C43 Winter Wheels & tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterCee

Car
C43 Saloon 2017
Just bought a 2017 C43 Saloon and wanting to use a set of existing hardly used Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres in 225 x 45 R18 size on some new winter wheels.

The car currently has - Front : 225x40R19 on 7.5J 19 inch wheel with ET33 - Rear: 255x35 R19 on 8.5J 19 inch wheel with ET52

To try and keep clearances similar I am proposing to try and obtain some 18 inch wheels with different offsets front and rear as follows:
Front: 225 x 45 R18 on 7.5J ET33 - Rear 225 x 45 R18 on 7.5J ET45.

Do you think this is feasible and has anyone else done this ?

The front offset is wrong for the 18, but that's not to say it doesn't fit. AMG suspension and brakes need ET44 wheels from memory. I would presume you could put the same on the rear.

Shameless plug but I have a set staggered OEM rims, Centre caps and TPMS for sale.

The OEM 19 inch wheels I’ve got on the car are being sold on a German site as ET33 for the front. I might take mine off on Monday and see what it says on the back of them.
Same size rears are more flexible if you want to even out the wear.

The OEM 19 inch wheels I’ve got on the car are being sold on a German site as ET33 for the front. I might take mine off on Monday and see what it says on the back of them.
Same size rears are more flexible if you want to even out the wear.
That is correct for some styles of the 19”, it does depend on style. The multi spoke 19’s that I had on my S205 when I ordered it were also ET 33 due to having different dish to the standard fit ET44 18’s that I bought for winter use if that makes sense. The off set can be adjusted whatever you decide to go for with spacers in any case, especially if you are going for a square set up.

To try and keep clearances similar I am proposing to try and obtain some 18 inch wheels with different offsets front and rear as follows:
Front: 225 x 45 R18 on 7.5J ET33 - Rear 225 x 45 R18 on 7.5J ET45.

Do you think this is feasible and has anyone else done this ?
I bought 18" wheels from Mercedes for winter, they all have the same offset and the winter tyres are all 225/50x18, that is what Mercedes recommend for my W205.

I bought 18" wheels from Mercedes for winter, they all have the same offset and the winter tyres are all 225/50x18, that is what Mercedes recommend for my W205.
Do you know what width and offset they were ?

The front offset is wrong for the 18, but that's not to say it doesn't fit. AMG suspension and brakes need ET44 wheels from memory. I would presume you could put the same on the rear.

Shameless plug but I have a set staggered OEM rims, Centre caps and TPMS for sale.
What size are these ?

What size are these ?
They are a staggered set of 18's:

Front Part no: A2054011100 - 7.5J x 18 ET44
Rear Part no: A2054011200 - 8.5J x 18 ET49

Here is the link, I have actually had them all refurbed now, new pictures at the bottom.

They are a staggered set of 18's:

Front Part no: A2054011100 - 7.5J x 18 ET44
Rear Part no: A2054011200 - 8.5J x 18 ET49

Here is the link, I have actually had them all refurbed now, new pictures at the bottom.

Hmmm....I don't think they are right for me.

I checked the alloys this morning and they are definitely 7.5J ET33 on the front & 8.5J ET52 on the rear so I'd prefer to stick to these offsets.

Hmmm....I don't think they are right for me.

I checked the alloys this morning and they are definitely 7.5J ET33 on the front & 8.5J ET52 on the rear so I'd prefer to stick to these offsets.
Fair enough. Which wheel style does you car have on it though?

These (and yes the bonnet isn't properly closed on that shot) ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes, the extra optional 19's. Those are ET33 then, and the front calipers are larger according to Kunzmann.de so the 33 offset is correct. The standard 18's for the C43 have a rear offset of 49 but I can only see them in 8.5j width.

Yes, the extra optional 19's. Those are ET33 then, and the front calipers are larger according to Kunzmann.de so the 33 offset is correct. The standard 18's for the C43 have a rear offset of 49 but I can only see them in 8.5j width.
So is the theory that the optional 19's come with larger than normal front calipers ?

They do look big and have very little clearance between the caliper and the back of the arms of the wheel.

So is the theory that the optional 19's come with larger than normal front calipers ?

They do look big and have very little clearance between the caliper and the back of the arms of the wheel.
No, I didn't word that very well. The C43 has larger calipers than other models, so the 18" front wheels I have won't fit your car (despite looking identical to the standard C43 wheels) due to them needing a bigger offset and having a different dish, the part numbers are completely different.

The 19" options for the C43 are also different part numbers to the exact same 19" wheels available on 2020MY 'AMG line' C classes for the same reason, the C43 wheels are larger to account for the bigger calipers. Obviously, you wont have any problem fitting wheels of the C63 as these also have larger brakes.

Have look here and you can compare sizes and offsets:

Last edited:
Had a good look through the shop and the 18 inch snow wheels and tyres that they sell (at hideous cost) for c43 are both 7.5J with front ET33 and rear ET44 so I think I’ll go for those size wheels with my trusty nearly new Goodyear Ultragrip 8’s.

Just need to ensure the arms clear the front callipers.

Just to update this thread…

To fit my 245x45 R18 winter tyres on the C43 I eventually fitted these

18" MSW 30 Black Polished Alloy Wheels

They are 8 inch wide ET30 wheels MSW30 by OZ, same size front and rear.

The fronts have loads of clearance for the caliper both behind the arms and inside the rim – and clearance to the suspension arms is fine at around 5mm.

Quite a handy price at £689 for the set of 4 and finished off with a £10 set of ebay 75mm Mercedes star centre caps plus some compatible tyre pressure monitoring sensors at £25 each.

I think they look quite Mercedes like on the vehicle and remind me of AMG multispokes at a fraction of the price.

Stone damage to my front grille also gave me the opportunity to swap it for a CKS Performance Panamericana – controversial maybe , but I think it suits the car.

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_64961.jpgIMG_6491.jpeg

I also fitted the CKS Panam grill. It definitely suit the car and makes it different to the other W205s. Something that Mercedes forgot to do with the C43 😀. The wheels look good. How do you find the ride in comparison to the 19s ?

Last edited:
According to some of the spy shots of the new C43, it will be fitted with the Panam grille, so this will become the norm in the future. I also think it doesn’t look too intrusive on a silver car.

The ride quality on the 18 inch non run flat Goodyear Ultragrips is much smoother. Ive driven a C43 with 18 inch wheels and run flats and whilst it was marginally better than 19 inch and run flats, it wasn’t as good as this and there’s no crabbing.

I am tempted to ditch the 19 inch Dunlop Runflats on the summer wheels and go for non run flats MP4S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom