C43/V8 Burning Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McGreggor

Car
CLS55 AMG
I've just driven through Spain and back after getting there on the P&O floating prison from portsmouth, must have done well over 2000km without any problems. However, I got back early evening yesterday and poped out locally later that evening, and my low oil light came on! :eek: I pulled over straight away and checked, and it was under the low mark, but since found that was due to the gradient where I had stopped. On level ground, the level shows 3-4mm above the low mark. I guess this is not critically low, the light only seems to come on down hill, and goes off again on the level. I'm going to be sticking in a few litres of Mobil1 0W-40 in today, I'm just wondering if any other C43, or V8 owners consume oil like this? The manual does say anything up to a litre per 1000km but I don't know how much has actually been used as I put it through my garage to check everything was all ok before I left.

Be careful not to overfill ... the difference between the low and high marks on the dipstick is about 1 to 1.5 liters.

Also check the oil level when engine is cold, and on the flat.

McGreggor said:
I'm going to be sticking in a few litres of Mobil1 0W-40 in today, I'm just wondering if any other C43, or V8 owners consume oil like this?

Mine drinks a lot also, was going to get it checked out but have not had the time....

I think MB says oil consumption is acceptable upto 1 liter per 1000 KM ?

regards,

Job

jgevers said:

regards,

Job

Yup, as i said in my original post :p But if difference between the two marks is only 1.5litres, as C240Sport97 says, its not as bad as I thought.

McGreggor said:
Yup, as i said in my original post :p But if difference between the two marks is only 1.5litres, as C240Sport97 says, its not as bad as I thought.

Hi,

I'll read better next time..... You might find that Mobil 1 0w40 gets consumed a bit quick. Why not change to another type of synthetic oil that is polarised a bit more.

Motul 300V, Shell Ultra and Red Line spring to mind.

Regards,

Job

I'm using that oil as its what was last used by my garage, I thought it best to use the same stuff thats in there, but its good to know its consumed faster than other oils, another pointer that its nothing serious...... hopefully.

I used to have a similar problem with a 500 i owned. I switched from Mobil 1 0w40 to Mobil 1 Fully synthetic 15-50 and it cured the problem. Fellow Amg owners i know used the Castrol 10-60 fully synthetic oil.

jgevers said:

regards,

Job
Hi Job,
I have never owned one of these very nice cars, and I really respect your inputs. I am just surprised that a V8 uses just under a pint of oil every 300 miles? 1.76pints = 1 litre

I must emphasis I do not doubt you, it simply surprises me.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Hi Job,
I have never owned one of these very nice cars, and I really respect your inputs. I am just surprised that a V8 uses just under a pint of oil every 300 miles? 1.76pints = 1 litre

I must emphasis I do not doubt you, it simply surprises me.

Regards,
John

These numbers are from MB. As far as I am concerned 1L per 1000KM is to much nowadays. However with the very thin oils with very little polarity it is not uncommon. That's why changing to a different oil manufacturer sometimes helps, even if you keep the grade the same.

I think the 1L per 1000KM set by MB (and most other manufacturers) is to keep them from paying for wear and tear warranty claims like pistons rings, turbo seals etc. etc.

If I had a car that drank oil at that rate, I would take it to bits or sell it. Even though it was normal in the 60ies and 70ies for car to consume a huge amount of oil.

Personally I would accept about a litre every 3000 miles as normal. But remember that engines will use more oil if they are highly loaded and/or running at high revs. So a car that normally sits at 70mph on the motorway and uses hardly any oil might use a lot more if put at 120mph for a period of time.

regards

Job

But don't forget that these cars get driven hard. Its part of the reason of buying an AMG, but i do agree 1 litre every 1k is slighly worrying but dependant on driving conditions.

Just a totally random thought - didn't your car have Slick 50 put in it before you bought it? Might be totally unrelated, but you never know...

And yes, 1 litre per 1000Km does sound high to me, but if driven hard using very thin oil, I suppose it is possible? On the bright side, the oil light did it's job and works ;)

Will

Will said:
Just a totally random thought - didn't your car have Slick 50 put in it before you bought it? Might be totally unrelated, but you never know...

And yes, 1 litre per 1000Km does sound high to me, but if driven hard using very thin oil, I suppose it is possible? On the bright side, the oil light did it's job and works ;)

Will

Yeah, and at least i had an early warning living on the hilly south coast too! Not sure if the slick 50 could be effecting it, if the previous owner was using it, it's only had one change of oil since so maybe. I'll ask my garage when i next take it in.

In the Mercedes enthusiast they did an article on the C43 and Birds of Uxbridge recommended Mobil 1 15/50 Synthetic, they sevice AMG Brabus etc.

Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom