C43 problem-Belt making screaming noise on start up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R120

Car
S124 280, C43 AMG x 2, W213 Estate
So after 800 trouble free miles since I picked it up, I went to start the car this morning, only to be welcomed by what can only be described as a screaming sound coming from the engine, presumably from the belt - drove the car for about 15 mins, and noise stopped after about a minute, stopped car and restarted it, didn't happen when I started it back up, so i went home left it for an hour and then started her up again, and noise was back, so took a vid . .

C43 Problem - YouTube

I can take it to my mechanic tomorrow, but it's about a 5 mile drive - is it ok to drive as I don't want to risk doing serious damage!

Any advice appreciated

Usually sign of a belt slipping when cold. Noise will stop as the belt warms up and gets some grip. Probably worse when the alternator is under load, i.e. lots of electrical items switched on.

Looking at your video, the sound is in sync with the rotation of the belt if you watch.

Last edited:
Usually sign of a belt slipping when cold. Noise will stop as the belt warms up and gets some grip. Probably worse when the alternator is under load, i.e. lots of electrical items switched on.

never heard this noise on my c43!!
check for,tensioner, idler puley, harmonic balancer problems?
engine beltnoise doesn't sound right to me, sounds like something is grinding on certain parts or it could only be the belt going bad?

Is it a manual? sounds like it could be a clutch thrust bearing.

No automatic - Turns out the tensioner had gone, so new tensioner and belt, plus a thorough going through of the associated gubbins has been done.

The video doesn't do the noise justice , was almost to painfull to stand near the car.

No automatic - Turns out the tensioner had gone, so new tensioner and belt, plus a thorough going through of the associated gubbins has been done.

The video doesn't do the noise justice , was almost to painfull to stand near the car.

if you haven't changed the belt tensioner, don't drive the car could be risky for you??

if you have the old style tensioner, it's a bolt sticking out in the center of the pulley and the pulley is from metal.
new style tensioner has a flat bolt with a plastic pulley.

Thanks - I got it to my mechanic (Steve at Klasse of Fulham) this morning without any drama, and they have ordered the parts, should be back to me tomorrow.

Thanks - I got it to my mechanic (Steve at Klasse of Fulham) this morning without any drama, and they have ordered the parts, should be back to me tomorrow.

glad you got away cheap with parts only.

Is it all sorted now? :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom