C43 Performance Restriction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r3aching

Car
AMG 44
Hi, this may be a stupid question but putting it out there, I have a 2020 AMG 43 Saloon and want to give to my 20 year old son but want to see if possible to restrict the engine performance for safety reasons and as a means of been a responsible parent. He really wants the car but I feel it’s too powerful for his age.

Greatly appreciate any advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks

It would probably be easier (and cheaper too) to get a less potent car for your son. However...

As a suggestion, why not pay for him to have a "performance driving" course. That way he will be taught the skills necessary to drive safely, and also learn why it's not prudent to drive to the limit on public roads.

Hi, this may be a stupid question but putting it out there, I have a 2020 AMG 43 Saloon and want to give to my 20 year old son but want to see if possible to restrict the engine performance for safety reasons and as a means of been a responsible parent. He really wants the car but I feel it’s too powerful for his age.

Thanks
As suggested if you think the car is too powerful then it may be worth buying an alternative car for him to use. I suspect that the insurance premium will reflect the risk regardless of any restrictions.

If you trust him to drive the car though - and clearly you do - I would arrange for advanced driver training, so he’s equipped with those skills and experiences for life, regardless of which car he’s driving 👍🏻

It's not possible. All the aftermarket remaps are designed to increase power.

I wouldn't give the 20yr old version of myself such an expensive and powerful car. He probably really wants it because he knows it's quick so no matter how much you tell him or take him on courses I guarantee he'll push it on the road.

Best to let him go through the ranks a bit first.

Current owner of C43. The 20y old me would not be alive had I owned it then. It’s very very quick when thrashed.

Having said that, it’s all about responsibility and trust.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The 20 year old version of me would likely end up backwards through a hedge, and left in a field, wondering what story would fit best

I agree with the previous comments, was 53 when I got my first supercharged V8 and am sure I would have taken it off the road if I had been 20 years old. Under no circumstances would I arm my 20 year old with a missile like a C43, no matter how responsible he was . The temptation is just too great to use the throttle to the fullest extent and you think you are invincible at that age , only with more driving experience do you realise we you are not.

Whilst the C43 is more mild mannered and will generally 'absorb' more mistakes through ESC etc than it's V8 big brother, if I'd had a car like that in my 20's I would most certainly not be here now, even though I would have thought I could handle it no problem. It scares the pants off me a lot of the time and I'm almost 50 with a number of fast cars under my belt. Computerised safety only helps you so far, there's no substitute for experience.

Thanks

If I was 20 again I would glady let you adopt me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom