C55 AMG buyers guide.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starky

Car
W211
Hi all,

I have good friend of mine who is considering a C55 AMG. I've hit the search button, but I'm unable to find one. Am I right in saying that most of the problems would be similar to my c32?

Any help and advice would be great. Also if any one is considering selling theirs please pm me.:thumb:

Engine & gearbox are considered bomb proof. Unless you hear ominous rattles (as in any car)

Ancillaries are not bomb proof and cost a bomb!! AC compressor, Alternator, Power Steering Pump. AC can cost up to £800 if the compressor/drier is duff.

Suspension bushing does not survive too long but is like your your C32 in cost.

They all whine when first started. Not a great sound. I believe that is a pump priming? However after about 20 seconds all you should hear is the V8 ticking over smoothly with a very slight belt whine.

The V8 itself is meant to be a tough bird. I have no experience with a C32 but I iamgine there are many similarities. My problems have been;

Remote locking operation - fuse 8 in the boot etc
Suspension wear - PO fixed
Starts without turning over excessively or fail to start when hot - CPS is PITA to change on these
Oil burning smell in the cabin after a few minutes at low speed - leaks or blocked breathers
Engine oil leaks at the heads can be particularly stubborn
Disc wear
If estate, operation of rear wiper
Oil smoke on start-up - I saw a few with quite a big puff of the blue stuff on start up. Mine does not...
Plugs and leads are a bit pricey but ok to change with the right tool, but you know that!
Stone chips in the wheel arches etc
Transmission oil change is more of a pain coz there isn't a drain plug for the TC?
All the service history of course :)

The engine noise is really disconcerting and mine does it too, exactly as described. I woried about that for ages!!! I think it is the AC compressor waiting for oil in the fridge but I cannot say I really know!

Still love it... :-D

Can any one else add to this? :thumb:

Its a 203, depending on the year its likely it will rust.

I was under the impression that it being a later w203 it would have been galvanised, there for not suffering from the same rust issues?

I was under the impression that it being a later w203 it would have been galvanised, there for not suffering from the same rust issues?

You did not mention the year, i have a 2001 C320 that looked fine up until a year ago, then started to go downhill rapidly, arches, door shuts, boot lock etc.

I think post 2004 they are galvanised.

C55 are galvanised. Defo check the heated seats...common failure. Also all electrics. Other common fault is the failure of a flapper motor in the dash. Whole dash needs to come out for replacement. In the 4years I had my C55 it only needed a cps and a maf done. Electrically, heated seats, flapper motor, rear speaker do amplifier and CD player. All with in the first few months. All warranty.

You did not mention the year, i have a 2001 C320 that looked fine up until a year ago, then started to go downhill rapidly, arches, door shuts, boot lock etc.

I think post 2004 they are galvanised.

Pretty sure C55s where post 2004.

I could add a few little things, nothing major.

-Valve covers, rocker gaskets can leak, not a major job.
-The parking brake on mine wouldn't release itself. Its an easy fix. Just lift up the rear seats, and the sound proofing material, and the mechanism is right there, open to the elements from under the car. Sprayed some grease on it, and put it on/off a few times and its now spot on
-Heated seats

I also hate that whine noise, ruins it a little. Just get the secondary cats removed and silencer, its less of a problem then. ;)

Ive had a few other little things ive sorted, but there mostly cosmetic, and expected on a 10 year old car.:cool:

I don't know if it's normal, but if I've been really giving it some it smells a bit of catalytic converter from the tailpipes. No fault codes or anything, and no shortage of power... I mean like a full and sustained full throttle job. Anyone else have this? Is it normal??

Dunno about that gazz, but mine seems to throw quite a bit of soot out of the tailpipes, they turn black after a few days, its pretty annoying lol.

I had the exhaust and remap done at MSL on Friday, love it now.:D

Video Grovsie !!

Nice !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom