using the VIN ? which should be the case.

Yes, crumbly is bad. I noticed mine were crumbly after a trackday, once they were off I saw just how crumbly they were...

7865217662_67d2d244b0_b_d.jpg

I am interested to know the reasoning on the discs, they look OK to me.

S

I think the assumption is that with such deep lip the discs must be bellow minimum thicknesses, though this need to be properly checked.

BTW, the pads say JURID, not familiar with them, are they aftermarket high performance brand?

And yes, strangely it does look as if the pads are too big, as they seem to foul the disc lip (which you would think is not possible as the lip would not have formed where it did...) or is it just the angle of the photo?

Last edited:
I should add that the lip on the inner edge of the disc face (and where the pad looks like it is overlapping) is much more pronounced than the lip on the outer circumference. I'm not sure if the outer one is even 1mm, which I had taken to mean the disc wear is OK. That said, the inner vented part looks pretty crusty although it has never been mentioned at MOT or service time.

The pads are supposed to be OEM (and are much better fit/feel than whatever pattern ones were fitted when I bought the car).

Seeing the photo above :eek: :thumb: , I think I will be ordering new pads even though there is plenty of meat on the existing ones.

The track day was the Bedford GT circuit, which must be one of the toughest circuits for brakes I would think.

Do you have a vernier gauge it will tell you the exact thickness of the disc I'm sure new it s 32mm
And any thing less then 30 they say change them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom