C55 AMG Crank sensor replacement M113 V8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Hi

You will notice I have titled this post 'C55' Crank sensor replacement and THEN put M113 V8 after it.

I wish I had done that when searching the web for hints on 'how to change the crank sensor on a M113 engine fitted to a 2006 C55' and not just an 'M113 engine.'

History: I have had the car as my daily drive for over 2 years and more than 30K miles so I know it well. When it refused to (hot) start/turn over twice in one day and then once the next day after some 'spirited' driving I immediately suspected the crank sensor. These are typical tell tales that its on its way out and having exactly the same thing happen years ago on a V6 Omega I owned (very underrated cars those..) I bought a Bosh crank sensor for around £25 heavily discounted (£56 otherwise ?) from Eurocarparts.

Now here's where things get tricky. As I only searched the repair stating 'on an M113' engine all of the video's and advice shows this job to be a doddle for the average DIY mechanic, a bit fiddly but no sweat......unless of course all of the videos seen and all of the advice taken shows that big lump of an engine in a MUCH bigger engine bays than the C class has. The M113 V8 was never intended to fit into the S/W203 chassis , hence the C55 having longer front wings , a Clk front end and a saddle sump to allow it to sit low enough in a space where you would normally find a 4 cyl diesel lump.

Needless to say it was a BA$$TARD! of a job and I almost gave up, but the thought of the car not starting from hot or indeed cutting out at the most inopportune moment spurred me on.

I can swear in 4 languages (but am only really fluent in one) but even I taught my neighbors cat new words that day...did I say day ? Yes, what should have been an hour or so's work turned into the best part of the day. Partly down to the fact that half way through (remember me telling you I nearly gave up ?) I slammed the bonnet down and walked to my local pub for a lunchtime pint(s).

Suitable 'enriched' I got stuck back in. Glad I did really, the sensor I removed had no markings on it (not OEM) and had obviously been replaced before (car has 138K mile on it). Now here is the bit where you smug buggers expect me to list step by step guides on how to do this job...thats not going to happen.

All I am going to say I you have the patience of Job and the hands of a very small child or a concert pianist P.M me and I will tell you all you need to know...Better still pin your Indi down to do the job for 2 or 3 hours labour then make him sign a contract to that effect in blood, Pay him to do it and go down the pub instead.

You won't regret it :thumb:

P.S a few hundred miles later and no starting 'issues'......yet.

Drama queen!

Bet you could do it with both eyes closed and standing on one leg now that you know how to get to it ;)

Well done.

Drama queen!

Bet you could do it with both eyes closed and standing on one leg now that you know how to get to it ;)

Well done.
I NEVER want to do it again, whoever thought of putting a T8 torxbolt at the BOTTOM of the sensor bracket ought to be strung up.It doesn't even make sense when there is more room in the engine bay, and I can see no design reason why the bolt hole could not be at the top (upper) part of the bell housing. But we MUST NOT EVER question what MB designers do...EVER :mad::rolleyes:

The CPS was one job I was happy to leave to my indy.
Possibly overpaid at just over £200 inc part but one look at the location made the decision for me.

I didn’t have any trouble replacing the CPS on my 208 CLK55 (same engine). It was tight between the bulkhead and the engine but the 208 CLK is based upon the 202 C-class chassis, much like the 209 was based on the 203 I thought.

I know the 203 ‘55 has the front wings etc from the 209 but surprised to hear it’s much tighter back at the bulkhead end where the CPS is located :)

The CPS was one job I was happy to leave to my indy.
Possibly overpaid at just over £200 inc part but one look at the location made the decision for me.
No. That was money well spent. If he hit you full retail on the price of a genuine sensor , the rest is the price few hours labour.

I didn’t have any trouble replacing the CPS on my 208 CLK55 (same engine). It was tight between the bulkhead and the engine but the 208 CLK is based upon the 202 C-class chassis, much like the 209 was based on the 203 I thought.

I know the 203 ‘55 has the front wings etc from the 209 but surprised to hear it’s much tighter back at the bulkhead end where the CPS is located :)
Not sure what might be different under the bonnet of a CLK, Battery size/position ? engine 10mm forward ? Bulkhead slightly different ? Who knows ? But I make my living working on mechanical/electrical things more complex than what lies beneath the bonnet of my car and I am used to having a 'tough' time servicing/repairing all sorts of machinery and what I had to do to get to the CPS was way more than I would normally expect. I needed to use my 6mm digital endoscope camera with L.E.D just to get 'eyes' on the thing (even though I knew where it was) ..and that was just the beginning

I didnt realise a faulty cps would stop the engine turning over. I thought it would just not fire.

I didnt realise a faulty cps would stop the engine turning over. I thought it would just not fire.
You are correct, a faulty CPS won’t prevent the engine from turning over, just prevents it starting up/running.

No. That was money well spent. If he hit you full retail on the price of a genuine sensor , the rest is the price few hours labour.

I was charged £96 for the sensor and the rest labour Pete.

You are correct, a faulty CPS won’t prevent the engine from turning over, just prevents it starting up/running.

With a fawlty CPS, engine needs to cool down a few HRS then it will start with possible issues.
There are two types of CPS for w202/w208/w210 = early and late version CPS.
On late version, it's a design change on CPS installing it back of the engine

I'd no problem doing mine

20 mins tops and that was my first time

Even did a little bit of a bid on location for others

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For the record, doing the job on the W209 5.0 M113 is no easier.
I'm pretty sure that the cramped conditions in the W209/W203 chassis exacerbates the problem by keeping the heat from the exhaust manifold close to the sensor, as well as making it a right pain to fix. When replacing mine, I slipped a tube of thermal insulation around the CPS + wiring loom to try to keep it a bit cooler. So far, the replacement has managed almost 100K without failing. Yes, I know, tempting fate...
Ian.

I'd no problem doing mine

20 mins tops and that was my first time

Even did a little bit of a bid on location for others

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
position on engine 100% the same as C55 AMG. But 'pipe work' , cables , leads etc couldn't be more different.it is not possible to look down into the engine bay and even see the thing , let alone take photos of it without moving all sorts of wiring/pipework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom