C43 Steering Wheel - Repaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Someone a while back asked where to get touch up paint for a C43 steering wheel - the silvery-white are gets discoloured after a while.

I called BSG as I saw Stuart there doing this once.

He put me onto Gliptone

They've sent me a sampler - I'll have a go next week - looks like the right stuff though.

Ive used liquid leather on seats with good long lasting results.. but not sure how long it would last on a steering wheel..

Ive used liquid leather on seats with good long lasting results.. but not sure how long it would last on a steering wheel..

Hi - yes I bought some Liquid Leather at the same time.

The plan is to clean the wheel, gear knob and wheel using liquid leather cleaner.

Then paint the wheel and gear knob with the touch up paint.

Then feed the lot with liquid leather feed.

I use swisol (now swissvax) leather dye on gear knob and steering wheel. Finish of with Sonus leather conditioner (non greasy matt finish). IMO conditioning leather once a month is more than enough to make finsh & color last much longer (even in high rub areas).

I use swisol (now swissvax) leather dye on gear knob and steering wheel. Finish of with Sonus leather conditioner (non greasy matt finish). IMO conditioning leather once a month is more than enough to make finsh & color last much longer (even in high rub areas).

Thanks - I might try that. First thing though is to paint the wheel today.

Can't wait to sort it - it's been bugging me for months.

Thanks - I might try that. First thing though is to paint the wheel today.

Can't wait to sort it - it's been bugging me for months.

Please post how you get on as this is something I am considering for mine

Please post how you get on as this is something I am considering for mine

I gave it a coat first thing. Colour match is pretty good. Painting took five mins. Picking the paint out of the little ventilation holes took ages. I'll wait till it dries and see what the finished result is.

My guess is that even with one coat (and therefore slight discoloration still shining through) it will be miles better.

If I can find the time I'll give it a second coat

End result (after one coat) is very good indeed. From a couple of feet away it looks great. So, job done, discolouratoin gone.

The only slight issue is that I was maybe over-zealous in digging out the little vent holes. When the paint was still wet I used a self tapper to scrape out the paint/dirt and I've left the surface a little rough/uneven to the touch.

When I get time I'll give the wheel surface a very gentle sand before applying a second and final coat.

I think I'll then wait for that to dry before digging out the holes again.

You can get the paint from Gliptone. It's listed as an AMG colour. Silver I think. Anyway the guy at Gliptone told me it was "the AMG colour".

I am a similar situation. I spoke to our trimmer who does all our car trimming and he says steering wheels are the hardest to do as they get so engrained with oils from your hands and it will need heavy cleaning before any paint is applied.

I am a similar situation. I spoke to our trimmer who does all our car trimming and he says steering wheels are the hardest to do as they get so engrained with oils from your hands and it will need heavy cleaning before any paint is applied.

Yes of course - goes without saying. I gave it a thorough wash with Autoglym leather cleaner first. This took most of oils out. I also gave the area a very light sand to remove the last of the dirty top layer.

If I'd been able to find some meths I'd also have used that (recommended by Gliptone).

In any case looks like the leather cleaner was enough.

Every time I get in the car now I'm pleased I found the 90 mins or so so do the job.

Love to see a pic:) as mine has worn quite heavily to

Lynall

Love to see a pic:) as mine has worn quite heavily to

Lynall

I'll try when I have some spare time.

Basically from more that 2 feet away it looks factory.

If you peer closely you can see the odd brush mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom