C43 rusty sills again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

waisal

Car
W202 C43 AMG
Hello

Unfortunately I have discovered rust on drivers side rear sill. I was doing some work on the rear brake and tried to place a stand just behind the jacking point and heard a crunch, thankfully didnt go all the way through but has definitely distorted the weakened rusted metal.

The jacking point it self seems relatively solid but I havent removed side skirts to check the whole sill yet also it has been waxoyled in the past so is covered in the an old coating.

I have looked through the threads and seen that it can be quite an extensive problem on some w202s so will have it inspected.Can anyone recommend a good welding/repair shop in the Manchester area. Also a ball park figure for cost if I needed a few points on the sill welding with new metal.

Thanks

It is not a good idea to put an axle stand at that point for the sake of your own safety.

I would place it somewhere more structurally rigid such as under the arm where the rear spring sits.

Are the 204's still a victim of rust?

Not that I am aware, but I owned a W202 for 10 years and they are known to rust under the sill covers around the vicinity of the jacking points.

Last edited:
Hello

Unfortunately I have discovered rust on drivers side rear sill. I was doing some work on the rear brake and tried to place a stand just behind the jacking point and heard a crunch, thankfully didnt go all the way through but has definitely distorted the weakened rusted metal.

The jacking point it self seems relatively solid but I havent removed side skirts to check the whole sill yet also it has been waxoyled in the past so is covered in the an old coating.

I have looked through the threads and seen that it can be quite an extensive problem on some w202s so will have it inspected.Can anyone recommend a good welding/repair shop in the Manchester area. Also a ball park figure for cost if I needed a few points on the sill welding with new metal.

Thanks

Again? Have you not Waxoiled inside the sill cavity? Without waxoil your 202 is a ticking time bomb, you need to remove the carpet covering the inner sill and drill a series of 3-4mm holes along its length and work your way along with the stuff coating every inner surface.

I would expect to see a £300-400 bill per side, assuming it's as bad as mine, I did mine myself but you can expect to see similar results, (1999 S202), here's the link if you need an idea of what to expect (bottom of page).

Mercedes C250TD Wagon - into - C300TD Wagon.. | Retro Rides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom